U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 09:59 AM

1,943 posts, read 3,307,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post

I am not aware of any school asking him to "audtion" per se. He did send a video to some schools I think. All of the schools he has visited, he had a free lesson with the trumpet teacher, except one where they could not find the guy. He played with/for the teacher, but did not actually audition. So far, all of them have wanted him in their school, he is pretty good and I am told has remarkable tone (I am not completely clear on what that means, I think I understand, but I ma not a technical music person - I can play the radio). Some schools told him wh would need to audition separately for Marching band, but he hates marching, so he is not interested unless they are going to offer him a huge scholarship to march.

It has been nearly 20 years since our oldest was auditioning for acceptance into Music Programs at various colleges. Maybe things have changed and this step is not required anymore. Or perhaps they do it in a different manner, such as the one-on-one playing sessions rather than formal auditions from a pre-determined selection of musical pieces. I do know that the familiarity of Professors with prospective students via private lessons/summer programs was intimidating to the auditioning students of nearly 20 years ago who did not have those connections.

See link below for U of M audition date and infos. These are being held a couple months later than what our son encountered during the 1998/99 school year so your son may be receiving invitations to audition fro all the schools he visited.

http://smtd.umich.edu/prospective_st...itiondates.htm

Best of luck with his decision process!

Last edited by MI-Roger; 11-10-2017 at 10:10 AM..

Old 11-10-2017, 10:12 AM

698 posts, read 383,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
You haven't provided any evidence that Hillsdale has a 'shady reputation' with employers, med schools, law schools, etc. You appear to think something is shady if it doesn't validate your views.
Hillsdale DOES validate my views, which are that like other faith-based institutions (Liberty, Regents, Grove City, Bob Jones, etc.) they ignore the inconvenient and do an incomplete and incompetent job of education. All of these schools would typically be looked at askance on a resumé.

Quote:
If you are saying there are no scientists that disagree with the theories of global warming and evolution, you are not well informed.
LOL! There are and have always been worthless crackpots and charlatans in the world. Hundreds of them can be found to this day just on the payrolls of Exxon/Mobil. Then there are the thousands of paid hacks and trolls working at the Heritage Foundation, AEI, Cato, the Mises Institute, and all those other propaganda nodes along the disinformation network known as the Echo Chamber. Real science is typically found at NONE of them. Real science after all is practiced only by ivory-tower elites who are out of touch with mainstream America.

Old 11-10-2017, 10:15 AM

6,091 posts, read 3,206,387 times
I don't think HIllsdale is similar to Bob Jones and Liberty in its setup. It doesn't appear to have a theology college.

I think it is similar to colleges like Furman and Davidson.

You are making my point for me about the hostility toward conservative thought by many liberals. You sneer at anybody who does not buy into your liberal views on the issues. There are professors like you at many colleges.

Old 11-10-2017, 10:20 AM

698 posts, read 383,647 times
I think you are mischaracterizng Hillsdale in hopes of skating past its very serious issues with academic credibility.

Old 11-10-2017, 10:24 AM

6,091 posts, read 3,206,387 times
Hillsdale has accredited programs and is ranked well by numerous publications. Their student body has good academic stats. Their tuition is steep so I don't think people would be paying that much if it had a terrible reputation for academics.

I note again that you have provided no evidence that employers, med schools , law schools, grad schools etc view Hillsdale as shady.

Your problem with Hillsdale is you are a liberal and Hilldale has a conservative reputation.

Old 11-10-2017, 10:49 AM

24,725 posts, read 59,646,697 times
Quote:
Hillsdale has accredited programs and is ranked well by numerous publications. Their student body has good academic stats. Their tuition is steep so I don't think people would be paying that much if it had a terrible reputation for academics.

I note again that you have provided no evidence that employers, med schools , law schools, grad schools etc view Hillsdale as shady.

Your problem with Hillsdale is you are a liberal and Hilldale has a conservative reputation.
YEs, their admission requirements are as high or higher than Michigan's. I believe.

Old 11-10-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
It has been nearly 20 years since our oldest was auditioning for acceptance into Music Programs at various colleges. Maybe things have changed and this step is not required anymore. Or perhaps they do it in a different manner, such as the one-on-one playing sessions rather than formal auditions from a pre-determined selection of musical pieces. I do know that the familiarity of Professors with prospective students via private lessons/summer programs was intimidating to the auditioning students of nearly 20 years ago who did not have those connections.

See link below for U of M audition date and infos. These are being held a couple months later than what our son encountered during the 1998/99 school year so your son may be receiving invitations to audition fro all the schools he visited.

UM School of Music, Theatre & Dance - Prospective Students - Undergraduate Audition Dates

Best of luck with his decision process!
Thank you.

It may be he did submit something for this. I know he sent some videos to some schools, but he has not had any formal auditions. Just "lessons" Except Michigan State where they told him a dual major is stupid, every one he has played with told him they want him to go to their school. (At Michigan state, they could not find the trumpet professor when he was scheduled to have a "lesson" He has pretty well nixed Michigan State, the tour was awful, the school is massive and very cold (not just temperature). The campus was basically dead, at least the parts we saw (it is massive after all)./ Everything we saw and heard pointed to a giant degree processing institution)

Maybe he still has to audition later. He has not heard anything from U-M yet. Pretty sure he would not need to audition for Hillsdale, Grand Valley, Wayne State (he is/was already a jazz student there in dual enrollment - he did have to audition for that), Western, U-Toledo, I think there are a couple more. Or maybe they would have him audition later anyway, despite telling him they wanted him in their music program. I do not know anything about music in college and I mostly get snippets of info from him and mom, since I am rarely able to go on these tours with them.

Old 11-10-2017, 11:01 AM

2,244 posts, read 809,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
YEs, their admission requirements are as high or higher than Michigan's. I believe.
According to whom?

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges...e-college-2272 - Hillsdale ranked #71 on Best Colleges in US

45% acceptance rate; considered "More Selective"

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges...-michigan-9092 - U of M ranked # 28 Best National University in US (top -5 Public Universities in US).

29% acceptance rate; considered "Most Selective"

Remember, that's 29% for a PUBLIC university. That is a pretty low acceptance rate, hence, highly selective.

Old 11-10-2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Some interesting facts that I saw on Wikipedia about Hillsdale:

'Black students were admitted immediately after the college's 1844 founding,[7] and the college became the second school in the nation to grant four-year liberal arts degrees to women.'

'Hillsdale's early anti-slavery reputation and pivotal role in founding the Republican Party led to the invitation of several notable speakers on the campus, including Frederick Douglass (who visited the school on two separate occasions) and Edward Everett, the orator preceding Abraham Lincoln at Gettysburg'

Here is Hillsdale's core required classes and I don't see any Bible based courses on it. https://www.hillsdale.edu/academics/...ral-arts-core/

The only religion related one is this: The Western Theological Tradition. I'm pretty sure there are similar courses to that at large state universities and other liberal arts colleges.
Thank you, This is interesting.

Is is a well rounded but very western culture oriented program. Apparently no computer engineering at all though. He would have to find a differnt combination to go here.

The bad grammar in the web page does not help inspire confidence in the college. I am surprised they left that.
("In additional, you’ll chose one course in Fine Arts, one in Western Literature, one in the Social Sciences, and one Center for Constructive Alternatives seminar.")

I am not sure how serious he is about the computer engineering major. It only came up recently. He was frustrated because he does not know what he wants to do for sure, but all the schools insisted he pick a major.

Getting in to Michigan, and getting into Michgian Engineering are two different things. If he gets accepted to the school of engineering, I suspect he will go there. Getting into the engineering school is near impossible. His brother was invited to attend the university and apply to the engineering school after in his second year (which would mean 5-6 years for the BSE I think), but not admitted directly to the engineering school. Brother chose a different school where he was admitted right into engineering (and then changed majors in his third year.).

If it comes down to Michgian other than the engineering school or Hillsdale, that is when it is a closer call.

I think he is looking to get into some sort of music/sound oriented engineering, if he does engineering. He is trying to find a way to turn his love of music and talent into a lucrative and stable career.

He keeps eyeing the possibility of law school. I keep telling him there are two things I do not want him to become: 1. A hipster; 2. a lawyer.

Old 11-10-2017, 11:12 AM

7,284 posts, read 15,301,886 times
I went to Albion in the 90s (pretty centrist, strongly pro-business back then). It's a really good school but the surrounding town has serious issues.

I was on the swim team, and we were amused how Hillsdale had just spent huge money on a new aquatics center, but had not done the basics of making sure the pool met health and safety rules for it. Lovely 3 meter diving board that no one could use because the area under it did not meet minimum legal water depth for that height. But I digress even though there's probably a message about libertarianism and The Real World somewhere in there.

I'd give a look at Hope. Better academic reputation than Hillsdale, IMO, Holland can be a fun town (and GR is a short road trip away) and while right-leaning does not have the dogma that the 'Dale does. I know a number of people who aren't Christian Reformed who were very happy with their educational experience there and were well-positioned for job or grad school after graduation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities