Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 05:58 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times

Advertisements

We make it a point to stop at 55 Exchange every time we go by Clemson. And don't forget the bleu cheese.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 06:50 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
On my personal list, I'd add Young's Dairy, which is right down the road from Antioch College. I dream about that ice cream.

Old 11-30-2017, 06:47 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,358,948 times
I must say, this was touted during my campus visit to UW Madison for grad school, and I agree their in-house ice cream was veery good. Certainly made the decision that much harder. But ended up selecting a school with a tasty in-house frozen custard store (which tasted like rich ice cream).

Additionally, they could also add which college has the best "put your fist in the cow's stomach" prior to sampling the ice cream. Would give the student a deeper, richer experience and appreciation for where their product came from. lol

Who'd thought a southern school like Clemson would have decent campus ice cream. Is is locally made by their Ag school?

Old 11-30-2017, 10:43 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,404,153 times
Why does it surprise you a southern university makes its own ice cream? The south historically is an agricultural area.

The agricultural college has its own creamery.

Old 11-30-2017, 11:33 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,358,948 times
Probably general perception and national marketing.

Dairy and dairy cows, I usually associated with the Midwest, namely Wisconsin and Minnesota. Cheeseheads and Land 'o Lakes butter. And cold weather somehow making for better dairy products. Although I understand CA has more dairy production than either states.

Somehow it was never associated with the South. But now that I live in the region, I realize how many misconceptions I held about so much about the area. And Greenville is a lovely area.

Old 11-30-2017, 01:44 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,937,011 times
I would add Oakland University in Michigan. Not on the campus itself, but the local towns of Royal Oak, Ferndale, and Berklee offer a tremendous variety of locally made Ice Cream and Frozen Yogurt.

Old 11-30-2017, 07:02 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,027,603 times
Smith College. Herrell's.

Dartmouth College. Morano Gelato. (and a 1-1.5 hour drive to the B&J's factory)

Old 12-02-2017, 04:15 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
After touring colleges with my son during the last year (we visited #1, #2, #3, and #8 on the list!), I was struck by how much emphasis was put on the campus ice cream shops during the admission tours. Nearly every school told us they had the best ice cream. I hadn't realized ice cream was of such primary importance to college students. I should maybe start a thread on odd things I found out on college tours...

I remember the Penn State (#2 on the list) tour guide talked for 10 minutes about all their great ice cream shops and how many presidents had eaten ice cream there! And then they ended the tour at the ice cream shop so we could all buy some. Some great ice cream marketing at that campus!

p.s. My son applied to 3 of these top ice cream schools, so maybe the ice cream shop marketing works!
That actually sounds like an entertaining topic!

Yeah...ice cream? I thought the big thing was having the best pizza. My recollection of college was that in the small town where I started out, there were no ice cream shops . The dorm food services didn't even serve ice cream , and only allowed 2 cookies per person for desert at lunch. They actually counted out the number of residents, making just enough cookies for each person to get two. Hmm... come to think of it, after I transferred to a big state school, there still were no ice cream shops, and still aren't any near campus! Ice cream just isn't a thing for a lot of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities