U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2017, 09:34 PM

651 posts, read 685,432 times

Advertisements

Iím completing my final required class this quarter. Yaaaayy! I can graduate with my Masters degree in December. However, if I take 2 more classes (one I can possibly get waived), I can change my concentration to a Management emphasis vs an Analysis concentration. Doing this would put me at a June 2018 graduation. The degree itself would be in Information Systems either way.

On the one hand, I know employers typically donít care about your concentration, just the degree type itself. I am sort of ready to be done, not to mention, additional costs. On the other hand, it does get recorded and since I wouldnít be going for an MBA (unless fully paid for), it would be nice to have the Management concentration conferred with the degree. It may also be handy to pull out later for management positions that may not require an MBA, but some management knowledge/experience. Then again, would it matter?

Still thinking about it... Just wondering if anyone else has done something similar or decided against it before. What were your reasons? Or if you just have an opinion based on what you know, share away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2017, 09:54 AM

5,751 posts, read 3,035,945 times
Unless you have a specific knowledge goal for taking those courses, I'd graduate now and get into the workforce. With the right employer they may well pay for the additional class work or even an MBA for you later.

I'm not against taking more classes for additional learning since I've done that my whole life but about leveraging to get more classes in the future.

Old 11-15-2017, 10:15 AM

790 posts, read 1,872,315 times
I have a Masters degree in Computer Science. Closing in on a decade since receiving the degree, very few people have asked anything remoted related to what concentration I had.

Old 11-15-2017, 04:09 PM

3,961 posts, read 1,590,532 times
You needed to decide: Are you stalling?

Old 11-15-2017, 05:59 PM

651 posts, read 685,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Unless you have a specific knowledge goal for taking those courses, I'd graduate now and get into the workforce. With the right employer they may well pay for the additional class work or even an MBA for you later.

I'm not against taking more classes for additional learning since I've done that my whole life but about leveraging to get more classes in the future.
I appreciate this reminder. Getting employers to pay for school and/or additional classes is ideal. Plus, Iím looking for my next position now and it would be nice to say, yes, I have my Masterís degree, now pay me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by compSciGuy View Post
I have a Masters degree in Computer Science. Closing in on a decade since receiving the degree, very few people have asked anything remoted related to what concentration I had.
This has been my experience as well. I guess a part of wanting to do so is trying to look as strong as possible to employers, but youíre right. No one cares about your concentration. They just ask for a Masterís degree in X field of study. I just had an interview and they wanted to know what I knew relative to the position and how fast could I be done with grad school actually. He was relieved when I told him I can graduate next month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
You needed to decide: Are you stalling?
Not stalling. Just knowing that once Iím done with grad school, I doubt Iíll want to return unless it was for a completely paid for MBA. With the likelihood of that not happening, if I was going to for additional classes, I would want to continue to do so now while my mind is still wrapped around grad school. To be honest, Iím just burned out with school at the moment. Iím just trying not to let my feelings dictate the decision.

Either way, I think Iím done. This was a hard quarter to get through and it was only one class, and not even a difficult one. Definitely burnt out.

Old 11-15-2017, 06:41 PM

1,347 posts, read 555,705 times
Nobody cares about the concentration.

Old 11-15-2017, 08:42 PM

5,751 posts, read 3,035,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangomadness View Post
Either way, I think Iím done. This was a hard quarter to get through and it was only one class, and not even a difficult one. Definitely burnt out.
Don't sweat it. Grad school does that to you. When I finished, it was about five years before I wanted to take another class again, even with work paying for it. I was just worn out from school. Since that time, taking what I want to learn at my own pace, I've probably averaged a class every two years, though sometimes in spurts and then skipping a few years. But I'm now taking classes because I want to learn that particular material, not because it's required for the degree. Funny thing is, every class I've taken that way is something that is useful in my work, more so than the degree curriculum. But no school will consider them for a degree because they are an eclectic mix.

Old 11-19-2017, 08:44 PM

1,268 posts, read 466,238 times
Default Take Your Degree

No need to pursue a concentration. Graduate now. No one cares for concentrations. I have an MBA in Information Systems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or