U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 11:22 PM

6,768 posts, read 9,757,198 times

Advertisements

To make this clear, a licensed mental health counselor, licensed professional counselor, licensed clinical or master social worker, licensed psychoanalyst, licensed psychological associate/assistant, or a licensed marriage and family therapist is NOT a licensed psychologist. It doesn't matter if your master's degree is in psychology. You are not a licensed psychologist if you are not a licensed psychologist. You can't work in a clinical setting calling yourself a psychologist if you only have a master's degree in psychology and one of the licenses I listed above. You will have your license revoked or suspended, and you will risk being sued.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 01:13 AM

2,880 posts, read 5,076,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Someone in another forum indicated that the EdD is not very respected, even saying that holders of the EdD "want people to call them doctor."

Is this true??
Yes and Yes.

But...the Ed.D. is much easier to get and if a job is waiting for you and if you go to a name school, It may be a better decision.

Old 09-06-2017, 01:15 AM

2,880 posts, read 5,076,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
They are both terminal degrees
Not the case at all. The PhD is not a terminal degree. In some schools, the EdD can be terminal and other schools not. Depends on the program.

Old 09-06-2017, 05:12 AM

9,360 posts, read 15,818,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post
Not the case at all. The PhD is not a terminal degree. In some schools, the EdD can be terminal and other schools not. Depends on the program.
Not only does that not make any sense, it is not true. A PhD and an EdD are both terminal degrees.

Old 09-06-2017, 05:32 AM

1,654 posts, read 551,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Not only does that not make any sense, it is not true. A PhD and an EdD are both terminal degrees.
Thank you. Yes. There are post-doc programs, but those are some sort of additional training.

Don't believe everything you read in forums; sometimes people are misinformed.

I like the peanut gallery response.

• PEANUT GALLERY (noun)
The noun PEANUT GALLERY has 2 senses:
1. (figurative) people whose criticisms are regarded as irrelevant or insignificant (resembling uneducated people who throw peanuts on the stage to express displeasure with a performance)
2. rearmost or uppermost area in the balcony containing the least expensive seats.

Old 09-07-2017, 12:08 PM

1,867 posts, read 4,559,222 times
While it is true that there are a *few* states where someone with a Master's degree in psychology can be licensed as a psychologist, that is not true in most states. On the other hand, terms like "psychotherapist," "psychoanalyst," "life coach," "counselor," and "therapist" are not protected. In other words, Joe Blow who believes in crystal life-regression mindfulness nonsense therapy (or whatever) can hang a shingle that says "Psychotherapist" and nothing can be done to him. If he, however, attempts to call himself a "psychologist," he is operating without a license and can be told by the State Board of Examiners of Psychologists to cease and desist. A Ph.D. (or Psy.D.) IS a terminal degree. To be licensed as a psychologist in the majority of states, a doctoral degree is required in addition to passing the EPPP and any relevant State Exam plus one must also have a certain number of supervised post-doctoral work hours. The requirements are stringent. Requirements for social workers, LPC's, etc... are not as stringent/extensive.

Old 09-08-2017, 04:28 AM

15,762 posts, read 13,191,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Someone in another forum indicated that the EdD is not very respected, even saying that holders of the EdD "want people to call them doctor."

Is this true??
I suppose I should expand since this has sort of turned into who is or is not a doctor.

Yes they are both terminal degrees but the amount of work behind them is why phd is more respected than edd. I say this working in both the education and science fields where both are common. Even the educators think a phd is more meaningful in terms of expertise than an edd.

Old 09-08-2017, 06:34 AM

1,654 posts, read 551,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I suppose I should expand since this has sort of turned into who is or is not a doctor.

Yes they are both terminal degrees but the amount of work behind them is why phd is more respected than edd. I say this working in both the education and science fields where both are common. Even the educators think a phd is more meaningful in terms of expertise than an edd.
Well yes, because the PhD is a research degree. But lots of writers and researchers have EdDs. There is one professor in my current program who has an EdD, a PhD, an MBA *and* a law degree! He is a delightful and modest person.

When I attended law school, there was a physician who sat next to me in Contracts who insisted on being called by his first name rather than doctor. There are plenty of double docs out there, and some with law degrees, as well.

Old 09-08-2017, 04:47 PM

1,236 posts, read 412,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
A psychologist or psychoanalyst? A psychoanalyst is not the same as a psychologist. In New York, someone with a master's degree in anything can enroll in a psychoanalyst certification program. They aren't psychologists. But, like I said, I believe there are a couple of states left that license psychologists at the master's level.

Someone with a master's degree in psychology who is licensed as a mental health counselor or professional counselor is legally not allowed to call himself or herself a psychologist because he or she is not. That would be the same as a physician assistant with a master's degree calling himself or herself a physician. Once again, you need a doctoral degree in order to be a licensed counseling psychologist or clinical psychologist in almost every state.

Well, the people who are practising (that I'm aware of ~ both from classroom and professional settings) may not be psychologists. I do know they can see patients and they don't have Ph.D.'s. My health insurance has a whole list of Master's Level mental health counseling for people to choose from. I could very well be wrong about their title (psycho analysis, vs. psychology, vs. Psychiatrist.)

https://www.psychologytoday.com/ther...alytic-therapy

Then there is experiential counselling where a therapist will use any number of methods to help her client. Not all of it is Freudian. Gestalt, and other more modern approaches.

https://www.goodtherapy.org/learn-ab...estalt-therapy

I am speaking about those individuals who do not have a Doctoral Degree, who in fact counsel patients as to their emotional well being and other life problems. They exist. They may not be called Psychologists. In my state, you can not practice medicine without a license. I have to therefore, assume they have a license to practice "therapy."

Old 09-08-2017, 04:50 PM

1,236 posts, read 412,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
While it is true that there are a *few* states where someone with a Master's degree in psychology can be licensed as a psychologist, that is not true in most states. On the other hand, terms like "psychotherapist," "psychoanalyst," "life coach," "counselor," and "therapist" are not protected. In other words, Joe Blow who believes in crystal life-regression mindfulness nonsense therapy (or whatever) can hang a shingle that says "Psychotherapist" and nothing can be done to him. If he, however, attempts to call himself a "psychologist," he is operating without a license and can be told by the State Board of Examiners of Psychologists to cease and desist. A Ph.D. (or Psy.D.) IS a terminal degree. To be licensed as a psychologist in the majority of states, a doctoral degree is required in addition to passing the EPPP and any relevant State Exam plus one must also have a certain number of supervised post-doctoral work hours. The requirements are stringent. Requirements for social workers, LPC's, etc... are not as stringent/extensive.
In NYS Master's Level degrees allows individuals set up shop and treat individuals and families. Now, since no one in NYS can practice any form of counseling (therapeutic, group, marital) or otherwise they have a license. Where they get it is likely from the governing organization of the State of New York. Does it equal licensure that Psychologists must have? Don't know. That's not my point. My point is:

There are Nurse Practictioner's
Those with Master's Level Education

counseling and providing therapeutic help for those who need it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities