U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2017, 09:40 AM

69 posts, read 29,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
In my mind the purpose of college is to better make you eligible for jobs that are beyond the typical high school graduate level. Yes I hope to become well rounded and to become a global citizen, to expand my horizon and whatever else but the core is that when I graduate college my job prospects will be better than if I just stopped education after high school.

Obviously you have majors that are more easily able to get a job right out of college: nursing, accounting, supply chain management, IT, engineering etc... But what happens when you don't have the aptitude or the interest in one the "golden" majors. You still want to learn, you still want a job better than the retail/fast food market but your interest are not engineering, accounting etc...-is college still a viable option for you then?

I'd like to think "yes" college is still a good option if your interest are History, English, Anthropology etc... but I know how difficult marketing those type of degrees can be. Barring knowing someone on the inside or going to a school where the name recognition alone is enough, it is usually much more difficult to market the English degree than the Accounting degree. Plus there are usually more Accounting positions, accounting clerk, accounting assistant etc... openings than there are Copy Writer, Proofreader, Copy Editor openings.

I would argue that the LA grad is just as capable of moving up the corporate ladder, of building a career as the STEM grad, BUT the problem is getting that first shot as a LA grad. That is getting that bottom rung, bottom of the totem pole position as a LA grad and hopefully, eventually working your way up. If that assistant position, that entry level tech writer position, that data clerk position is gated behind 2-3 years of experience and strongly recommends a degree in "X" then it can be very difficult for the LA grad to ever start his career. Thus leading to the thought of "college is a waste of time unless you study A,B,C ."

Overall I am not sure if I am ready to call college a scam if you go for the LA degree but I would say college def. underperforms if you go the LA grad route. But I don't know if that is the fault of the college itself or the employer having ridiculous requirements for even the most basic, bottom of the barrel roles.
Actually, based on the recent automation trends in the workforce, those lower-rung Accounting positions are going to dissipate rather quickly. Things like bookkeeping, tax accounting, NTRs/compilations, statement preparation, etc are soon going to completely driven by software and automation tools. Hell, there's even software that will enhance the quality and timing of Audits....

So in essence, Accounting majors without positions/experience in Big 4 or Corporate Advisory are gonna be left "hung out to dry" to a very similar degree to an English/Liberal Arts major.

Such is the nature of economical evolution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2017, 09:54 AM

1,387 posts, read 601,896 times
Did you major in "Economical Evolution"?

Old 10-29-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thAndK View Post
Did you major in "Economical Evolution"?
Nah, I just sought out a more interesting field in the hard sciences after completing my first degree in Accounting.

Old 10-30-2017, 09:53 AM

146 posts, read 60,578 times
So somebody told you there was big money in accounting and you went for it?

Old 10-30-2017, 11:54 AM

1,505 posts, read 1,963,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTamilTiger View Post
Actually, based on the recent automation trends in the workforce, those lower-rung Accounting positions are going to dissipate rather quickly. Things like bookkeeping, tax accounting, NTRs/compilations, statement preparation, etc are soon going to completely driven by software and automation tools. Hell, there's even software that will enhance the quality and timing of Audits....

So in essence, Accounting majors without positions/experience in Big 4 or Corporate Advisory are gonna be left "hung out to dry" to a very similar degree to an English/Liberal Arts major.

Such is the nature of economical evolution.

Dam if that is true, that is a downer. I was hoping to eventually go from a data entry to an Accounting support type role. Maybe I'll have to look into coding...

Old 10-30-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifty Percent Off View Post
So somebody told you there was big money in accounting and you went for it?
No, I went for Accounting out of a desperate need for family approval and validation.

Long story short: parents are both CAs and, as a troublesome and rebellious child during my formative years, I wanted to "one-up" my siblings (none of them chose Accounting) in my parents eyes.

I had a job lined up after graduation with a mid size firm. I wanted to travel for a bit so I contacted HR and asked for an extension. They refused. I turned it down and never looked back.

End of the story.

Old 10-30-2017, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
Dam if that is true, that is a downer. I was hoping to eventually go from a data entry to an Accounting support type role. Maybe I'll have to look into coding...
If you don't want to upgrade your skills with another degree/diploma, I would strongly suggest a certification in Automation Tech or Big Data/Analytics.

I worked as a geologist for a year after finishing my second degree and already started to see the writing on the wall due to advances in fracking and explorational drilling.

Old 10-30-2017, 02:07 PM

33,064 posts, read 26,880,121 times
What's worthless about getting an education? I'm not seeing what's so worthless about that.

Old 10-31-2017, 07:55 PM

8,862 posts, read 7,340,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
What's worthless about getting an education? I'm not seeing what's so worthless about that.
Some studies offer no benefit towards getting a job. However, once you have a career started then such courses you may be interested in would be fine for your spare time to satisfy a desire to learn something different and interesting.

Old 11-01-2017, 12:57 PM

32,730 posts, read 22,676,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Some studies offer no benefit towards getting a job. However, once you have a career started then such courses you may be interested in would be fine for your spare time to satisfy a desire to learn something different and interesting.

That doesn't make them worthless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities