Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 01:37 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,786,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Why do people need to go to school out of state? There is nothing wrong with the SAME DEGREES that are offered in your home state.
This argument reveals how little most people know about specialized degree programs.

Why pursue a mundane, in-state degree with a 50% job placement rate when, a few states away, you can pursue a specialized degree with a 96% job placement rate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2017, 02:01 PM

146 posts, read 100,179 times
Specializing is often a big mistake early on. Take your first two years to get the general ed under your belt. Lots of time to narrow in on something as an upper classman.

Old 10-24-2017, 02:16 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,257,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
In-state universities don't always have the desired degree program.
I understand your point, but how common is that? Are we talking hundreds of students? Thousands of students? Tens of thousands of students? Millions of students needing to go to an out-of-state public university for one specific degree/program?

I know some universities that have nuclear engineering programs are shutting down their reactors on campus, since not very many people are majoring in that field, but getting back to your example, I just don't see this as a ginormous issue effecting a ton of people.

Old 10-24-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
...but getting back to your example, I just don't see this as a ginormous issue affecting a ton of people.
Only five schools nationwide are known for this particular degree program, so the number of students impacted is in the thousands. It's a "ginormous" issue for those students whose parents can't afford to cover the cost.

Old 10-24-2017, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifty Percent Off View Post
Specializing is often a big mistake early on. Take your first two years to get the general ed under your belt. Lots of time to narrow in on something as an upper classman.
Some students know what they want to do before attending college. Also, some degree programs require that you choose a specific track from the very beginning.

Old 10-24-2017, 02:49 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,257,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Only five schools nationwide are known for this particular degree program, so the number of students impacted is in the thousands. It's a "ginormous" issue for those students whose parents can't afford to cover the cost.
But if it's such a highly specialized field/program and you mention a 96% job placement rate after graduation, then they should have no problem getting a job in said field and paying back their student loans after they graduate. What's the starting salary of people with this degree, please don't say $30,000?

Old 10-24-2017, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
But if it's such a highly specialized field/program and you mention a 96% job placement rate after graduation, then they should have no problem getting a job in said field and paying back their student loans after they graduate. What's the starting salary of people with this degree, please don't say $30,000?
Exactly, and the starting salary averages $65K.

Old 10-24-2017, 02:57 PM

15,932 posts, read 12,207,743 times
Should we allow students to write off college debt? I would say no, but I would also say we shouldn't allow people to create LLC after LLC when they run one into the ground, write off the debt, and start another. Why should big corporations be able to write off debt and go bankrupt when they run a company into the ground and the CEO walks away with millions of dollars when a college student can't file bankruptcy on their debt?

Don't get me wrong, I don't think either of these individuals should be able to walk away from their debt, especially when they run a corporation or LLC under and walk away with cash.. they should have to give their "income" from running the LLC or corporation back to pay off the debt. Alas the system is designed to allow scammers to get rich if they do it right.

Schools do a student a disservice by encouraging these worthless degrees and discouraging trades. Parents should be actively researching in demand fields and recommending career options to their children to counter the useless advice schools often give about what fields to enter. What jobs are in most demand, and which ones pay the most, should be what a person goes into. Like it or not, doing what you "love" might not pay the bills long term.

Old 10-24-2017, 03:27 PM

910 posts, read 1,073,717 times
I love all of the talk about scholarships. Those are reserved for EXCEPTIONAL students. My problem with college is the brainwashing students get in high school, causing AVERAGE students to sacrifice their financial security to go to college, with little reward. I will use my wife, and her sister as examples. My wife wasn't a very good student in high school, she had a C average. Because all she heard in high school was "you have to go to college to make something out of yourself", she applied everywhere. She didn't get a single scholarship, she got $300.00 in grants. She wound up with $20,000.00 in student loans to cover her first year of school, at the closest university to where she grew up. She took a remedial math and English to get in, got another C average, and mid way through her second semester she was failing math. She retook the math class, failed again, and was kicked out of her degree program. We are finally paying off the remainder of her loans, 13 years later, so that she can go to technical school for an LPN program. She never belonged in college to begin with, but was pressured to do so.

Her sister also was a C student in high school. She also didn't get a scholarship, and went to the same local university. She got her bachelors degree is Psychology, but because of a C average in college, she has tried for years to get into a Masters program, and has gotten denied. She racked up $60,000 in debt. She pays $385.00 a month on an income based repayment program. It is going to take over 20 years to repay her loans. She currently works at a cell phone store as an assistant manager, earning $32,000.00 a year. College is nothing more than an anchor on her neck. The store manager in her store never went to college.

I went to technical school, for free, through a program for low income students in high school. I've made it to lower level management without having to go to college. I'm at the point where to advance, I have to have a piece of paper saying that I have a degree in something. My local Community College will cost me about $20,000.00 for the first two years, including books, and fees. It will cost about $30,000.00 for the final two years at the closest state university, again including books and fees. There isn't anything that college can teach me that 20 years of work experience hasn't taught me already. This is the reason that many, me included, feel that college is just a scam. Unfortunately for me, and others in my position, I can't get into mid-level management without it.

Old 10-24-2017, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsvibe View Post
...There isn't anything that college can teach me that 20 years of work experience hasn't taught me already. This is the reason that many, me included, feel that college is just a scam. Unfortunately for me, and others in my position, I can't get into mid-level management without it.
It's an initiation rite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities