U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 03:05 AM

6,308 posts, read 4,779,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
For me, what you learn would be the deciding factor.

I'd be much more likely to spend 50K a year to send my kid to Julliard over some mediocre music school than I would to send him to say ... UPenn over Rutgers to study business.
I disagree. A Wharton MBA can get a $200K job that most Rutgers MBAs would never be considered for. These numbers are unreal: https://statistics.mbacareers.wharto...edu/full-time/

I don't know anything about their undergrad program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2017, 08:54 AM

6,965 posts, read 10,853,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
I disagree. A Wharton MBA can get a $200K job that most Rutgers MBAs would never be considered for. These numbers are unreal: https://statistics.mbacareers.wharto...edu/full-time/

I don't know anything about their undergrad program.
I was talking about undergrad.

Like I said before in a different thread, nobody just gives you a 200K a year job because you have a degree attached to your name.

You have to work for that 200K by making clients $. And if you don't cut it, someone else is always willing to take your place. How do you think a company is able to pay a 29 year old kid 200K a year? By making its clients a lot of $. If you don't make $ for your clients, you're gone.

This is something kids just don't understand.

Old 10-11-2017, 10:35 AM

3,091 posts, read 2,558,593 times
Quote:

Like I said before in a different thread, nobody just gives you a 200K a year job because you have a degree attached to your name.

You have to work for that 200K by making clients $. And if you don't cut it, someone else is always willing to take your place. How do you think a company is able to pay a 29 year old kid 200K a year? By making its clients a lot of $. If you don't make $ for your clients, you're gone.

Most of the Wharton undergrads I know are doing pretty well. They may not be doing the same thing now that they were doing when they graduated, but the recruiting is fantastic and having that top experience on your resume early on in your professional life can alter the trajectory of your career positively, no matter what you do.

You're right about the hustle though, and if our kids came to us for some direction, we'd also recommend they go into medicine.

Old 10-11-2017, 07:21 PM

35,822 posts, read 39,431,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
It depends on what you want to do. If you want to get into big law, mbb consulting, investment banking, etc. then an elite academic pedigree is a huge advantage.

Either way, many of the elite schools have pretty good need-based financial aid. Middle-class students aren't paying sticker price.
Yep. I went to an "elite" school for less out of pocket than most of my peers who went to choose with lesser reputations and lower sticker prices.

Old 10-11-2017, 07:50 PM

6,308 posts, read 4,779,491 times
Quote:

I agree that many kids don't understand this; some do. Wharton or Booth or Harvard only accepts MBA applicants that it thinks will make their employers money. They require job experience and reject most applicants. If you can get in and are interested in a business career, you should go.

Old 11-09-2017, 08:46 PM

5 posts, read 1,599 times
Let me put it this way: I've met people that are from elite schools earning low wage or unemployed. I've met people who didn't go to elites, although they went to schools with good reps, and have very good careers and are happy with what they earn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or