U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 11-07-2017, 06:08 PM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'The Waterfall City'
6,091 posts, read 3,201,164 times
Reputation: 2334

Advertisements

What I'm seeing is you trying to steer people away from Hillsdale, based on your own ideology, while calling conservatives 'stubborn' because you dont' agree with them, all while saying that you are for diversity of thought. If you think a conservative person by default is 'stubborn', it seems odd that you are denying you have an ideology.

I never said there are no conservatives or libertarians on campus at the typical college. I was talking about professors, and in the liberal arts majors, students often have their professors forced their political views on them.

You can go to websites like College Fix and Campus Reform and see examples of what I'm talking about.

I'm not trying to steer any student to Hillsdale or any other college.

 
Old 11-07-2017, 06:17 PM
 
2,244 posts, read 808,539 times
Reputation: 3677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
What I'm seeing is you trying to steer people away from Hillsdale, based on your own ideology, while calling conservatives 'stubborn' because you dont' agree with them, all while saying that you are for diversity of thought.

I never said there are no conservatives or libertarians on campus at the typical college. I was talking about professors, and in the liberal arts majors, students often have their professors forced their political views on them.
No, I never called conservatives stubborn. I said that people (in the general sense of the word) can become stubborn when they surround themselves only with beliefs that they already adhere to. Reading comprehension, my friend...

I've never had any professor try to force their political beliefs on me. Not once. If anything, they tried extremely hard (too hard sometimes) to be as objective and middle of the road as they could be.

When I started college, I was in the College Republicans, then the College Libertarians, and eventually just cut out altogether from the politically affiliated groups. I learned, from my experience in college, that I'm more of a moderate than anything. I have somewhat socially progressive views, and fiscally conservative views. So college really did not corrupt me. If anything, it broadened my perspective a ton.

If you want my true feelings about the worth of a Hillsdale degree, I'd probably tell OP not to send his son there. And it's not because of the religious or political affiliation. It's because it's expensive and nobody outside of far right conservative circles has heard of it. If I'm paying for an expensive education, I want future employers to know that I went to a reputable school that they've heard of. In that case, I'd strongly advocate that OP sends his son to one of the most highly regarded public schools in the nation and the world: Michigan.
 
Old 11-07-2017, 06:19 PM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'The Waterfall City'
6,091 posts, read 3,201,164 times
Reputation: 2334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
Today, I'm neither very religious or very conservative, and I think I'm a better person for it.

If you want your son to benefit from learning from a variety of people, cultures, ideas, etc., then push him to go to a more diverse school. Being immersed in a diverse setting will give him an advantage in critical thinking, whereas being in an environment where you're just being hand fed ideas that you already believe will not do much for you other than make you more stubborn.
I think that I got your meaning right.

Your message seems to be that being not religious and not conservative makes you more enlightened and you have better critical thinking skills.

Again, critical thinking skills are not related to your politics and religious views.

I've seen surveys that indicate a vast majority of liberal arts professors are Democrats. Where is the diversity of thought if that is the case.
 
Old 11-07-2017, 06:23 PM
 
2,244 posts, read 808,539 times
Reputation: 3677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
I think that I got your meaning right.

Your message seems to be that being not religious and not conservative makes you more enlightened and you have better critical thinking skills.

Again, critical thinking skills are not related to your politics and religious views.
I never said any of those things. And that's why critical thinking and reading comprehension skills are of the utmost importance. OP's son should learn these skills so that he's not caught up in the idiocy of most political debates that take place on forums like this, and in real life. Now, if you're done hi-jacking this thread...
 
Old 11-07-2017, 06:24 PM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'The Waterfall City'
6,091 posts, read 3,201,164 times
Reputation: 2334
You just said not being conservative and not being religious makes you more enlightened.

Isn't that a political statement? To be enlightened means you aren't religious and you aren't conservative seems to be your assertion.
 
Old 11-07-2017, 06:26 PM
 
2,244 posts, read 808,539 times
Reputation: 3677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
You just said not being conservative and not being religious makes you more enlightened.

Isn't that a political statement?
No...I did not.

I said that being immersed in a diverse environment, with diverse cultures, ideas, people, etc., made me much more enlightened of the world around me.
 
Old 11-07-2017, 06:28 PM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'The Waterfall City'
6,091 posts, read 3,201,164 times
Reputation: 2334
Ok but again, you are saying that there are professors at those colleges present a diversity of ideas and support debate, and most conservatives would disagree with that.

I would say my critical thinking skills lead me to disagree with that assertion, because of my own experiences at a large state university and numerous examples available on websites like College Fix that contradict it.

Enrollment at universities like Uni of Missouri has dropped significantly because of the radical leftist activism on campus. Conservative students don't feel comfortable there, and often don't feel safe. I don't see an advantage in attending a college where their intolerance of views that a student holds.
 
Old 11-07-2017, 06:33 PM
 
2,244 posts, read 808,539 times
Reputation: 3677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
Ok but again, you are saying that there that professors at those colleges present a diversity of ideas and support debate, and most conservatives would disagree with that.
Well, as a conservative (to some extent), I disagree with you. I never once felt that my professors lectured down to me. One of my good friends in college was president of the College Republicans and was often highly touted in some of the classes we had with shared professors.

You know why? Because he was intelligent and he was capable of engaging in intelligent discourse with the best of them. He didn't just try to twist their words around and engage in a flame war about who's views are better, as most stupid political debates devolve into. He was a highly regarded student in our graduating class, head of the College Republicans, African American, and gay. I actually learned a lot from him, and he ended up going to law school out east and is pretty successful with what he does now.

Now, I wonder if you'd ever meet someone like that at Hillsdale.
 
Old 11-07-2017, 06:36 PM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'The Waterfall City'
6,091 posts, read 3,201,164 times
Reputation: 2334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post

Now, I wonder if you'd ever meet someone like that at Hillsdale.

THis is what I mean, you basically insult students and alumni of Hillsdale, simply because they don't hold your beliefs.

You have implied that your views are better numerous times, to include saying you are more enlightened because you aren't conservative or religious. I didn't twist your statements.
 
Old 11-07-2017, 06:38 PM
 
2,244 posts, read 808,539 times
Reputation: 3677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
THis is what I mean, you basically insult students and alumni of Hillsdale, simply because they don't hold your beliefs.
I'm not insulting anyone. I am genuinely curious if that type of diversity exists at Hillsdale. I never said it did or didn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top