U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 04:15 AM

2,183 posts, read 1,259,728 times

Advertisements

What would a person with a master in Geography work in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2017, 02:11 PM

9,356 posts, read 15,813,281 times
The first things that come to mind are cartography, and urban planning. Why?

Old 11-20-2017, 03:15 AM

6,308 posts, read 4,774,343 times
Geographic information systems (like GPS), although many GIS majors are specifically called GIS, not geography.

A geography major could also work in real estate.

Old 11-20-2017, 07:13 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,436 posts, read 50,666,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Geographic information systems (like GPS), although many GIS majors are specifically called GIS, not geography.

Surveyor and planner, but that degree alone probably won't get a decent pay job. GIS is becoming more important and with your degree and coursework in GIS, or better yet a GIS certificate would help a lot. Many public agencies, and private industry consulting firms are hiring people to do GIS work, especially airports and utilities.

Old 11-20-2017, 01:35 PM

72,817 posts, read 64,258,962 times
It depends on what your area of concentration within Geography would be, and what your other coursework has been in. International development is one field available some go into. That would be working for non-profits, or for government agencies (or former gov't agences that have become non-profits, after the conservative Congress in the 90's slashed foreign aid). Of course, for that type of career, it's helpful to know a foreign language or two.

Old 11-20-2017, 09:32 PM

7,053 posts, read 8,212,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
Serving fries out of a window.

Old 11-21-2017, 01:06 AM

8,888 posts, read 4,838,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
Anything that involves mapping on Earth or, conceptually, some other world. Even if one is mapping something's vascular system, that is still potentially geography.

Getting more down to the money.........

......a few years ago, INTERPOL was looking for GIS people. I don't see a job specifically calling for that now BUT this one might use GIS:

https://interpol.recruitmentplatform...&mask=interext

Ie, something I pictured for a doctoral was programming something like ARCGIS to predict border penetration points for smuggling. Personally, I would probably approach that by trying to build a psychological cybernetic construct of how smugglers' think (no small task) and then tie it into ARCGIS....but that's just a thought.

One of my classmates went to work for a GIS company. Myself, I don't work in my degree, but my capstone for my MAG was testing a new map technology for SWAT teams responding to a hostage situation.

One word of advice is that while oceanography is potentially also geography, if you want to work in oceanography, then get an oceanography degree. Even if you have a geography degree loaded with oceanography, you still have a geography degree and you won't survive the paper cut session when they start going through applications.

Get the degree for what you want to work in. Learn how to sell yourself for what degree you have.

Old 11-21-2017, 08:53 PM

5,242 posts, read 3,401,717 times
Knowing how to map phenomena is a valuable skill if you can sell it right.

A friend of mine with a geography degree went to work for a company that consulted with retailers on where to place stores. They'd set up cameras and track license plates to determine what intersections affluent people were driving by the most.

That was pre-recession; I don't know what he's doing now, but he made 6 figures doing that at the time. I imagine those tools combined with more sophisticated means of gathering personal data are even more lucrative today.

Old 12-07-2017, 03:38 PM

4,120 posts, read 3,873,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Anything that involves mapping on Earth or, conceptually, some other world...
Yup. I have my masters in Geography, as well as an undergraduate minor in Geography, (major was Computer Science). The masters helped me greatly in my employment career, which was the application of satellite remote sensing imagery to the study of the earth's renewable and non-renewable resources. This was on different research projects at a NASA center. (I am retired now, after a 34-year career 'playing' with satellite images.)

The masters also allowed me to teach at the local community college in the geography department. Did that for thirteen years before I retired.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho and her sub-forums, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 12-09-2017, 01:40 AM

2,826 posts, read 1,902,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post

Friend of mine got this degree (a bachelors only) and has never been able to use it. Seems unlikely he ever will, although it may be premature to say that when he's only 32. Another semi-friend got a Ph. D in geography and is now lecturing at a university, albeit in economics AFAIK
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or