U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 06:31 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,108,825 times

Advertisements

I graduated from one of the best public universities back when tuition was still cheap.
You could screw around, and still not end up too deep in the hole if you didn't have a STEM degree.

But these days, tuition is through the roof, and many kids are graduating with useless degrees. More importantly, bottom ranked private Podunk universities are just as expensive as top ranked ones. And a lot of kids still attend Podunk because they think it will give them a little more advantage.
If you don't graduate from a top university, it's much harder to find a good job. And most jobs you apply for have nothing to do with your degree and do not apply skills, if any, you learned in college.

A lot of kids enter the real world with a 6-figure debt and, from my observations, are still not very intelligent, either because they partied too much, or the school was too crappy to teach them critical thinking skills.

College has become an expensive measuring stick and barrier to entry. You are given the privilege of spending 6 figures just to be considered for decent jobs.

I think it would be better if each job field designed its own aptitude test which all applicants would have to take, instead of requiring them to waste 4 years and a ton of money to obtain a degree.

4 years of college is 2 years too much. For example, Premed requirements are normally finished in the first 2 years of undergrad. So why hold a student hostage for 2 more years instead of letting him apply to med school? Those 2 years cost an extra $80-100K for most people.

Looking back on your college education, what percentage of it was a huge waste?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 09:06 PM

6,769 posts, read 9,762,202 times
Six- figure debt after earning an undergraduate degree is uncommon, even among private school attendees.

Old 10-20-2017, 09:11 PM

276 posts, read 107,541 times
I disagree, 100k+ is not uncommon for out of state tuition especially. For some jobs like STEMS, a degree is a MUST. For 80% of jobs requiring a bachelors, the degree is not even needed. It's just a way to slim down job applicants since there are sometimes thousands of people applying for the same jobs. Yes 75% of college majors are worthless. We are now seeing worthless masters degrees too. Ex Masters in early childhood education, the starting salary is on average is 45k.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:46 PM

8,021 posts, read 6,235,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_wuz_here View Post
I disagree, 100k+ is not uncommon for out of state tuition especially. For some jobs like STEMS, a degree is a MUST. For 80% of jobs requiring a bachelors, the degree is not even needed. It's just a way to slim down job applicants since there are sometimes thousands of people applying for the same jobs. Yes 75% of college majors are worthless. We are now seeing worthless masters degrees too. Ex Masters in early childhood education, the starting salary is on average is 45k.
If you feel that way than why not just eliminate college altogether and just have people go to trade schools with university level STEM courses?

Last edited by toobusytoday; 10-29-2017 at 02:50 PM.. Reason: Fixed quote

Old 10-20-2017, 11:30 PM

6,769 posts, read 9,762,202 times
Quote:
There's no disagreeing because it's not a matter of opinion. Six-figure debt from an undergraduate program is rare.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffrey...ent-loan-debt/

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/06/2...e-cliches.html

https://www.forbes.com/sites/preston...s-go-to-waste/

Old 10-22-2017, 11:48 PM

9,118 posts, read 3,722,434 times
Quote:
half the debt is from "living" costs...

people would have same debt if they lived somewhere for that many years without working... even if they weren't in college

for 80% of the population, they didn't learn what they needed in high school in order to work an entry level job... they had to pay someone to teach them

Old 10-23-2017, 12:21 AM

8,870 posts, read 7,360,024 times
Boss just hired a new worker for the hospital boiler room. Heís 38 years old and until recently was still living in university campus apartments. He has two young kids, oldest in kindergarten. Heís spent many years in college because he just canít seem to settle on a major or career. Just starting a new job to try to support his family and heís already told the boss he wants to take night classes (job sometimes requires working at night) for classes that have nothing to do with the current job. Heís made snide remarks about the hospital having a chaplain office (guess he doesnít like Christianity). Heís also made remarks about 9/11 being Bushís false flag to go to war with Muslims (guess all the victimsí families were all lying about their loved ones being killed in the airplanes). He also seems to have a thing agains the military and the country. He seems to know a great many things on subjects that donít count for much in the job market. Maybe heíll be serving up Starbucks or stocking shelves at Whole Foods next.

Old 10-23-2017, 01:58 AM

9,315 posts, read 7,324,406 times
In 10-20 years, America and Americans will be one of the most uneducated country and citizenry on the planet. No degree is worthless. College is not a job training program. It never was.

Old 10-23-2017, 02:25 AM

35,822 posts, read 39,431,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
Six- figure debt after earning an undergraduate degree is uncommon, even among private school attendees.
Yep. Average undergraduate student loan debt is, depending on what source you go with, in the mid-$30k range. Which is up somewhat from when I got my undergraduate degree in 1999, when it was in the midtwenties. Six-figure debt is not common. Most with that degree of undergrad debt have more going on than just student loans.

Other observations:

-Private institutions often represent less debt in the end due to large endowments that contribute to large grant and scholarship funds.

-STEM is not a "must" for employment.

-College doesn't "teach you critical thinking skills." It may give you opportunities to hone them, if you choose to take those opportunities.

-"Worthless" appears to have a wide and varied definition.

-Approximately 0% of my college education has been a "huge waste." All employment I've had since earning my degree nearly twenty years ago has related directly to what I studied. And that is only one facet of the value of my college experience.

Old 10-23-2017, 02:41 AM

1,139 posts, read 673,459 times
STEM is not a "Golden Degree" anymore. Try a Monster search for a "Mechanical Engineer" in Chicago [ 60622 ] - you will get 7 job finds that are only a week old...

Last edited by toobusytoday; 12-08-2017 at 08:15 AM.. Reason: removed off topic comment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities