U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 02:22 PM

9,291 posts, read 11,138,237 times

Advertisements

https://www.boston.com/culture/local...theater-degree

Quote:
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. — Twelve years after finishing Harvard’s graduate theater program, Katierose Donohue still pays almost as much in student loans each month — about $650 — as for her share of the rent in Los Angeles. She recently stopped hosting her monthly sketch comedy show, “Ma’am,” because she didn’t always break even on her $200 budget. She’s now working side jobs as a dog walker and a social media copywriter, after past gigs serving at Starbucks and handing out free cigarettes for Camel.

She should have gone to community college if she wanted to do community theater!

Last edited by toobusytoday; 08-08-2017 at 08:44 PM.. Reason: fixed quote removed a sentence. please just quote a snippet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 02:47 PM

24,717 posts, read 59,563,864 times
LA is a terrible place to try to get started as an actor. A million kids scrabbling around certain they will be "discovered" the moment a casting director for a movie walks into their restaurant. Go somewhere less packed full of wannbees and get some experience. Eventually you may have a resume that will get a casting peon to look at you for a small movie part. If nothing comes of it, you will at least have equity, then you can make a good living charging all those idiots in LA $100 an hour for acting lessons. You can make a decent living doing that. They do not care if you teach them anything, They just want to put on their resume they studied under an equity actor or actress. IF she stays in LA in 20 years she will still be a waitress, still be paying on her loans and still be paying some small time equity actress $100 an hour for lessons.

Old 08-08-2017, 02:50 PM

4,116 posts, read 1,535,580 times
Maybe she should have opted for the "deluxe" degree package (upgrade for just a few more thousand) that would have given her an employable skill so she could pay back that loan a little faster once she graduated. Pretty sad story.

Old 08-08-2017, 02:54 PM

32,798 posts, read 30,025,534 times
Pretty poor decision making.

Old 08-08-2017, 07:49 PM

3,819 posts, read 4,869,549 times
1. If she only owes $75K, she is actually doing pretty well. My step brother went to a bottom tiered state college and racked up more than that.

2. How was she smart enough to be admitted if she didn't have the intelligence to foresee this problem? I mean, Harvard + her degree & career choice rarely equals money.....

Old 08-08-2017, 08:02 PM

4,554 posts, read 2,021,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
https://www.boston.com/culture/local...theater-degree

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. — Twelve years after finishing Harvard’s graduate theater program, Katierose Donohue still pays almost as much in student loans each month — about $650 — as for her share of the rent in Los Angeles. She recently stopped hosting her monthly sketch comedy show, “Ma’am,” because she didn’t always break even on her $200 budget. She’s now working side jobs as a dog walker and a social media copywriter, after past gigs serving at Starbucks and handing out free cigarettes for Camel.

She’s never missed a loan payment, but there’s no end in sight: She borrowed nearly $75,000 to attend the American Repertory Theater Institute at Harvard and still owes about $54,000.

She should have gone to community college if she wanted to do community theater!
She only needs one good gig that will pay off the loan.💰 It's Hollywood! 🎞You never know...🌠 I hope she lands it.🌈I know many may think her degree was a mistake, but if it is her 'calling' who are we to say?🔮 Everyone benefits from entertainment. 🎭

Old 08-10-2017, 06:20 AM

93 posts, read 67,611 times
This scares me because my major is also useless. If I don't get into a top tier law school it's time to become a self taught programmer.

Old 08-10-2017, 08:34 AM

5,642 posts, read 5,104,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadedfadedisbae View Post
This scares me because my major is also useless. If I don't get into a top tier law school it's time to become a self taught programmer.
Her major is not useless, she just went the most low-paying, risky path with it. There are graduate theater programs that provide much more aid.

Plus it's a graudate degree up for discussion here, not undergrad.

Old 08-10-2017, 08:34 AM

24,717 posts, read 59,563,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadedfadedisbae View Post
Unless you either go to that top tier law school and graduate int he top quarter, have solid business connections aor are an absolutely remarkable salesman, a law degree will also be essentially useless. You als may very well find yourself trapped by loan debt in a job you find intolerable. The legal profession is not what it was. It is overcrowded, ugly and dirty. The process of rising to success is horrible and can ruin your life and/or turn you into a rotten person. There are a lot more jobs and in many cases better pay for a programmer, but you will probably need a degree unless you somehow demonstrate equivalent knowledge and skills (like develop and patent a software system).

Old 08-10-2017, 10:38 PM

3,020 posts, read 1,381,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
Her major is not useless, she just went the most low-paying, risky path with it. There are graduate theater programs that provide much more aid.

Plus it's a graudate degree up for discussion here, not undergrad.
Actually, that major is pretty worthless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or