U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 02:40 PM

6,091 posts, read 3,195,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VendorDude View Post
Same old story, same old song and dance. The reputation of Hillsdale precedes it, and hardly in a good way.

"Austrian economics" itself is a complete fraud. The very name was dredged up in the 1970's from a long-forgotten late 19th century debate between a group of German academics and a group of Austrian academics that the Germans had been laughing at. For 80 years after, there was nary a mention of anything called the "Austrian school." It's not a "tradition." There was never an "Austrian" economist who realized at the time that he was an "Austrian", save for those who had in fact been born in a place that was at the time called Austria. The whole heterodox ball of anarcho-capitalistic Austrian wax is actually just an imaginary tale made up from the legendary past.
Ok, you may want to put forth your qualifications in economics to make those assertions.

I note once again that you still have provide no evidence that a significant number of employers view Hillsdale in a negative way. You've made the assertion several times now but provided no evidence.

Old 11-14-2017, 02:48 PM

7,031 posts, read 3,744,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
$48 K is what they told him when he was there. $50K is what they told my daughter 8 years ago.

I suspect the $37K may be an average after deducing their average scholarship. Or maybe it is tuition only, without adding in room and board, books, fees, etc. At least that is the only way I can make sense of it.
I double checked. It's not an average net price. It is the full sticker price on Hillsdale's website, which you can find here:

https://www.hillsdale.edu/admissions...ion-and-costs/

As I mentioned earlier, sticker price and net price are often two different things. If you haven't already done so, use Hillsdale's net price calculator to get an early estimate of what your actual out of pocket costs might look like.

If there is any chance that your son may want to do engineering, and he has a strong preference for small schools, then you and he might want to also investigate a few smaller schools that offer engineering. Close to home, Case Western Reserve in Cleveland would be an example. Calvin College in Michigan is another excellent smaller college with an engineering program, and, like Hillsdale, it tends to attract more conservative students.

Lawrence University in Wisconsin is one of several liberal arts colleges that have engineering programs, and their Freshman Studies program might be of interest to a student who likes Hillsdale's curriculum approach.

Your son might also investigate liberal arts colleges that offer engineering 3+2 programs, which offer a smooth path into an engineering program. An example close to home would be the 3+2 engineering program at the College of Wooster and Denison. Hope College also has a 3+2 program.

It can sometimes be difficult to transfer from a liberal arts school directly into an engineering program like the University of Michigan and graduate in 4 years, if you're missing any of the pre-requisites required. So, make sure your son reviews the pre-requisites on the U Mich engineering (or other schools he might want to transfer to) early in his freshman year and plans his schedule of courses accordingly in case he does decide on Hillsdale and later to transfer elsewhere for engineering.

Good luck to your son!

Last edited by RosieSD; 11-14-2017 at 03:22 PM..

Old 11-14-2017, 04:44 PM

17,568 posts, read 21,748,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
I never met any Christian who thinks Halloween is 'evil'.

Hillsdale does not appear to require any Bible based classes. It appears that you are just assuming that is the case.
Seriously? Every October there is a thread on the Christianity forum about the evils of Halloween. In fact, there may be one there now.

These Born Again Christians almost ALL believe that Halloween is related to the Devil. You will find this belief at Assemblies of God, many Baptist Churches, Church of God, Missouri Synod Lutheran, and many non-denominational Christian Churches.

Most of the students at Hillsdale come from churches like this. If the OP's son has not been raised this way, they might feel very out of place at Hillsdale.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/phil-...b_6006222.html
http://www.thestranger.com/slog/arch...r-on-halloween

Old 11-14-2017, 04:56 PM

6,762 posts, read 9,742,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Seriously? Every October there is a thread on the Christianity forum about the evils of Halloween. In fact, there may be one there now.

These Born Again Christians almost ALL believe that Halloween is related to the Devil. You will find this belief at Assemblies of God, many Baptist Churches, Church of God, Missouri Synod Lutheran, and many non-denominational Christian Churches.

Most of the students at Hillsdale come from churches like this. If the OP's son has not been raised this way, they might feel very out of place at Hillsdale.

There Really Is an Evangelical Christian War on Halloween - Slog - The Stranger
You can usually identify these churches by seeing who offers a fall festival as an alternative to Halloween.

Old 11-14-2017, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

There Really Is an Evangelical Christian War on Halloween - Slog - The Stranger
I don't believe that you can provide any evidence of your assertion that most students at Hillsdale 'come from churches' like the ones you link to.

Can you name one person that you know that has attended Hillsdale?

It is interesting how liberals on here take out of the mainstream Christian groups and try to pass it off as mainstream Christianity. I grew up in Baptist church , never heard of any Christians saying Halloween is evil.

And, as I've pointed out several times now, Hillsdale does not appear to require any Bible based classes.

Moreover, all of their programs appear to be accredited.

Old 11-14-2017, 07:35 PM

6,044 posts, read 3,633,588 times
Quote:
I don't believe that you can provide any evidence of your assertion that most students at Hillsdale 'come from churches' like the ones you link to.

Can you name one person that you know that has attended Hillsdale?

It is interesting how liberals on here take out of the mainstream Christian groups and try to pass it off as mainstream Christianity. I grew up in Baptist church , never heard of any Christians saying Halloween is evil.

And, as I've pointed out several times now, Hillsdale does not appear to require any Bible based classes.

Moreover, all of their programs appear to be accredited.
You know (well, actually you don't), just because you haven't heard of, seen, experienced, thought of or don't approve of something doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.

Old 11-14-2017, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
You know (well, actually you don't), just because you haven't heard of, seen, experienced, thought of or don't approve of something doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.
I never said that there are no Christians that believe Halloween is evil. I said it isn't mainstream Christianity.

I'll also give you the opportunity to provide specific evidence that even 1 student or graduate of Hillsdale believes Halloween is evil. I note the person that made that assertion never provided any evidence. I'm open minded about it.

Old 11-14-2017, 11:41 PM

6,044 posts, read 3,633,588 times
Hillsdale doesn't matter to me. They seem like a good college. But I would have never gone there. I don't have a problem with their politics or their religious emphasis, none of that means anything to me.

But for me they have one unredeemable problem. And that is that they are in the middle of nowhere. Nope, not for me.

Then again, that is also true of Clemson. No way would I have gone there either.

Old 11-15-2017, 06:05 AM

698 posts, read 383,032 times
Quote:
Ok, you may want to put forth your qualifications in economics to make those assertions.
You should be quite a bit more concerned over the fruited plains of economic history that you have never wandered across than over the state of my credentials to present parts of that picture to you. The history stands after all regardless of who I am.

To recap, there was certainly a range of late 19th and early 20th century economists who were born, lived, or worked in Austria, but there never was such a thing as an "Austrian school" of economics until a handful of right-wingers invented it out of whole cloth in the 1970s. In an attempt to cloak their efforts in a post hoc robe of credibility, they reached back into history and selected some long forgotten figures to place in the pantheon of their newly minted school, tradition, and heritage. Disliking math and disliking Marx were major criteria in the selection process. And for 40 years now, this entire "Austrian" construct has rested not on the scope of its scholarship or accomplishment, but rather on the scope of the bank accounts of the small cadré of fat-cat hard-right industrialists that has kept them in business all this time.

That Hillsdale actually aligns itself with such heterodox malarkey speaks to some of the reasons why the school's reputation is not such a positive one. Illiberal views of the Constitution would speak to more such concerns, but those would be for a different discussion.

Old 11-15-2017, 10:24 AM

https://www.hillsdale.edu/hillsdale-...impsom-asylum/

Looks like students at Hillsdale have been celebrating Halloween.

And the faculty and staff.

https://www.hillsdale.edu/hillsdale-...mpus/fall-fun/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities