U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2017, 12:05 PM

7,031 posts, read 3,770,069 times

Advertisements

I know from personal experience that there are Christians who believe that Halloween is evil.

However, a quick check of Hillsdale's website shows that Hillsdale faculty and staff take their children trick or treating in the Hillsdale dorms and that Halloween is celebrated in other ways on campus, so I don't think this is really an issue there. See this link from Hillsdale's website:

Fall Fun At Hillsdale College

Old 11-15-2017, 08:37 PM

17,631 posts, read 21,820,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
I never said that there are no Christians that believe Halloween is evil. I said it isn't mainstream Christianity.

I'll also give you the opportunity to provide specific evidence that even 1 student or graduate of Hillsdale believes Halloween is evil. I note the person that made that assertion never provided any evidence. I'm open minded about it.
YES. And HILSDALE is not MAINS STREAM CHRISTIANITY! Exactly my point.

It is out of the MAIN STREAM.

ETA - before you start calling me an "Atheist", I am a main stream Christian. I am a member of a mainstream church and I am active there.
You may check my posting history in the Christian sub fora if you like.

Old 11-15-2017, 08:45 PM

6,100 posts, read 3,220,242 times
I linked to Hillsdale website to show that both students and faculty have celebrated Halloween, and you still stand by your assertion?

I don't care about your personal religious beliefs. I was asking you to provide evidence of your assertion that students and faculty believe Halloween is evil, which you still have not done.

Mainstream is one word.

It is interesting that you assume that I am a Christian, given I have not talked about my religious views on here.

Old 11-15-2017, 09:11 PM

17,631 posts, read 21,820,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
I linked to Hillsdale website to show that both students and faculty have celebrated Halloween, and you still stand by your assertion?

I don't care about your personal religious beliefs. I was asking you to provide evidence of your assertion that students and faculty believe Halloween is evil, which you still have not done.

Mainstream is one word.

It is interesting that you assume that I am a Christian, given I have not talked about my religious views on here.

Did I say that Hillsdale forbid the celebration of Halloween?

I think that most students who attend HC are from conservative fundamentalist Christians. This is not a speculation on my part, it is a fact.

I also know that many, if not most fundamentalist Christians do NOT approve of Halloween. FACT. They have Harvest Festivals. Costume parties with no scary costumes. Or they give out biblical tracts.

I have also studied fundamentalist Christianity as a subculture and how, in the past 30-40 years it has affected the American political landscape.

Have you? If so, what books have YOU read on the subject?

People do not only choose colleges on the basis of Halloween celebration though. If you return to my other posts, you will see that there are a variety of distinctives that I ascribed to fundamentalist Christian colleges that might be off putting to the OP - or more importantly, the OP's son.

I also offered several better secular private colleges that have a sizable conservative population. I can offer 20 more that are not emmired in that particular subculture.

As for your being a Christian of any stripe - I never thought you were. If you were, you would know thee difference between mainline Christianity and fundamentalist Christianity.

I also do not think the OP is a fundamentalist Christian.

Old 11-15-2017, 09:38 PM

6,100 posts, read 3,220,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

I think that most students who attend HC are from conservative fundamentalist Christians. This is not a speculation on my part, it is a fact.

I note again that you still have not provided evidence of your assertion, despite your claim that it is a 'fact'. Can you name one student or alumnus or professor of or at Hillsdale?

How would all the Halloween is the devil people know Hillsdale is the place to go to college, if they don't advertise on their website that Hillsdale thinks Halloween is the devil? In terms of probability, it doesn't seem likely that Christians out of the mainstream regarding Halloween would be the only ones to attend Hillsdale.

You keep talking about 'fundamentalism' but as I've pointed out, Hillsdale doesn't require Bible based classes. Wouldn't a 'fundamentalist' Christian college require Bible classes?

It seems to me that you aren't talking about Hillsdale but rather 'fundamentalist' Christianity.

Old 11-15-2017, 09:59 PM

5,772 posts, read 3,059,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

I also know that many, if not most fundamentalist Christians do NOT approve of Halloween. FACT. They have Harvest Festivals. Costume parties with no scary costumes. Or they give out biblical tracts.

I have also studied fundamentalist Christianity as a subculture and how, in the past 30-40 years it has affected the American political landscape.

Have you? If so, what books have YOU read on the subject?

People do not only choose colleges on the basis of Halloween celebration though. If you return to my other posts, you will see that there are a variety of distinctives that I ascribed to fundamentalist Christian colleges that might be off putting to the OP - or more importantly, the OP's son.

I also offered several better secular private colleges that have a sizable conservative population. I can offer 20 more that are not emmired in that particular subculture.

As for your being a Christian of any stripe - I never thought you were. If you were, you would know thee difference between mainline Christianity and fundamentalist Christianity.

I also do not think the OP is a fundamentalist Christian.
You're making claims about fundamentalist Christians that most who consider themselves fundamentalist would consider at extreme subgroup outside fundamentalism. For some reason fundamentalists are considered ignorant, uneducated, often hate filled, shall I go on? Yet this stereotype is untrue. Sure there are some who are both fundamentalist and uneducated, but then that applies to any subgroup out there. Some people who are hate filled claim to be fundamentalist. But that doesn't make it so, nor that they represent everyone else.

As for Hillsboro itself, I know nothing about it one way or the other. I just suggest learning about the school itself rather than from reactions people have based on a negative religious stereotype and not on actual performance of the school.

Old 11-15-2017, 10:33 PM

7,031 posts, read 3,770,069 times
Just wanted to add a tidbit about Hillsdale's 2017 admissions profile, from their student newspaper:

Hillsdale College students set the highest average all-campus GPA since 2007 with an average of 3.343 last spring, surpassing fall 2016’s record of 3.34.

New average GPA record

I can't find the OP's post, but I think they mentioned a much higher average GPA earlier, so I want to pass on this information.

For comparison purposes with the other schools mentioned as ones the OPs son was applying to:

University of Michigan average GPA: 3.87
Bowling Green: 3.47
University of Toledo: 3.36

Old 11-15-2017, 10:46 PM

4,710 posts, read 5,858,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Just wanted to add a tidbit about Hillsdale's 2017 admissions profile, from their student newspaper:

Hillsdale College students set the highest average all-campus GPA since 2007 with an average of 3.343 last spring, surpassing fall 2016ís record of 3.34.

New average GPA record

I can't find the OP's post, but I think they mentioned a much higher average GPA earlier, so I want to pass on this information.

For comparison purposes with the other schools mentioned as ones the OPs son was applying to:

University of Michigan average GPA: 3.87
Bowling Green: 3.47
University of Toledo: 3.36
This doesn't have anything to do with Hillsdale's 2017 admissions profile. The article talks about the average grades that Hillsdale professors are giving to their students. It might possibly mean that they want students to stay at Hillsdale and pay the high tuition. In other words, failing students do not pay next year's tuition bills. Or possibly, all of Hillsdale's students are considerably above average.

I'm assuming the average GPAs listed for the three schools above are the average high school GPAs of their incoming freshmen class.

Old 11-16-2017, 01:46 AM

7,589 posts, read 8,013,779 times
Just some rambling thoughts here.

If your son wants to major in music, he pretty much has to decide that in his freshman year. The curriculum is packed and very sequential. It's easier to start as a music major and switch to something else later than the other way around. It sounds like he enjoys music performance, but music majors and music minors take classes in other areas, including music history, theory, conducting, orchestration, etc. Your son must have taken AP music theory so he has some idea if he likes that, as well. The audition process is usually different for a music major vs. a music minor. He really has to decide, now. If he doesn't want to major or minor in music, he can just take private lessons for credit. He may prefer that and play in music ensembles. Obviously, UM has a fabulous music department with great opportunities for networking. He needs more information regarding audition requirements, required classes, music major options, internships in order to make an informed decision.

If your son is considering majoring in engineering, that's another program with a ton of prerequisites and requirements. Find out what kind of internship opportunities are offered to students. Double majoring in engineering and music is going to be really tough, especially if you want to finish in 4 years.

I know that your son is more inclined towards a small school, but for someone who is uncertain about their major, the larger school provides more opportunities for exploration. After sophomore year, once your son has decided on not just the department of his major, but has narrowed the focus of his major, that large school becomes a small school. Students of the same major and in the same class tend follow the same schedule and courses. Upper-class courses and seminars have a smaller class size than the introductory freshman classes. Music classes, in particular, since they require individual performance in conducting, sightsinging, etc. are always on the small side. By junior year, most students are living off campus anyway.

Find out about practice rooms-very important for students taking private lessons. How available and convenient are they?

It's very hard to make this decision. It's like taking a new job. People tell you all kinds of information, but you don't really know what it's going to be like until you start doing it.

FWIW, I visited UM for the first time this summer. I was a little disappointed because I thought the campus and Ann Arbor were going to be nicer since I had heard from so many sources that they were both very nice. Maybe, I expected too much and maybe I was influenced by the grey Michigan weather.

Old 11-16-2017, 07:44 AM

7,299 posts, read 15,326,162 times
While there's a lot of overlap between very right wing and Christian fundamentalist, there's still a big part of that Venn diagram where you have right wing but not fundamentalist and even fundamentalist and not right wing.

Hillsdale is right wing but not fundamentalist; the right wing fundies in Michigan tend to gravitate toward other schools like Calvin (current infamous alumni- Betsy DeVos), Cornerstone, and anything with 'Bible College' in the name. A lot of that group see a school like Hillsdale as suspiciously secular and would freak over reports there are students at the 'Dale wearing hijabs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.