Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 09:32 AM

19,790 posts, read 18,079,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
MIT, Stanford, Caltech are not Ivy.
Princeton, Cornell and Columbia are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2017, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
Yeah because it's not a strong group and Trinity has biggest endowment. It's not like they are comparing it to Rice, Baylor, TCU.
Wow.

Old 09-10-2017, 06:04 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,715,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Princeton, Cornell and Columbia are.
I just don't get the Ivy hype.

The best schools for computer science in the world are Stanford, Berkeley, MIT, CMU(in no particular order). None of them is an Ivy.

Most Ivy schools can't even compete with University of Washington.

Old 09-10-2017, 06:15 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,725,809 times
Quote:
Apparently UT Austin's acceptance rate is roughly 40%. I didn't know that, I thought auto admit is 10% so probably total rate would be around 15%. Obviously they can't compete with selective public schools like Berkeley where admit rate is 17% and based on merit.
Or LEGACY

Old 09-10-2017, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
I just don't get the Ivy hype.

The best schools for computer science in the world are Stanford, Berkeley, MIT, CMU(in no particular order). None of them is an Ivy.

Most Ivy schools can't even compete with University of Washington.
You're missing my point entirely and I'm not a particular Ivy fan either.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:30 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
I believe it. Now, the other side of this coin is that I believe there is a trickle down effect that benefits all the other state schools that aren't UT or A&M. I am of the opinion that places like Texas Tech, UH, Texas State, for example, have greatly increased the caliber of their student body with well qualified Texas students who didn't get into UT or A&M. Students that a generation ago, would have considered all these other schools only as a back up plan. I know I certainly did.
I think those schools have also increased the caliber of their student bodies with students who were accepted at UT and A&M but chose not to go there for financial reasons. Texas State, UH and UT Dallas offer very generous scholarships to top students. My daughter was an auto-admit at UT, although not into her chosen college. They didn't offer her any money. All three of the other schools offered her academic scholarships and she's attending Texas State on two scholarships that pay all of her for tuition and part of her housing. Assuming no major changes and that she graduates in four years, she'll have paid $60,000 less for her bachelor's degree than she would have at UT. I think it hurts her pride a bit to say she's going to Texas State instead of UT, but the $60,000 makes her feel better.

Old 09-12-2017, 09:47 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,332,629 times
Quote:
If it makes you feel any better, UT Austin would definitely make it into the Top 10 Public Universities in Texas!

Old 09-12-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I think those schools have also increased the caliber of their student bodies with students who were accepted at UT and A&M but chose not to go there for financial reasons. Texas State, UH and UT Dallas offer very generous scholarships to top students. My daughter was an auto-admit at UT, although not into her chosen college. They didn't offer her any money. All three of the other schools offered her academic scholarships and she's attending Texas State on two scholarships that pay all of her for tuition and part of her housing. Assuming no major changes and that she graduates in four years, she'll have paid $60,000 less for her bachelor's degree than she would have at UT. I think it hurts her pride a bit to say she's going to Texas State instead of UT, but the $60,000 makes her feel better.
A friend's daughter has done the same, dad's a big time tea-sip too. My friend's daughter has been able to save nearly all of her college fund for graduate school. As with your daughter his daughter was a bit upset at first - that lasted about a week. She's enjoyed Texas State very much.

Old 09-12-2017, 01:03 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
A friend's daughter has done the same, dad's a big time tea-sip too. My friend's daughter has been able to save nearly all of her college fund for graduate school. As with your daughter his daughter was a bit upset at first - that lasted about a week. She's enjoyed Texas State very much.
Mine is settling in and I think she'll end up liking it as well. I went to UT a million years ago when it was cheap and easy to get into. I had a good experience, but when we visited it for her, I didn't like it at all. It felt crowded and impersonal. Parking and traffic were a nightmare. I would have supported her decision to go there if she had wanted to, but I'm glad she didn't.

Old 09-12-2017, 03:56 PM

Wow. If a couple of you folks are going to make posts have the courage to leave those posts up.

I'm not sure if a couple of posters ran off to mods for face saving help or if they were able to delete several posts................either way what happened above is really, really weak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
View detailed profiles of: