U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2017, 04:30 PM

3,965 posts, read 1,923,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
At least they are not trying to pay back thousands of dollars of student loans with a $10 an hour Walmart job like many of the lib arts grads I know.
And yet you're working at Best Buy for $10 an hour with a Computer Science degree...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2017, 06:53 PM

3,965 posts, read 1,923,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post
And most jobs you apply for have nothing to do with your degree and do not apply skills, if any, you learned in college.
Most jobs fall into the category of “adult daycare.” In my experience, the higher I climbed on the career ladder and the more money I made, the more pointless the “work” I did. My degree in History may be considered useless by many, but the world ended up with new publications from actual intensive research. Now being in the business world after graduating, I make many times the amount of my old lowly History adjuncts, all to send some emails and change numbers in an Excel spreadsheet. Most modern work is a farce.

Old 11-22-2017, 02:55 AM

261 posts, read 294,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Most of the critics in this thread have never been to college.

Or most went for a year and flunked out.

Old 11-22-2017, 01:47 PM

9,099 posts, read 3,714,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flip33 View Post
Or most went for a year and flunked out.
or blame the degree for them not getting a dream job

Old 11-23-2017, 09:45 PM

5,316 posts, read 6,616,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
I make many times the amount of my old lowly History adjuncts, all to send some emails and change numbers in an Excel spreadsheet. Most modern work is a farce.
It seems that's all most people do at work nowadays - send e-mails.

Old 11-24-2017, 11:35 AM

2,820 posts, read 3,065,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
or blame the degree for them not getting a dream job
Or did nothing but go to classes. No internships, no leadership positions, no activities, no volunteering that would actually make someone want to hire them.

Old 11-26-2017, 12:18 PM

1,481 posts, read 594,283 times
Unless you are have a technical degree, the degree will not show immediate benefits, possibly for a number of years. With a liberal arts degree you have the barrier of not having experience. But once you have a few years of experience a degree will be needed to be considered for advancement. Most important is learning how to survive in the work world. If you are lucky at some point you may find a job you really like, that pays well and that you can excel in. But it may take years or decades to get there. You need patience, and the ability to commit all the way when your opportunities present themselves. One of the best pieces of advice I ever got was from a manager I was having problems with who I came to a truce with over a few drinks at a bar near work one night. He told me "you can get pretty much whatever you want in life, but it takes a lot longer to get than you want it to."

Old 11-27-2017, 03:53 AM

1,505 posts, read 1,964,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Unless you are have a technical degree, the degree will not show immediate benefits, possibly for a number of years. With a liberal arts degree you have the barrier of not having experience. But once you have a few years of experience a degree will be needed to be considered for advancement. Most important is learning how to survive in the work world. If you are lucky at some point you may find a job you really like, that pays well and that you can excel in. But it may take years or decades to get there. You need patience, and the ability to commit all the way when your opportunities present themselves. One of the best pieces of advice I ever got was from a manager I was having problems with who I came to a truce with over a few drinks at a bar near work one night. He told me "you can get pretty much whatever you want in life, but it takes a lot longer to get than you want it to."

Aye often I find that is the hard part with the LA degree; getting that "first shot" in the first place.

You hear stories about "my friend graduated with a degree in Sociology and now is a technical writer making 60k a year" etc...

Great, that is awesome but with seemingly 99% of technical writing requiring previous technical writing experience, how did the friend land that tech writing job? Assuming the friend did not have previous tech writing experience then either some employer took a chance on her, maybe she know someone internally or she worked her way up from some unrelated position. But often we don't know how long it took or the circumstances that lead to that nice tech writing job.

And for every other LA grad who didn't get the tech writing job (and believe there are plenty), the frustration is "what if my 'shot' never comes ?" , "what if I am stuck at position x years unable to move up ?" etc...

The opportunities, the anecdotes of people succeeding with LA degrees are there and are real but with many of the "good" jobs wanting "2-3 years of experience" for an entry level, with far more applicants than there are openings, I see where the whole "college is a scam" thinking comes from.

Old 11-27-2017, 05:43 AM

5,816 posts, read 9,782,622 times
I lost 4 years of my life in College studying "liberal art" (what a laugh!) and 1 year in the military (compulsive in my country back then). And during that time I barely had any good times or screwed (European campuses have a very different atmosphere as US campuses, much less "boisterous"...). So I lost 5 years of my precious youth (between 18 and 23 ) doing things either I was not so interested in (uni)/positively hated (the army sting). The worst part is that I don't think I learnt anything during those damn five years that I didn't already know when I majored high school (for instance my English teacher in my 2 last grades in HS was an American and I remember him fondly- he passed away not long ago-and gave me solid bases in EN that have been useful to me up to this days, heck, down to this discussion forum!). On the other hand , I was unimpressed by my College teachers -save the History teacher, but what's the use of studying History in the first place? it didn't bring me any "bonus" later in life (save getting "thumbs up" on discussion forums sometimes, it's good for the ego, but , what the hell, it's only a hobby). And I won't even speak of the military, and my country's dumb ass officers. All that lost time during the best years of my life make me understandably bitter. Well, at least I didn't do drugs (save smoking weed from time to time) or alcohol, as so many youngsters do today, and learned to be generally speaking orderly , order my thoughts and have a smatter of intellectual capital, live healthy (I was so bored with my studies that I engaged in....weight lifting, swimming skiing and running, and later, did a Black belt in Judo. I had a try at tennis that I genuinely enjoyed, albeit for whatever reason I was hopeless at tennis. On the other hand I loathed team sports -and I still do-). But if I was to start all over again, I would do it very differently. Maybe I would go to college, but major in a topic that can be useful on the professianal level later in life, and develop DIY skills, that are very useful (and save a lot of money) and that I'm sorely lacking.

Old 11-27-2017, 06:01 AM

698 posts, read 383,647 times
Liberal arts are the foundation of society. We might need all these interchangeable STEM people in order to to build and maintain machines, bridges, and tunnels, blah, blah, blah, but their impacts on society are minimal. Tacit realization of the fact is what drives them to all this liberal arts bashing to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities