U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 09:20 PM

1 posts, read 476 times

Advertisements

I'm currently a 21-year-old community college student. I started at university in the Fall of 2015, but things didn't go as planned and I dropped out after one semester. I enrolled at a community college the following fall(2016), and I am now in my second year at that college, with plans to transfer to another university next year. However, I'm kind of self-conscious about my age. I was already old for my grade to begin with(October b-day), but with this recent setback, I would be 1 to 2 years older than my classmates at most universities. I really want to transfer to a university where I won't stand out because of my age. For instance, I'll be turning 22 at the beginning of my junior year and 23 at the beginning of my senior year, and I was wondering if anyone on here knew of a college where it's common to turn 22 during junior year and 23 during senior year. I feel like there has to be one college like that in the USA. Thanks in advance.

Old 11-25-2017, 09:48 PM

1,307 posts, read 642,352 times
You are overthinking this. And worrying too much. If you were talking about a 20 to 30 year difference, you might have a real concern. With a ten year difference, you might feel some pressure, but nothing particularly significant.

Just sign me, "Been there, done that." I went BACK to college 20 years after I started, and I started after a year out from high school. Got a bachelor's in 94, instead of 74.

So chill, no worries. Move forward, and, if necessary, HTFU.

Old 11-25-2017, 09:50 PM

7,291 posts, read 15,316,500 times
Any state university in a bigger city is going to have a lot of students on the six year plan- work full time and put classes around work schedules. If you look at average age of undergrad students at those kinds of ‘commmuter schools’ you are unremarkable in that way

Old 11-25-2017, 11:07 PM

12,718 posts, read 12,120,708 times
Lol, no one is even going to notice, and if they did, care about your age. There is no difference between your age and someone all of a 1-2 years younger.

Old 11-26-2017, 01:23 AM

2,280 posts, read 933,964 times
It's not that uncommon for people to have a rough first go around in college and then go back and give it another try. You certainly aren't the only one in that situation, either

It's also relatively common for working adults to attend college now, so don't worry about being in your early 20's and sitting in classes with people a couple of years younger. There are people in their 30's, 40's, etc. who return to school to obtain degrees later in life to either advance in their field or do a career change.

As others have pointed out, being a year older isn't going to make a difference. If anyone asks you can either politely change the subject, make up some creative story about how you took off time to find yourself, or act like you didn't hear it.

Old 11-26-2017, 02:08 AM

12,718 posts, read 12,120,708 times
Yea, I was in my 30's when I went to college. Had absolutely zero care about the age thing, I was far from the only one that was not fresh out of high school.

Old 11-26-2017, 05:01 AM

10,465 posts, read 2,838,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkleader View Post
I'm currently a 21-year-old community college student. I started at university in the Fall of 2015, but things didn't go as planned and I dropped out after one semester. I enrolled at a community college the following fall(2016), and I am now in my second year at that college, with plans to transfer to another university next year. However, I'm kind of self-conscious about my age. I was already old for my grade to begin with(October b-day), but with this recent setback, I would be 1 to 2 years older than my classmates at most universities. I really want to transfer to a university where I won't stand out because of my age. For instance, I'll be turning 22 at the beginning of my junior year and 23 at the beginning of my senior year, and I was wondering if anyone on here knew of a college where it's common to turn 22 during junior year and 23 during senior year. I feel like there has to be one college like that in the USA. Thanks in advance.
Other than a tiny, very traditional private school, I would say most of them. There's nothing unusual about being a non-traditional student at a large university, and frankly, I don't think being a year or two older than the "average" student even counts as being non-traditional, especially with the growing popularity of the gap year. I turned 21 shortly after the beginning of my senior year, but I was also one of the younger members of my class.

Don't worry about it.

Old 11-26-2017, 08:54 AM

5,784 posts, read 3,056,197 times
Most of the "age difference" happens between freshman and junior year just because of the huge change in maturity that happens. Once beyond that, there really isn't much difference between 20 and 25. People won't even know that you might be a year older than some or a year younger than others. It just really doesn't matter. You'll be fine.

Old 11-26-2017, 12:22 PM

9,364 posts, read 15,836,238 times
It is impossible to measure how much you are over thinking this. There are going to be freshmen older than you. Your age is perfectly within the traditional range and, more importantly, no one is going to know or care.

Old 11-26-2017, 03:14 PM

4,885 posts, read 1,376,350 times
You have nothing to worry about. From your title line, I thought you were going to post that you were 40 or 50 years old.

Believe me, you will look exactly like everyone else. They won't know your age unless you tell them. And if it comes up in conversation, and you feel embarrassed, you can just say vaguely that you took some time off.

What is more worrisome than your age is that you didn't have the attentiveness to come back and respond to the replies here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or