U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 12:31 PM

9,036 posts, read 14,815,514 times

Advertisements

There is no degree awarded after a PhD or an EdD, so they are terminal degrees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2017, 04:31 PM

6,697 posts, read 9,310,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
In other countries, there is a higher degree, but this degree is rare in the U.S. Therefore, American terminal degrees for most fields is any doctorate whether it is a PhD, EdD, DBA PsyD, or some other kind of doctorate. Some fields have lower terminal degrees.

Old 09-28-2017, 04:38 PM

2,790 posts, read 4,882,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
LOL. It not how scholars consider "terminal" in this context.

Old 09-28-2017, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post
You clearly do not understand what "terminal" means.

Terminal degree. Take the required courses, # of units, and meet any residency requirements and you have your degree. A JD is terminal. An MBA is terminal. And yes, an M.D. is a terminal degree. Some Ed.D. programs are designed to be terminal in that the doctoral "dissertation" is a paper written within the context of a class or classes.

The obtaining is not a terminal degree. You can get in in three years or eight. Or not at all. While you need to satisfy course requirements and demonstrate mastery over fundamental principles, the Ph.D. dissertation is supposed to be a substantial piece of research that contributes to the body of literature in your discipline. There is no defined end point. This there is no terminus.

There are Ed.D. programs,usually a major research universities which are designed in a way similar to Ph.D. programs. There is one difference, however. What is the literature that is being mastered? Education is itself a multi- and interdisciplinary field. And the study of education is more akin to a professional program (law, business, medicine) than traditional academic scholarship leading to a Ph.D.

Of course, professional schools are recognizing both the disquiet among more scholarly students and in the schools themselves. In law, there is now the S.J.D., effectively a Ph.D. in law. In Med schools, scholarly researchers enter M.D./Ph.D. programs where they earn both. Top B-schools, over Ph.D.s. And many schools of education now offer Ph.D.s.

Disclaimer: I was in a Ed.D. program at a major research university. This question of Ed.D. vs. Ph.D. was constantly debated among students. I eventually left, not because of the anxiety over the debate, but to get a Ph.D. in a discipline.
A terminal degree is the highest degree offered in a given field or the degree that is generally accepted as the highest needed in a given field. A PhD is the highest degree awarded for criminal justice, so I am in the process of earning a terminal degree. It's really no more complicated than that.

What's terminal can change over time. The MFA is considered terminal, but it looks like it might be replaced by the PhD and/or another type of doctorate.

Last edited by L210; 09-28-2017 at 04:51 PM..

Old 09-28-2017, 08:03 PM

9,036 posts, read 14,815,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post
LOL. It not how scholars consider "terminal" in this context.
It is getting more and more difficult to believe that you are actually in higher education.

Old 10-11-2017, 08:46 AM

880 posts, read 258,181 times
Yet many departments do have post-doc programs, at least in the sciences. Chemistry comes to mind.

I had a summer job when I was an undergraduate, calling people to confirm their attendance at a conference. Many of them had medical degrees, a PhD in a science and a law degree! MD, PhD and JD. Double or triple docs. In the music department of a school I attended, some people pursued a DMA, which is a performance degree and a PhD in musicology. Double docs. Where I'm studying now there is a professor who has an EdD, a PhD, a JD (a law degree, and he is currently licensed to practice) and an MBA.

These are all people who love school and, presumably, scholarship.

Old 10-11-2017, 11:19 AM

880 posts, read 258,181 times
Also, law students who have law degrees from non-US countries can study in U.S. law schools and get a doctorate in U.S. law, an Lld.

The JD is a Juris Doctorate, but feels more like a master's program, since it is persued after the undergraduate degree.

Getting multiple degrees can be viewed as a way of postponing adulthood. :-)

Old 10-11-2017, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Also, law students who have law degrees from non-US countries can study in U.S. law schools and get a doctorate in U.S. law, an Lld.

The JD is a Juris Doctorate, but feels more like a master's program, since it is persued after the undergraduate degree.

Getting multiple degrees can be viewed as a way of postponing adulthood. :-)
Unless someone is working and going to school at the same time, which is extremely common these days.

Old 10-11-2017, 05:20 PM

5,035 posts, read 2,548,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Yet many departments do have post-doc programs, at least in the sciences. Chemistry comes to mind.

I had a summer job when I was an undergraduate, calling people to confirm their attendance at a conference. Many of them had medical degrees, a PhD in a science and a law degree! MD, PhD and JD. Double or triple docs. In the music department of a school I attended, some people pursued a DMA, which is a performance degree and a PhD in musicology. Double docs. Where I'm studying now there is a professor who has an EdD, a PhD, a JD (a law degree, and he is currently licensed to practice) and an MBA.

These are all people who love school and, presumably, scholarship.
Post Doc in the sciences is not generally considered an educational "step" but has become a source of cheap labor for PIs and a, hopefully, leg up into a tenure track position. It's more like a temp job in academia today.

Old 10-12-2017, 11:03 AM

1,464 posts, read 1,834,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
A terminal degree is the highest degree offered in a given field or the degree that is generally accepted as the highest needed in a given field. A PhD is the highest degree awarded for criminal justice, so I am in the process of earning a terminal degree. It's really no more complicated than that.

What's terminal can change over time. The MFA is considered terminal, but it looks like it might be replaced by the PhD and/or another type of doctorate.
I agree with this. The PhD is a terminal degree because it is the highest degree you can get. Post-docs are not considered a part of this simply because it is not a requirement for anyone to do a post-doc. People opt to do them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or