U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 12:55 AM

3,413 posts, read 1,968,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenseiB52 View Post
I dont know man, its just that graduates with a CIS degree have a high unemployment rate (4.8) next to history majors. But Accounting grads have a 2.3 unemployment rate.
I wouldn't worry about that small a difference in unemployment rates. You can overcome that by having better grades, more extracurricular activities, an internship or just superior interviewing skills. Trust a 65 year old, do what you enjoy. If you enjoy it you will do a better job and advance more quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2017, 01:19 AM

11,392 posts, read 6,806,747 times
The recent upsurge in forensics may have eased things a little, but I have to advise: Stay away from accounting if you're basically an introvert who doesn't do well at office politics or dealing with a fickle public.

I began extra accounting coursework in my late thirties, and aced the first four courses, but attempts to get a feeling for the job "from the inside" on a part-time or seasonal basis were regularly rebuffed. It was "get your CPA, invest in a couple of cheap suits, take a Dale Carnegie course or two, quit your unionized-environment "black coffee" job, and walk into the corporate jungle psychologically naked".

Not everyone sees it this way, of course, but pay attention to Alexander Pope's admonition that "All our knowledge is ourselves to know."

Old 11-05-2017, 01:14 AM

9,465 posts, read 15,041,607 times
I would suggest CIS as a major, and perhaps accounting as a minor. Accounting is being off-shored for as little as $5/hour. But do make sure you take the right courses to sit the CPA exam. When I took it, the requirements were either a bachelor's in accounting, or a bachelors with 30 credits in accounting. However, that was a long time ago, don't take my word for now. Check out the requirements to sit the CPA exam and aim for that, along with the CIS.

Old 11-05-2017, 05:57 AM

17 posts, read 7,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
I wouldn't worry about that small a difference in unemployment rates. You can overcome that by having better grades, more extracurricular activities, an internship or just superior interviewing skills. Trust a 65 year old, do what you enjoy. If you enjoy it you will do a better job and advance more quickly.
Thanks sir

Old 11-05-2017, 06:14 AM

1,387 posts, read 603,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
Trust a 65 year old, do what you enjoy. If you enjoy it you will do a better job and advance more quickly.
This is good advice. If you enjoy what you do, the extra time and effort that it takes to excel at it will seem fun and easy. If you trap yourself in a job you dislike, the odds of failure in life go way up.

Old 11-05-2017, 09:47 AM

14,404 posts, read 16,320,098 times
Go with the one you like best which is CIS. If your specialty is Computer Security, you likely won't have any trouble staying employed. Computer Security is a growing specialty.

Maybe you can major in CIS and minor if Accounting.

When you look at labor statistics, look at the job growth forecasts - not only the percentage but also look at the actual expected volume of jobs. For example, a job with small numbers of people working in that field could grow from 2000 to 3000 and will boast stats of 50% growth, but it only added 1000 new jobs. Whereas a job field with 1,000,000 jobs that adds 200,000 jobs will have a lower percent of growth but adds many more actual jobs.

Ideally, consider picking a career field that has bigger job numbers(actual headcount of jobs) because this means more available job openings for you.

Old 11-05-2017, 08:37 PM

5,235 posts, read 2,386,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post
Would you not say that someone with a number of accounting core classes would be sufficient? Economics and Law both do not require the degree to make interesting contributions and to gain an appointment at top schools. Rare, yes, but largely because most do not think out of the box than many trying and failing.

But I defer...my evidence is purely anecdotal...
No.

Every accounting PhD program that Iím familiar with not only requires an undergrad degree in accounting, but a masters in accounting or tax as well. If an otherwise qualified candidate doesnít have the masters, they will be required to take at least the masters level core accounting coursework as part of the PhD program.

Given that the PhD is a research degree, it would be very difficult to do the kind of research that is required without that level of preparation.

Now, with all of that said, Iím sure that a specialized program could be put together for an exceptional candidate, but it would be very rare.

Old 11-06-2017, 08:08 AM

120 posts, read 44,906 times
Information systems is basically another type of IT degree , and IT has many fields , both are good majors in my opinion , you work hard , get some internships , job hunt all senior year and graduate youll do fine with any of those degrees .

Old 11-06-2017, 09:37 AM

6,963 posts, read 10,849,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenseiB52 View Post
I am in the last semester of my community college program, getting ready to transfer to a uni. I have completed all of my prerequisites to attend their school of business but, Im not sure what I want to major in. I am stuck between Computer Information Systems and Accounting. I love computer networking and security and I have a genuine interest in it. I have a little interest in Accounting but I dont think it would be a problem for me and I believe I can succeed in this field. I understand people tell me to major in what I love but, the field that I love doesnt seem to promising while Accounting does.
I want to choose a major that will set me up for job security. Ive looked at the stats for Information Systems majors and they have a high unemployment rate. Accounting does not have a high unemployment rate.

So should I major in Accounting, or go for what I love and major in CIS and get certs and experience while Im in school? Or should I major in Accounting and minor in CIS?

Source:https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...JLhJHLraA1vZip

Thanks.
Don't take this the wrong way, but this is one example of where worrying about job security and job growth and practicality just go way too far.

From my initial impression, CIS probably has a better future than Accounting.

Either way, CIS is an extremely practical passion and you are very lucky you have it as such.

Go for it without hesitation.

Old 11-06-2017, 09:55 AM

17 posts, read 7,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulstriker View Post
Information systems is basically another type of IT degree , and IT has many fields , both are good majors in my opinion , you work hard , get some internships , job hunt all senior year and graduate youll do fine with any of those degrees .
Thanks, I still have alot of time to decide. I think I will got with CIS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or