U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 10:20 AM

589 posts, read 262,137 times

Advertisements

As others have stated, it's not that important for chemical engineers to have a PE license as long as they aren't dealing with industries that don't deal with the public. The reason it is imperative for civil engineers to have the PE at least in the US, is because the work they do affects the public to a greater degree (roads, bridges, tunnels, dams, sewer treatment plants, etc).

For the OP, I'm in my last semester for my master's degree for Civil Engineering. It wasn't necessary career wise but it has helps in my understanding in certain topics that no one worked with knew at the time I started the program. The biggest problems was dealing with foreign students since there background wasn't as good as I thought it should be. So at times especially working on projects, I had to direct and assign work to the foreign students and be a manager versus being an equal participant in the group project.

Just remember whatever stress and anguish you're dealing with now is only temporary and there will be better days and you will be better for this experience.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2017, 09:12 AM

563 posts, read 239,079 times
Here in Spain and Europe, we do not have professional licenses (maybe in the UK but at least in this country no). I saw that the trend in Europe, not only in Spain but also in Europe, is to ask Master's Degree level, at least in Belgium, Germany, Netherlands , Spain and Switzerland. Employers ask more and more... Bachelors is the very basic education to get something but I couldn't apply to half of the jobs just to lack of Master's Degree, at least in Chemical Engineering field.

What is happening to me in this Master's Degree. I noticed that the level is far higher than Bachelor's, for example in heterogeneous reactors with trully hard modelling and material/energy balances for a variety of reactors: Trickle Beds, Fluidized Bed reactors (awful Kunni Levenspiel model), Slurry, etc... full of correlations, charts, ... The main problem is that we have lots of hard assignments to submit in short periods of time and tight deadlines, each course has at least 2 assignments, one of them has 5 assignments in the semester, 1 assignment every two weeks, another hell course: Advanced Separation Processes. But of course, we also have theoretical classes, for example, heterogeneous reactors demand a lot of time, we have problems sheets? but I do not have enough time because of the assignments, in this week I submitted 3 assignments! One of them: 4 problems to solve with Aspen Plus for Advanced Separation Processes, on monday, yesterday a dissertation about thermal power plants for an optional course about Gas Treatments (the easy course because is optional, less credits, less hours), along with modelling a Trickle Bed Reactor for Heterogeneous Reactors. Today I woke up at 11.00 because I slept 2 or 3 hours a day. Now I am lost with theoretical classes, mainly with Heterogeneous Reactors, we solved in class (the professor, known to be a b*tch) a couple of problems of 3 sheets of about 8 problems per sheet but I don't have time to solve the remaining ones, well, the first sheet I solved 6/7 but I barely had time to solve a problem of sheet 2 and none of sheet 3. All those problems are a part of theoretical classes, not to submit but in order to go to the exam... you must to know how to solve them if you want to have a little chance to pass, otherwise, such professor will crush your bones. The optional subject of Gas Treatments is fast, ends by 20th November, we had our dissertation of our assignment (you know... powerpoint and 10 minutes of exhibition with stupid questions...) yesterday but the exam is on 20th November, along with another assignment in other subject to research about a project and propose how to solve a project with schedules, planning, ... and Advanced Process Separation, the next week we will have another assignment. Where can I get time to study? I don't know in the US but here is fairly normal to repeat courses and stay more than the theoretical years to finish a degree. My Master's is about 1 year and a half (I decided to go to the "faster way") but I feel I will need 3 years to complete this... The next year I will be working full time or half time, I will see... while repeating failed courses... Life is truly hell.

Old 11-04-2017, 01:38 PM

8 posts, read 4,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge ChemE View Post
Here in Spain and Europe, we do not have professional licenses (maybe in the UK but at least in this country no). I saw that the trend in Europe, not only in Spain but also in Europe, is to ask Master's Degree level, at least in Belgium, Germany, Netherlands , Spain and Switzerland. Employers ask more and more... Bachelors is the very basic education to get something but I couldn't apply to half of the jobs just to lack of Master's Degree, at least in Chemical Engineering field.

What is happening to me in this Master's Degree. I noticed that the level is far higher than Bachelor's, for example in heterogeneous reactors with trully hard modelling and material/energy balances for a variety of reactors: Trickle Beds, Fluidized Bed reactors (awful Kunni Levenspiel model), Slurry, etc... full of correlations, charts, ... The main problem is that we have lots of hard assignments to submit in short periods of time and tight deadlines, each course has at least 2 assignments, one of them has 5 assignments in the semester, 1 assignment every two weeks, another hell course: Advanced Separation Processes. But of course, we also have theoretical classes, for example, heterogeneous reactors demand a lot of time, we have problems sheets? but I do not have enough time because of the assignments, in this week I submitted 3 assignments! One of them: 4 problems to solve with Aspen Plus for Advanced Separation Processes, on monday, yesterday a dissertation about thermal power plants for an optional course about Gas Treatments (the easy course because is optional, less credits, less hours), along with modelling a Trickle Bed Reactor for Heterogeneous Reactors. Today I woke up at 11.00 because I slept 2 or 3 hours a day. Now I am lost with theoretical classes, mainly with Heterogeneous Reactors, we solved in class (the professor, known to be a b*tch) a couple of problems of 3 sheets of about 8 problems per sheet but I don't have time to solve the remaining ones, well, the first sheet I solved 6/7 but I barely had time to solve a problem of sheet 2 and none of sheet 3. All those problems are a part of theoretical classes, not to submit but in order to go to the exam... you must to know how to solve them if you want to have a little chance to pass, otherwise, such professor will crush your bones. The optional subject of Gas Treatments is fast, ends by 20th November, we had our dissertation of our assignment (you know... powerpoint and 10 minutes of exhibition with stupid questions...) yesterday but the exam is on 20th November, along with another assignment in other subject to research about a project and propose how to solve a project with schedules, planning, ... and Advanced Process Separation, the next week we will have another assignment. Where can I get time to study? I don't know in the US but here is fairly normal to repeat courses and stay more than the theoretical years to finish a degree. My Master's is about 1 year and a half (I decided to go to the "faster way") but I feel I will need 3 years to complete this... The next year I will be working full time or half time, I will see... while repeating failed courses... Life is truly hell.
OP a little background on me. Im the lead electrical engineer in m mid twenties for two very large oil refineries. I can work 12 plus hours days and go with out a day off sometimes over 30 days.

