Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2017, 06:56 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,900,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvatron210 View Post

And in some people's defense, its hard not to hate a country, when you are born here, and still treated like a second class citizen because of the color of your skin or what you look like.
I'm not sure I understand this statement. I would think if one hates the country they live in, for what ever reason, they should look around, do some research, and head to someplace they feel more comfortable.
I think after several moves, a person like this could possibly find someplace better but the chances are greater they will find the same or additional problems that they did not anticipate and hate that place as well.
The answer to this problem is for the people who feel this way to look within themselves. Skin color is a pure Cop Out! Do you dress, decorate yourself or act outside the norm? If so, don't blame the country you live in, look at yourself!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2017, 07:43 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,920,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thAndK View Post
Those who majored in engineering, medicine, computer science or law because they were told they'd make a ton of money in those fields are apt to be divorced, in rehab, and in second careers by now. Like any tool, college is only beneficial if you use it properly.
At least they are not trying to pay back thousands of dollars of student loans with a $10 an hour Walmart job like many of the lib arts grads I know.

Old 11-05-2017, 07:53 AM

20,097 posts, read 8,998,912 times
Colleges are selling a product - an education. you're free to do whatever you want with the product you've bought.

Old 11-05-2017, 08:09 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,070,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
At least they are not trying to pay back thousands of dollars of student loans with a $10 an hour Walmart job like many of the lib arts grads I know.
Perhaps you just don't hang with a particularly talented or successful crowd. Intelligent people after all do not major in STEM subjects unless they have an interest or aptitude in them. UI benefits are the same for STEM majors as for anybody else, and if you don't enjoy your work in a STEM field, there is no way you will be able to keep pace with those who do. You'll eventually just be dumped and replaced by someone with a better attitude.

Old 11-05-2017, 08:27 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,357,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Colleges are selling a product - an education. you're free to do whatever you want with the product you've bought.

If so, then as with any marketed product, it should provide the consumer (students) with a clear description of what it is they are buying. If it makes certain claims about the product, then it needs to clarify what those claims are and the conditions under which the claims work, in order to not mislead the consumer. Similar to those tiny prints at the bottom of product disclaimers.

Old 11-06-2017, 04:56 PM

70 posts, read 50,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingna View Post
If so, then as with any marketed product, it should provide the consumer (students) with a clear description of what it is they are buying. If it makes certain claims about the product, then it needs to clarify what those claims are and the conditions under which the claims work, in order to not mislead the consumer. Similar to those tiny prints at the bottom of product disclaimers.
What makes you think that the consumers (students) aren't informed on the selection that they are making???

Old 11-06-2017, 05:01 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,875,478 times
Some degrees are not worthless but not cost effective either

Old 11-06-2017, 10:12 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,970,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Some degrees are not worthless but not cost effective either
Fair enough. I think there are a lot of people that gain some important writing, critical reading, and research skills with social science or liberal arts degrees. Those are certainly a skill set that is important for a lot of jobs, even if it not as lucrative/in-demand as STEM degrees. The real issue from a cost-effectiveness standpoint is how much you paid to get that degree.

1. Public 4 year or CC tranfering to public 4 year: Probably ok.
2. Private non-profit: Can be cost effective with grants/scholarships, but may not be.
3. For-Profit: Oooo, sorry. You're screwed.

The last piece which isn't discussed as much is the cost of living (rent, board, etc), which has probably grown just as fast or faster than tuition, especially with rents in big cities and prestigious college towns. Some of that is the rathole firetraps we lived in 20 years ago have been torn down and replaced with nicer housing with better amenities. But some of it is the rapid increase in rents over the last decade, especially in big cities.

Old 11-06-2017, 10:50 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,744,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lily4881 View Post
For me college wasn't just about getting a job, it was about personal enrichment. I majored in Classics: Classical Civilization and Culture. The student loans I borrowed amounted to $30,000 and I mostly paid them off in 10 years. The education I got did help enrich my life because I'm a researcher.
If I wanted personal enrichment, I would have gone to my local Barnes and Noble and spent only 1/10 of the 30k you borrowed.

Old 11-06-2017, 10:52 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,744,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTE1969 View Post
But NYC has crazy expensive rents, and it's too crowded.
And don't forget the weather sucks for most of the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities