U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 04:54 PM

5,761 posts, read 3,041,090 times

Advertisements

This isn't an actual situation, that I know of, but several of us were discussing, what would happen if a student were applying for a major scholarship or college acceptance and were rejected because a school failed to send transcripts or some other information required by some date?

Given the high financial stakes in some colleges and scholarships, would the school have any liability or would it be a "too bad for you" situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2017, 11:09 PM

2,880 posts, read 5,073,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
This isn't an actual situation, that I know of, but several of us were discussing, what would happen if a student were applying for a major scholarship or college acceptance and were rejected because a school failed to send transcripts or some other information required by some date?

Given the high financial stakes in some colleges and scholarships, would the school have any liability or would it be a "too bad for you" situation?
It is the responsibility of the student to follow up, to double and triple check.

Old 11-05-2017, 06:39 AM

But that isn't the question. Follow up, double check, triple check only let's the student know there is a problem. The student can only request action, but doesn't have the authority to force a school to act. The question is about a school's failure to act.

Old 11-05-2017, 07:11 AM

14,064 posts, read 9,792,250 times
Quote:

Just so you understand the federal law:
  • Transcripts fall under school records laws and regulations.
  • Public schools are not required to keep records a specific amount of time once a student leaves the school, unless there is already a pending request. If there the student has left the school system and there are no pending requests the school is free to destroy the records outside of special education records, which have their own rules.
  • Public schools are not required to provide physical copies of records to anyone, including the student or parents. If they do provide copies they may charge a reasonable fee.
  • Public schools are required to allow a student over the age 18 or parents of a student under the age of 18 to view records. They have 45 days after receiving such a request to make those records available for viewing.
State laws and district rules vary greatly, however, most give schools wide latitude in this area. It is not in their interest to set schools up to be sued. Bottom line: "too bad for you" pretty much legally sums it up. Reality, however, is that most schools and districts make a good faith effort to provide transcripts in a timely manner, whether they are officially required to or not. Partly this is driven by wanting their students to be successful post attendance and partly because they are all aware neglecting this is something that will inspire righteous wrath from their elected school board members.
Moderator - Asia, Kentucky, Lexington, and Louisville

Old 11-05-2017, 06:16 PM

So to be clear a student could be competing for a full ride to Harvard for example, and the school could fail to send transcripts resulting in that student instead going to Podunk State and the school bears no responsibility for the impact to that student's life caused by their failure?

I'm trying to make sure I understand, because that just seems morally wrong to me.

Old 11-05-2017, 06:22 PM

6,746 posts, read 2,619,543 times
Quote:
But that isn't the question. Follow up, double check, triple check only let's the student know there is a problem. The student can only request action, but doesn't have the authority to force a school to act. The question is about a school's failure to act.
So are you asking about a school that is outright refusing to send the transcripts? Because I agree with the posters who say you need to follow up and make sure they're sent.

So you're asking when a school refuses to send them despite repeated requests?

That does happen, actually. Schools refuse to send transcripts because a student owes the school money or has a discipline issue they haven't resolved.

Old 11-05-2017, 09:10 PM

6,763 posts, read 9,750,547 times
A school could also have technical difficulties. I was applying to a few 4-year schools, and one of the community colleges I attended couldn't send transcripts for months. It was no big deal since I had no deadline to meet for anything important, but I wasn't able to see how my credits would transfer over before selecting a school.

Old 11-06-2017, 01:23 AM

14,064 posts, read 9,792,250 times
Quote:
So to be clear a student could be competing for a full ride to Harvard for example, and the school could fail to send transcripts resulting in that student instead going to Podunk State and the school bears no responsibility for the impact to that student's life caused by their failure?

I'm trying to make sure I understand, because that just seems morally wrong to me.
As with many aspect of life, what is morally wrong and what is legally wrong are not always the same thing. By the way, these types of errors are why most institutes of higher ed accept transcripts in sealed over-signed envelopes mailed in by the student and/or occasionally will issue conditional acceptance based on unofficial transcripts pending receipt of official ones.
Moderator - Asia, Kentucky, Lexington, and Louisville

Old 11-06-2017, 07:48 PM

15,745 posts, read 13,180,165 times
Quote:

Deadlines are sometimes missed. IME (and I know of several specific cases) colleges, even the competitive ones, will usually take transcripts or letters of rec late if there was a mistake made or a technical problem. The so sad too bad litany tends to be reserved for when students miss deadlines with their own parts of an application.

Old 11-06-2017, 08:17 PM

7,031 posts, read 3,750,182 times
Quote:

Actually, it's not hypothetical at all. It has happened.

That said, it is ultimately the student's responsibility to follow through and verify that anything that needs to be sent has not only been sent by the school, but received by the college or scholarship committee by the required deadline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or