Im very familiar with what you are describing. (Claus Process, Catalytic Cracking, to name the least) I have learned very quickly on my own the process you describe with out a chemical engineering degree. What your are describing is a typical working day for our plant production engineers.

The working world will be way more stressful, and after a few years you will realize that school was a cake walk.

Just stick with it and you will reap the benefits very quickly.

Old 11-05-2017, 04:40 AM

Do you think is ok to get a full time job when the theory classes/credits are over and end this Master's when I can? I decided to not study any longer unless an employer tells me is mandatory and would be the very minimum... I am sorry but I am tired of studying... An Associates Degree, a Bachelor's Degree and now a Master's Degree, I don't want to be studying my entire life, at least not more degrees. Finally, I am not interested in a PhD, research is not what I have in my mind and also I started working in engineering companies so It would not make much sense...

I will be working hard this Master's this year to pass the more courses I can but if I fail 2,3,4,5... I don't want to stop my life for this reason. I wouldn't care if takes me 2,3,4,5,6 years to complete this if I would have a full-time job. I have seen lots of similar cases while studying my Associates Degree, people older than me who were working full time while studying the Associates and took them 5,6,7 years to complete it.

Also, do you think is essential to have good qualifications? I have real experience... In this country the qualifications go from 0 to 10, you pass with 5.0. and 5.0 is said to be the engineering qualification, LOL. I would sign any paper to pass this Master's with 5.0 in every course...

Old 11-06-2017, 10:41 AM

6,965 posts, read 10,857,589 times
I don't completely follow, but it seems to me you do not enjoy the coursework at all and do not need the qualifications from the degree.

If that is the case, then IMHO, I would drop out.

Again, just my opinion.

Old 11-07-2017, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I don't completely follow, but it seems to me you do not enjoy the coursework at all and do not need the qualifications from the degree.

If that is the case, then IMHO, I would drop out.

Again, just my opinion.
I need the degree because employers here and in Europe demand Master's Degree rather than Bachelor's that nowadays is the new High School equivalent, in Europe. It is not mandatory to have good qualifications in the courses because I have never been asked for my qualifications in any interview, at least in Mexico (where I worked), Spain (where I worked), UK, Netherlands and Ireland. Sometimes I saw job applications that asked for qualifications (courses) but they are usually those that don't ask for job experience, I skip those applications and problem solved. I will try to get a full time job the next year, here in Spain, while finishing the failed courses (I hope no more than 5) and the dissertation and depending on courses failed, I'll stay 2,3 or 4 years studying.

Old 11-07-2017, 11:05 AM

5,784 posts, read 3,056,197 times
I think here in the US a masters is typically two years though three is not unheard of. The program I did was an 18 month program. Pure hell. Just too much material to cover in that short a time. I did it but had no life and barely slept. But yes it has been valuable to have it in my career.

A lot of the working engineers I know today go part time while working. Takes a bit longer but not as intense as the full time program.

Old 11-08-2017, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I think here in the US a masters is typically two years though three is not unheard of. The program I did was an 18 month program. Pure hell. Just too much material to cover in that short a time. I did it but had no life and barely slept. But yes it has been valuable to have it in my career.

A lot of the working engineers I know today go part time while working. Takes a bit longer but not as intense as the full time program.
Yes, it's exactly what we have right now and I am not the only one saying this Master is a hell, almost everyone is frustrated and stressed, we have lots of homework with tight deadlines and when you submit 3 works you do have another 3 waiting for the next week. Classes are far quicker than in Bachelor's and Associate's, professors explain/solve problems so quick, like a fast camera movie and those hundreds of slideshows + unsolved problems per sheet that you need to study/solve at home if you want to have any chance to pass anything... (and I say any course, not all courses!, this is the spanish hardcore engineering way, we always stay far more time than any other graduate in other countries).

Old 11-10-2017, 05:36 AM

9,871 posts, read 8,028,136 times
Work hard and look to your future.

Old 11-12-2017, 06:03 AM

Which strategy is the best when you are overwhelmed with lots of work and you don't have enough time? In the past I usually leave courses/classes to next year but this time I can't do that since this Master's has a very limited opportunities, you can only repeat once and also the price of repeating a class is about 2/3 times higher and I am paying this Master's by myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or