U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2017, 08:07 PM

5,318 posts, read 6,617,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
why pick the extreme example, and most states have at least one or two very good public universities so why would anyone in their right mind pay out of state tuition.
Universities target out of state students because the school make more money from those students.

Last edited by ram2; 11-19-2017 at 08:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2017, 08:18 PM

27,235 posts, read 11,383,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Universities target out of state students because the school make more money from those student.
ok...but so what?

Old 11-19-2017, 08:45 PM

5,318 posts, read 6,617,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
ok...but so what?
This shows universities are more focused on money than education. Why should a state university target out of state students when the emphasis should be on educating students from that universities home state?

Old 11-19-2017, 08:48 PM

27,235 posts, read 11,383,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
This shows universities are more focused on money than education. Why should a state university target out of state students when the emphasis should be on educating students from that universities home state?
It's logical that they would do that, they want the extra money, but that doesn't sound very machiavellian since the money they get from out of state tuition goes toward subsidizing tuition for in state students.

Old 11-19-2017, 09:58 PM

5,765 posts, read 3,047,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
.... Meanwhile, the people I've known who worked in private sector and then went to work in government unanimously complain about the sheer inertia they encounter when it comes to getting the simplest things done.
Interestingly I can turn that around 180 degrees too. I've know a number of people who thought exactly the same way. Until they went to work for the government and then every one of them has said "I had no idea" and "I never worked so hard."

Old 11-20-2017, 07:52 AM

2,071 posts, read 4,005,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post

Looking back on your college education, what percentage of it was a huge waste?
None of it. I enjoy learning for the sake of learning, and colleges are good places to do that at the most thorough and demanding levels. Additionally, I'm resourceful and flexible enough to apply my skills (many of them honed in college and grad school) in a variety of environments: jobs, volunteer opportunities, travel adventures, and so on.

I agree that college is not for everyone, though. Also, not all college students--even some high-aptitude college students at rigorous schools--have the ability to convert their experience (including degrees) into jobs.

Old 11-20-2017, 07:57 AM

3,189 posts, read 1,278,387 times
Yes, of course it's a scam. Look up technological singularity.

At some point, it's likely that debt will be used as a way to deal with the "population problem."

Old 11-20-2017, 08:15 AM

698 posts, read 383,787 times
Rise of the machines? Pretty much not a serious notion at this point.

Old 11-20-2017, 09:44 AM

604 posts, read 439,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Yep.

The average debt incurred to finance a bachelor's degree is less than the sticker price for a new midsize SUV. Many of the same people who rant about the scourge of student loan debt have no problem justifying this type of auto purchase.
An automobile however (outside of NYC and Chicago) is necessary to get to your job however to work and make money to eat. If your degree is useless you cant trade it back in for another.

I learned the hard way. My first degree in Biology was *literally useless* even with good grades and internship experience and living in an area with a large pharmeutical sector. I later got another allied health degree (and more debt) and got a job.

That said a good bachelors degree in an employable subject is helpful. Many professional degree holders are the ones with 100k+ in debt, and outside medicine or ivy league law or business many cannot justify the costs.

Old 11-21-2017, 04:25 PM

3,965 posts, read 1,924,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
This argument reveals how little most people know about specialized degree programs.
Most of the critics in this thread have never been to college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities