Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 10:13 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,390,618 times

Advertisements

Nobody is forcing any student to attend the college so I don't see how it is an issue. It is a selective college.

Old 11-13-2017, 10:39 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,718,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post

I've seen surveys that indicate a vast majority of liberal arts professors are Democrats. Where is the diversity of thought if that is the case.
Most college professor have graduate degrees. Having a graduate degree is correlated with liberal leanings (not necessarily democrats). Therefore you would expect most college professors to be liberals. So what?

Ideological Gap Widens Between More, Less Educated Adults | Pew Research Center

How does political ideology effect your teaching of physics? Or Spanish? Those are typical liberal arts classes. Maybe in the social sciences realm it is more obvious, but you seem to think that your political ideology defines how you do your job. Suppose you are a mechanic, does how you fix a car change if you are a liberal or conservative? Why does being a liberal or conservative automatically change how all teachers teach all subjects?

As for the OP, what does your child want to major in? Is this school well known for that field? TBH, I have never heard of it one way or the other, which suggests it may not be a great research or science school, but if that is not what your child is interested in, then it doesn't matter.

Old 11-13-2017, 10:41 AM

https://www.hillsdale.edu/admissions-aid/financial-aid/

This is from their website:

'Hillsdale’s cost of attendance is significantly less than other nationally ranked, private liberal arts colleges. We’re proud to be considered a great value. In fact, almost every student receives some form of aid, from scholarships to grants and loans, to student employment. The average aid package awarded in 2015 was $16,700, with $14,300 in gift aid.'

'All of our financial aid packages are made possible by the gifts of hundreds of thousands of generous donors nationwide. Most of these supporters are neither alumni nor parents of graduates; they give because they believe in the need to teach the principles of liberty and independence that Hillsdale has taught and exemplified since its founding.'

Old 11-13-2017, 11:44 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,757,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Large public universities tend to be more... laissez-faire... in the way they have students make course selection. Notice how much more vague University of Michigan's core curriculum is:
When I attended a LPU (admittedly far less competitive than either of these two), I mostly picked my classes by finding the shortest line. Other than a few core classes, the options were pretty broad.

Amusingly (to me anyway) I never took any math past 10th grade in high school (in college I took philosophy (logic) classes that, at higher levels, counted as math); and I never took any science beyond taking the first semester of biology 1 twice during high school. In college I took astronomy at a community college. It involeved a lot of math that I never figured out how to do. I wrote a great paper that was mostly BS and got an A on the paper. Since the grade did not transfer (only the credit), I only needed a C+.

Old 11-13-2017, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
https://www.hillsdale.edu/admissions-aid/financial-aid/

This is from their website:

'Hillsdale’s cost of attendance is significantly less than other nationally ranked, private liberal arts colleges. We’re proud to be considered a great value. In fact, almost every student receives some form of aid, from scholarships to grants and loans, to student employment. The average aid package awarded in 2015 was $16,700, with $14,300 in gift aid.'

'All of our financial aid packages are made possible by the gifts of hundreds of thousands of generous donors nationwide. Most of these supporters are neither alumni nor parents of graduates; they give because they believe in the need to teach the principles of liberty and independence that Hillsdale has taught and exemplified since its founding.'
Here is the problem. Hillside starts at $48,000 (not sure that is an all in number, when my daughter considered the school it was $50,000 all in and that was 8 years ago.)

So, with a $16,700 scholarship, it still costs $31,300 per year. Michigan is $24,000 all in, before any scholarships last time I checked.

You need a $24,000 scholarship and no scholarship from Michigan just to be even. Assuming a student who can get into Hillsdale with a hefty scholarship will get at least some scholarship or grant $ from Michigan - that would put Michigan even further below the cost of Hillsdale with a scholarship.

We are not really looking at money yet though. My approach is for him to figure out where he most wants to go, then try to figure out if it is financially possible. One advantage of Michigan is he could live at home and commute if necessary, or live with Grandpa who is a lot closer. You lose out on the dorm room learning experience, but I am not sure whether that is as important as it was for me in law school. Dorm living mostly seems to teach you haw to drink and how do deal with horrible roommates or neighbors, which is important, but not critical.

Suggestions for out of state schools with good music programs are not really an option. If he were to go out of state, he would hopefully go to UNT which has the best jazz trumpet school out there, or one of the best anyway. The best Midwest school for trumpet is Indiana as far as I can tell. However he does not want to go out of state.

Thank you for the information about Music Engineering. I did not know what that was. I think his skills and interests are more suited to negotiating, planning, or managing in music than sitting in a cubicle calculating numbers and angles. He is a people person.

I do not know why he is interested in computer engineering. Computer games maybe?

Old 11-13-2017, 01:33 PM

10,060 posts, read 7,228,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Here is the problem. Hillside starts at $48,000 (not sure that is an all in number, when my daughter considered the school it was $50,000 all in and that was 8 years ago.)

So, with a $16,700 scholarship, it still costs $31,300 per year. Michigan is $24,000 all in, before any scholarships last time I checked.

You need a $24,000 scholarship and no scholarship from Michigan just to be even. Assuming a student who can get into Hillsdale with a hefty scholarship will get at least some scholarship or grant $ from Michigan - that would put Michigan even further below the cost of Hillsdale with a scholarship.

We are not really looking at money yet though. My approach is for him to figure out where he most wants to go, then try to figure out if it is financially possible. One advantage of Michigan is he could live at home and commute if necessary, or live with Grandpa who is a lot closer. You lose out on the dorm room learning experience, but I am not sure whether that is as important as it was for me in law school. Dorm living mostly seems to teach you haw to drink and how do deal with horrible roommates or neighbors, which is important, but not critical.

Suggestions for out of state schools with good music programs are not really an option. If he were to go out of state, he would hopefully go to UNT which has the best jazz trumpet school out there, or one of the best anyway. The best Midwest school for trumpet is Indiana as far as I can tell. However he does not want to go out of state.

Thank you for the information about Music Engineering. I did not know what that was. I think his skills and interests are more suited to negotiating, planning, or managing in music than sitting in a cubicle calculating numbers and angles. He is a people person.

I do not know why he is interested in computer engineering. Computer games maybe?
I can vouch for UNT having one of the more successful music programs in the country.

My suggestion would be to broaden your search in-state to give your son a few more options. What about the MSU, the U-M branches, other private colleges? Like I said before, I can't imagine that these two extremes are the only choices.

Old 11-13-2017, 02:03 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,820,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Most college professor have graduate degrees. Having a graduate degree is correlated with liberal leanings (not necessarily democrats). Therefore you would expect most college professors to be liberals. So what?
Unless you're talking genuine Bible colleges that rather exist outside the traditional college realm or vocational programs at community colleges, essentially ALL college professors have graduate degrees*. In order to get federal aid money, the school as a whole must be accredited, and if a school wants to offer a program requiring licensing or certification outside the school (think something like nursing) there are additional faculty qualification requirements for a program's graduates to be eligible to apply for that license. I've worked on 'faculty quals' projects at a community college and the only faculty without a master's degree taught things like welding and how to drive an ambulance safely. Outside of vo-tech, it was master's or higher in order to get hired, and that was SACS' rule and not our own.

(*the exception is typically a 'guest professor' who has significant achievement in their field like Jeff Daniels teaching the occasional acting class at Albion or other southern Michigan schools)

Old 11-13-2017, 04:50 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,913,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post

I'm not sure where you're seeing that Hillsdale is $48K. According to their website it's around $37K all-in (tuition, room, board, and fees) - that's actually remarkably cheap for a private institution.

Edit: I have heard Hope College in Holland also has a solid reputation in the Midwest as far as more conservative schools go.

Last edited by strawflower; 11-13-2017 at 05:48 PM..

Old 11-13-2017, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
I can vouch for UNT having one of the more successful music programs in the country.

My suggestion would be to broaden your search in-state to give your son a few more options. What about the MSU, the U-M branches, other private colleges? Like I said before, I can't imagine that these two extremes are the only choices.
He hated MSU. He has been accepted to GVSU, Western, and some others I am not remembering. I assume he is accepted to Wayne since he is already going there. However only Hillsdale seems to be competing for U-M in his interest. He has another three schools to visit. I do not remember which.

Old 11-13-2017, 05:51 PM

I met some people who went to Michigan Tech and they were positive about the university.

Both Michigan and MSU would be way too large for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.