U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2017, 08:26 AM

5,816 posts, read 9,773,137 times

Advertisements

What does STEM means?
It's true that back when I was a student, in my "salad days" (in the Seventies !....), there was- in my country at least-definitely a stigma on a male enrolling in LA, it was considered something for ******* or even half-wits, "real men"with "real brains" (whatever that is) enrolled in Science or Economics or Engineering. If they had muscles/testosterone but no brain, they entered the military, still higher in the "pecking order" than male BA students. I definitely suffered from this kind of prejudice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2017, 08:33 AM

698 posts, read 383,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
..."real men"with "real brains" (whatever that is) enrolled in Science or Economics or Engineering.
Economics is a social science. It's part of the "liberal arts."

Old 11-27-2017, 12:30 PM

1,481 posts, read 591,143 times
In my case it was working my way up. After I majored in Political Science and English in college and got my liberal arts bachelor's degree at a state university while commuting from home, I worked as a bill adjustor and then a bad check collector for a department store, where I had worked summers in various menial jobs (operating a freight elevator, measuring bolts of fabric, etc.). I couldn't get a break in Los Angeles so I moved to NYC and with my experience in credit and collection got a job working 5PM to 12:30AM as a telephone credit card authorizer. After 2 years they decided they needed someone to write a procedure manual for credit authorization and teach classes and I got promoted up to the training department to do that. (This is where my B.A. degree probably got me the promotion). After two years I was sent back to credit authoriztions as a supervisor on the midnight shift. When they transferred the midnight shift function to another city, I switched companies and got a job writing credit and collection procedures at a better salary, working days. After 2 years (10 years after I came to NYC) partly because of my credit card and fraud detection experience in credit authorization, and being called on to testify at trials of stolen credit cards, I got promoted to manager of an internal audit group looking at employee theft and failure to follow procedures. Part of that job was to implement an executive reporting database for the VP on his PC. Seven years later I was demoted and at loose ends when the VP (who liked me) offered me a job as a sys admin and data base admin for a new automated drafting system. The person they hired from IBM was scared away by employee and union objections to automation, and failed to show up on her first day of work, but the VP figured I could learn the computer side and wouldn't be intimidated by the employees. I loved the job and did it until I retired, and then got two years of consulting after I retired. It only took me 21 years after graduation to get my dream job.

LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
Aye often I find that is the hard part with the LA degree; getting that "first shot" in the first place.

You hear stories about "my friend graduated with a degree in Sociology and now is a technical writer making 60k a year" etc...

Great, that is awesome but with seemingly 99% of technical writing requiring previous technical writing experience, how did the friend land that tech writing job? Assuming the friend did not have previous tech writing experience then either some employer took a chance on her, maybe she know someone internally or she worked her way up from some unrelated position. But often we don't know how long it took or the circumstances that lead to that nice tech writing job.

And for every other LA grad who didn't get the tech writing job (and believe there are plenty), the frustration is "what if my 'shot' never comes ?" , "what if I am stuck at position x years unable to move up ?" etc...

The opportunities, the anecdotes of people succeeding with LA degrees are there and are real but with many of the "good" jobs wanting "2-3 years of experience" for an entry level, with far more applicants than there are openings, I see where the whole "college is a scam" thinking comes from.

Old 11-27-2017, 01:00 PM

11 posts, read 4,135 times
Get real, a degree makes a huge difference.

"College graduates, on average, earned 56% more than high school grads in 2015, according to data compiled by the Economic Policy Institute. That was up from 51% in 1999 and is the largest such gap in EPI's figures dating to 1973." https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...cord/96493348/

Old 11-27-2017, 01:36 PM

146 posts, read 60,463 times
Plus, a real school is a very good place to learn why ambition and some hard work are important things.

Old 11-27-2017, 01:36 PM

2,277 posts, read 1,033,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamMcllel View Post
Get real, a degree makes a huge difference.

"College graduates, on average, earned 56% more than high school grads in 2015, according to data compiled by the Economic Policy Institute. That was up from 51% in 1999 and is the largest such gap in EPI's figures dating to 1973." https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...cord/96493348/

not only that, some jobs that absolutely don't need a degree to do, require it just to weed out applicants.

We hire a security company at my job and all of the applicants must have 2 years college with a degree preferable.
Now the truth is you don't need a degree to do that job but to even get your foot in the door, a lot of times requires a degree.

fair or not, it gives you an edge.

Old 11-27-2017, 03:04 PM

5,816 posts, read 9,773,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VendorDude View Post
Economics is a social science. It's part of the "liberal arts."
Agreed , my mistake. I meant LAW (I made the mistake because in my country Law and Economics for a strange reason are sometimes taught in the same colleges, Econmics being separated from the other social sciences).

Old 11-27-2017, 03:55 PM

1,003 posts, read 571,064 times
Its funny how folks say college makes you smarter but the some of the posts on here by people with college degrees prove this other wise.

Old 11-27-2017, 06:48 PM

2,244 posts, read 807,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
Its funny how folks say college makes you smarter but the some of the posts on here by people with college degrees prove this other wise.
Otherwise.

Old 11-27-2017, 08:09 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,079,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
4. College is a business, the school doesn't care if you graduate or if you work in the field but rather that you paid for your classes.
Hmmm. That sounds eerily like a health insurance company. They dont really care whether or not you get the treatment you need but rather that your premiums are paid on time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities