U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 09:04 AM

6,005 posts, read 13,188,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Actually, that major is pretty worthless.
Speaking as someone with an MFA, I both agree and disagree.

The problem is not the field she chose but more so the school and program she chose. I grew up in Boston and the Harvard Extension School kind of had a rep that it's a pricey community college for people who want to pay for the Harvard label (though from what I hear, it uses the same material and even professors at times). IIRC, it does offer a backdoor way of matriculating into the main Harvard schools, but in reality, it's a separate entity with different admission requirements. Also, as the article mentions, the ART doesn't have the endowment Harvard has and offers little to no finaid. Other schools with theater majors may offer fellowships, especially at the MFA level. I spent half as much on my MFA and probably could have spent even less if I had worked full time and hadn't done a study abroad program (je ne regrette rein). Plenty of people pick up MFA degrees without such heavy loan burdens.

For theater, an MFA is the preferred degree. I'm not even sure she could teach theater courses at a prestigious school with that degree (not sure if NYU or Julliard would hire her to teach even with the "Harvard" name attached, not unless she makes a big name for herself). Teaching has always been a viable fallback for working artists, especially those with advanced degrees. Having a masters in liberal arts isn't going to make her stand out from those with an MFA from even a "lesser" school without the Harvard label.

I agree that she needs to leave LA- it's too saturated at this point. Even Chicago would be better, though smaller cities like Seattle, Portland, Philly, etc would be good, depending on her style. In LA she would really have to stand out and it's obvious that by this point, she hasn't.

Last edited by eevee; 08-11-2017 at 09:07 AM.. Reason: meant ART, not HES
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 01:36 PM

5,652 posts, read 5,115,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Actually, that major is pretty worthless.
Nope. Undergrad maybe, but an MFA in theater from a strong school? Definitely not. That's the terminal degree in that field. You can teach at both the high school and college level, run a theater, run an arts-related non profit, offer your own acting classes, write about the arts for local publications, run a creative department in an advertising firm, etc. That's if you don't become a working actor.

Add to the fact that almost all the best programs set the students up to leave with very little debt and you can graduate in the best possble position for someone making a career the arts.

What you don't do is pay out the nose for a degree-mill type program then move to the most expensive, high risk place possible with no job in hand. Unless she had a hig powered agent (or a connected cousin LOL) in the business waiting n LA to hook her up, that was an extremely silly move.

Old 08-15-2017, 04:22 AM

1,947 posts, read 3,309,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Unless you either go to that top tier law school and graduate int he top quarter, have solid business connections aor are an absolutely remarkable salesman, a law degree will also be essentially useless. You als may very well find yourself trapped by loan debt in a job you find intolerable. The legal profession is not what it was. It is overcrowded, ugly and dirty. The process of rising to success is horrible and can ruin your life and/or turn you into a rotten person. There are a lot more jobs and in many cases better pay for a programmer, but you will probably need a degree unless you somehow demonstrate equivalent knowledge and skills (like develop and patent a software system).
A typical starting salary for a new lawyer is $35K-$40K per year - and that is for the ones who find jobs in the legal profession!

As our youngest said to me a few months ago; "I have five friends who have law degrees, only two of them found work as lawyers, and only one of those makes enough money to support himself."

Old 08-15-2017, 04:27 AM

42,272 posts, read 49,833,895 times
She only pays $600 for rent?! Wow.

Old 08-15-2017, 04:39 AM

9,336 posts, read 11,172,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
She only pays $600 for rent?! Wow.
She rents a room at that price....

Old 08-15-2017, 07:22 AM

1,417 posts, read 812,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
A typical starting salary for a new lawyer is $35K-$40K per year - and that is for the ones who find jobs in the legal profession!

As our youngest said to me a few months ago; "I have five friends who have law degrees, only two of them found work as lawyers, and only one of those makes enough money to support himself."
I went to law school and started at $160k + bonus, along with thousands of others in my class year across the country. Three years later, I ended up working on a deal that netted me nearly $500k of take home pay in a single year. I now make mid-200's in salary plus an occasional six figure retention bonus.

I had no special connections or business ties, didn't hustle or sell myself- I just did well in law school. If you are diligent and do well in school, you get multiple offers. I had interviews with 19 firms, all paying over $130k; 11 paid over $160k. My school was a lower tier 1, nothing fancy.

If you're the type to party on weekends and wait until the last minute to do your homework, you won't do well in law school. But if you treat it like a job- 40-60 hours a week of diligent work during the semester, you'll easily be in the magical "top 25%". Don't let the failures be the reason that you don't go to law school- model yourself after the winners.

Old 08-15-2017, 07:28 AM

24,737 posts, read 59,671,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post

It depends on the field. If you include those who are working as Kelly Temp lawyers reviewing documents for $22/hour and include government lawyers positions that pay as little as $30 k to start. Yes that may be the average. However if you mean typical law firm starting pay, it is between $60 and $90 K. THat is pretty poor given to cost of a law degree and the hours required (generally close to 100 hours a week if you include administrative time and marketing). What amazes me is that in 1988, I started at $62,000/year and that was lower than many of my classmates. Starting pay for lawyers went way up through about 2008, but then it tanked and has stayed down, at least as of two years ago.

Old 08-15-2017, 12:18 PM

23,265 posts, read 16,096,003 times
Artists often take waiter or similar jobs because they spend all their time focusing on wanting to make it big in Hollywood. Of course the competition is fierce there.

Basically she should have made sure she had a viable second career. It's not the issue with the school or the loan provider, this is entirely on her.

She needs to get a new career.

Old 08-15-2017, 12:26 PM

15,747 posts, read 11,777,149 times
I thought only supersmart people are at Harvard.

The only thing she seems to be smart about is her rent.

Old 08-15-2017, 01:49 PM

1,039 posts, read 345,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
The problem is not the field she chose but more so the school and program she chose. I grew up in Boston and the Harvard Extension School kind of had a rep that it's a pricey community college for people who want to pay for the Harvard label (though from what I hear, it uses the same material and even professors at times
Absolutely. 100%. Harvard Univesity does not grant MFAs. It is common knowledge that degrees from HES are not as well-regarded as degrees from Harvard College or the other schools in the university (e.g. GSAS, medicine, law, business, kennedy, dental medicine, etc).

One must also note that MFA students who graduate from the more respected schools in the field (e.g. Yale, Tisch, Julliard) don't leave with as much debt on average.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or