U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-19-2008, 02:13 PM

454 posts, read 1,552,547 times
Default Doctors: OD vs MD

I saw this mentioned in another thread, there are 2 types of "physicians" (for the sake of my question), MD and OD. I recently moved, and there's a local dr. who is an osteopathic (OD)--whereas most doctors in the area are MDs.

What is different about this doctor's background and training, and what is likely to be different about his bedside manner or his choices for treatment? Is there an benefit to seeing an OD for certain issues (is he likely to have a more effective approach, etc)?

What is his background education, this is my #1 question about this..
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 05:13 AM

20,802 posts, read 30,680,900 times
OD's take a more comprehensive approach to the patient. They are trained to look at the whole person more vs just what the 'symptoms' are. Their technical medical training is the same as an MD. You will probably find that an OD will spend more time with you in an appointment.

Old 03-20-2008, 06:22 AM

12,461 posts, read 17,679,887 times
Actually a Doctor of Osteopathy is a D.O. not an O.D. Hopefully this will help you in your search for information.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:59 AM

5,179 posts, read 7,905,996 times
From a practical perspective, there's probably not much difference between the two.

Old 03-22-2008, 01:22 PM

8 posts, read 137,849 times
My Dr., Dr. Merryman at Austin Regional clinic is an OD and he is so smart. More than that, he is head of Austin Regional clinic. Over all the MD's
I think if an OD is all that is available to you, you really can feel safe using one.

Old 03-22-2008, 05:21 PM

355 posts, read 1,773,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
Actually a Doctor of Osteopathy is a D.O. not an O.D. Hopefully this will help you in your search for information.
Thanks for saying that. I was just about to comment on it.

Old 03-22-2008, 09:39 PM

12 posts, read 211,271 times
I was born in an osteopathic hospital and my mother preferred them for medical care when we all were kids. I occasionally see DO's now as an adult. DO's as explained to me evaluate the root causes of disease (the overall condition as explained above). They receive the same training as an MD PLUS several hundred more hours in natural healing, diet, lifestyle and related therapies. They also are trained in manipulation similar to a chiropractor. Some DO's are no different than MD's. Some DO's only heal using their traditional manipulation/natural medicine. Others use a combination of the two. Overall, I find them to be excellent healers in my experience. You may want to read a book by Dr. Fulford, DO. He is in his 90's and still practicing and explains the many effective therapies that DO's are trained in. With all due respect to MD's, I would prefer a DO in most situations, but hey, that's just me.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:42 AM

3,556 posts, read 6,702,617 times
The DO is a better generalist and better at preventative medicine, and would probably be a better choice for your primary care physician. The MD is better at specialized care though that is starting to shift with the new emphasis on primary care in MD education.

Old 03-25-2008, 12:25 PM

41,241 posts, read 43,989,368 times
I see no difference;some are good and some are not so good and some should not be preacticing at all.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:23 PM

1 posts, read 113,313 times
Default DOs are every bit as good at specialized care

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
The DO is a better generalist and better at preventative medicine, and would probably be a better choice for your primary care physician. The MD is better at specialized care though that is starting to shift with the new emphasis on primary care in MD education.
I realize that this is a very old forum/thread, but I just wanted to comment on the above quote from sean98125. DOs (not to be confused with ODs, as established in previous comments here) are just as good, if not better, than MDs at specialized care. Not only do they recieve more medical school training than MDs (also established earlier) but they also must complete the same specialized residency programs side-by-side with MDs and pass the same board certification exams in their specialties as MDs. They also have to keep up with their ostopathic manipulative medicine (OMM) knowledge whether they use it in their practices or not, in order to pass recertification state boards many years after med school and residency (MDs must also pass these exams, but they don't get tested on OMM, so they have it a little easier once again...)
While DO med schools differ slightly from MD schools (in that they teach more than MD schools) the post-graduate training in specialties is exactly the same, so each type of physician is equally qualified in their specialty. Both MDs and DOs can be brain surgeons, heart surgeons, internists, psychiatrists, pediatricians, physiatrists, or any other specialty in all of medicine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities