U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 08:21 AM

563 posts, read 238,050 times

Advertisements

As I stated months ago I was about to start a Master's Degree in Chemical Engineering. I have the equivalent of Associates Degree in Chemical Engineering (3 years in my case) and also Bachelors in Chemical Engineering (4 years degree) so that I am now studying the Master's Degree in Chemical Engineering. The courses are quite harder than Bachelor's Degree but also there are lots of works to submit in tight deadlines. The worst part for me is "homework", work in group to submit in a week or less and they are tough. So, at this moment the Master's is homework oriented, not a lot of classes but heavy homework. I am tired, I am always doing things from Monday to Sunday. Fortunately this hell lasts 1 year, the second year is the thesis. I am not able to sleep less than 6 hours. What can I do to at least pass the courses? (I have experience, I don't care qualifications).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2017, 03:13 PM

5,761 posts, read 3,041,090 times
I can only speak from my experience in grad school and what I observed from friends. Grad school at least in a STEM field is just pure hell. Sleep is optional. For example, of the people I know who were married when they entered grad school, about half were divorced by the end of it. Fortunately I was single. It just consumes all your time.

As for the group homework. The best that worked for me was to study and prepare ahead of group meetings as if for class. Then in group meetings be open and willing to go to the board and start working the problems (we usually met in a class room at night for just that purpose). Others will jump in and start working it and arguing it out. Combat physics is common so you need a think skin and self confidence to both argue your point and to accept someone else's point when they are right without ego (not saying that's you; just my experience that grad school will beat your ego into the ground).

Old 10-30-2017, 08:05 AM

3,080 posts, read 2,551,393 times
My Masters was in Computer Science. One of the things that made it easier was getting into the right study group. We were all similarly motivated and enjoyed explaining things to each other. It wasn't a coincidence that we were at the top of the curve, and by the second year, most of us were TAs.

Old 11-02-2017, 01:30 PM

6,950 posts, read 10,831,939 times
I have a portion of a Civil Engineering grad degree done.

I BUSTED my arse and got all As, but if I got Bs and Cs it wouldn't have made a difference.

I was never going to do a pHd. So, one thing you could do is cut down on the effort.

Another thing. It's a question students rarely ask themselves, but ... "Do you like the material and do you enjoy the challenge?"

If you do, then carry on. But it sure as h@ll doesn't sound enjoyable to you.

If you don't care about the qualifications, then why are you doing it?

There were a lot of periods during my schooling where I worked my arse off ... and in retrospect, it wasn't worth very much at all. Now, I'm a unique case as are you, but yea...

Old 11-02-2017, 01:42 PM

15,745 posts, read 13,176,204 times
Looking back I loved the first year of my graduate work, in a science not engineering . All classes and no thesis. It was heaven. My thesis years were hellish as was getting ready to defend. But I think most peoples experience are like that. I did go into it knowing it would eat my life. Unlike the other poster I don’t regret any of it.

Old 11-02-2017, 07:11 PM

8 posts, read 4,088 times
Instead of putting effort into a master degree you should be putting effort into a Professional Engineer licence. It will get you further in your career than a masters degree.

Old 11-02-2017, 07:30 PM

1,691 posts, read 667,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by General_Batista View Post
Instead of putting effort into a master degree you should be putting effort into a Professional Engineer licence. It will get you further in your career than a masters degree.
I agree with this. In my career I saw far more demand for the P.E. than an engineer with a Masters. Besides, the P.E. is where the money is.

Old 11-02-2017, 07:37 PM

496 posts, read 221,186 times
Quote:
Instead of putting effort into a master degree you should be putting effort into a Professional Engineer licence.
The OP is in Europe, not the US. They may not have the PE cert over there.

Old 11-02-2017, 10:04 PM

8 posts, read 4,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nccoast View Post
The OP is in Europe, not the US. They may not have the PE cert over there.
Surely his country requires engineers to be registered.

Old 11-03-2017, 07:41 AM

6,950 posts, read 10,831,939 times
Quote:
Depends on the engineering field.

For ChemEs, and I speak with minimal experience, I don't think it's that important.

For CivEs, very important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or