Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 04:01 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,179,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Mine is settling in and I think she'll end up liking it as well. I went to UT a million years ago when it was cheap and easy to get into. I had a good experience, but when we visited it for her, I didn't like it at all. It felt crowded and impersonal. Parking and traffic were a nightmare. I would have supported her decision to go there if she had wanted to, but I'm glad she didn't.
Same here. Auto admit into both UT and A&M a long time ago before their standards got quite so high, LOL. But, if other state schools are employing a show me the money strategy to entice students away from the flagships, and it works, that's fine. All's fair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2017, 04:06 PM

19,769 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Same here. Auto admit into both UT and A&M a long time ago before their standards got quite so high, LOL. But, if other state schools are employing a show me the money strategy to entice students away from the flagships, and it works, that's fine. All's fair.
IMO the problem is a very large number of the UT and A&M cast offs leave the state many to never return. That is awful on several counts.

Old 09-13-2017, 06:23 PM

3,834 posts, read 4,437,964 times
Quote:
I think those schools have also increased the caliber of their student bodies with students who were accepted at UT and A&M but chose not to go there for financial reasons. Texas State, UH and UT Dallas offer very generous scholarships to top students. My daughter was an auto-admit at UT, although not into her chosen college. They didn't offer her any money. All three of the other schools offered her academic scholarships and she's attending Texas State on two scholarships that pay all of her for tuition and part of her housing. Assuming no major changes and that she graduates in four years, she'll have paid $60,000 less for her bachelor's degree than she would have at UT. I think it hurts her pride a bit to say she's going to Texas State instead of UT, but the $60,000 makes her feel better.
While I wholeheartedly with the cost savings aspect, there is one wrinkle which may not apply in all situations. I was an accounting/finance major in college (TCU). I can say with a fair amount of certainty that if you want to take the elevator to the big bucks in this field (as opposed to the stairs that a ******* like me took) then you HAVE to be able to land a job with one of the "big 4" audit accounting firms (KPMG, Ernst and Young, PWC, etc).

The only problem? Those firms will only recruit out of certain schools, and it's not going to be the smaller less glamorous schools. So graduates of those schools automatically have one strike against them in this field. I believe it's a similar situation in Finance. Goldman Sachs ain't coming to career day at UT Tyler. Now again, this may not be an issue in other fields making the savings aspect more relevant, just thought to bring that up.

Old 09-13-2017, 06:30 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
Is UT Austin prestigious outside of Texas?

Old 09-14-2017, 05:26 PM

19,769 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Depends upon particular programs but generally speaking yes.

Undergrad
https://admissions.utexas.edu/explore/rankings

Grad
https://news.utexas.edu/2017/03/14/m...news-in-top-10

Old 09-15-2017, 08:05 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
While I wholeheartedly with the cost savings aspect, there is one wrinkle which may not apply in all situations. I was an accounting/finance major in college (TCU). I can say with a fair amount of certainty that if you want to take the elevator to the big bucks in this field (as opposed to the stairs that a ******* like me took) then you HAVE to be able to land a job with one of the "big 4" audit accounting firms (KPMG, Ernst and Young, PWC, etc).

The only problem? Those firms will only recruit out of certain schools, and it's not going to be the smaller less glamorous schools. So graduates of those schools automatically have one strike against them in this field. I believe it's a similar situation in Finance. Goldman Sachs ain't coming to career day at UT Tyler. Now again, this may not be an issue in other fields making the savings aspect more relevant, just thought to bring that up.
I agree with this 100% and it's something my daughter and I talked about a lot. If you have a particular career path in mind and you know that potential employers will limit hires to a particular set of prestigious schools, or you want to get into a prestigious graduate or professional school, then name and rank of your undergrad degree certainly matters. This wasn't an issue for her but it certainly could be for other students.

Old 09-15-2017, 08:13 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,471,290 times
One factor in the rankings is SAT and ACT scores. The idea behind the auto-admit law is that it will give poorer and minority students an opportunity to attend top schools. High school grades are more closely correlated with college performance than SAT scores are. SAT scores are correlated with family income.

People from more well-to-do families usually attend better schools, are exposed to a broader range of vocabulary, and have the money to pay for SAT/ACT prep courses.

Last edited by L210; 09-15-2017 at 08:24 PM..

Old 09-15-2017, 08:35 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
I believe it. Now, the other side of this coin is that I believe there is a trickle down effect that benefits all the other state schools that aren't UT or A&M. I am of the opinion that places like Texas Tech, UH, Texas State, for example, have greatly increased the caliber of their student body with well qualified Texas students who didn't get into UT or A&M. Students that a generation ago, would have considered all these other schools only as a back up plan. I know I certainly did.
Very true. I know a woman whose kids were at or near the tops of their classes, high SAT scores, etc. Both chose universities other than UT-Austin because those schools (one of them out of state) threw bags of money at her kids. I think they chose wisely.

I got into UT back when it was easier (about 25 years ago). I graduated on time too, though most people I know who matriculated the same year did not graduate on time.

I sent my SAT scores to some safety schools and got admission offers from them without even applying. I hear admission at those schools is much more competitive nowadays. Our university system hasn't kept up with Texas's growth, for sure.

Quote:
I think those schools have also increased the caliber of their student bodies with students who were accepted at UT and A&M but chose not to go there for financial reasons. Texas State, UH and UT Dallas offer very generous scholarships to top students. My daughter was an auto-admit at UT, although not into her chosen college. They didn't offer her any money. All three of the other schools offered her academic scholarships and she's attending Texas State on two scholarships that pay all of her for tuition and part of her housing. Assuming no major changes and that she graduates in four years, she'll have paid $60,000 less for her bachelor's degree than she would have at UT. I think it hurts her pride a bit to say she's going to Texas State instead of UT, but the $60,000 makes her feel better.
It shouldn't hurt her pride at all. I know several Texas State grads and they're all doing very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Eh...depends on what program and who you ask.

Old 09-17-2017, 05:51 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
These lists are really, really stupid.

And my alma mater is very high on that list...

Old 09-18-2017, 09:26 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,475,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
These lists are really, really stupid.

And my alma mater is very high on that list...
If school rankings and metrics were stupid, then no parent would seek sending their offspring to the best schools available. But as we all know, that is not the case. Therefore, they matter to some people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
View detailed profiles of: