Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2017, 03:42 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephineF View Post
I HAVE another, final exam. my grade so far is 92% after 3 exams. there is another final exam next week. And your logic is flawed at best. It was 50 question, each worth 2%. Since, I got 46 correct that is 92%, if she drops one it would be 46 out of 49 which is 93.87%. UNBELIEVABLE
You are the one who said each question was worth 0.5% of your grade. If that is not the case due to dropped questions that is your misrepresentation. If your grade is percentage based, with 4 exams worth 25% each than you are incorrect that each questions is worth 0.5% each. That would only be true if your teacher didn't drop questions.

Second, you said she already "dropped a question" for another student. Assuming that is actually what your teacher did, your grade on this exam is actually based on 45 correct out of 49, and that is a 91.8 not a 92.

It is very important to get the math exactly correct when you are skating that close to the edge of the grades needed to maintain a scholarship. I would strongly suggest you make sure your understand of the grading scheme is correct as you seem to be confusing percentage weights with points grading. Additionally, you really need to know which decimal points end up on your GPA. A 92 is not the same thing as a 92.0.

Old 12-07-2017, 03:43 PM

146 posts, read 84,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Well, hope you are successful in whatever it is you care to achieve. Your arguments and responses show the fallacies of circular thinking, and I am done wasting my time here.

I'm also very grateful I'm not teaching anymore.

Be thankful you even made it that far to be a teacher.

Old 12-07-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
You are the one who said each question was worth 0.5% of your grade. If that is not the case due to dropped questions that is your misrepresentation. If your grade is percentage based, with 4 exams worth 25% each than you are incorrect that each questions is worth 0.5% each. That would only be true if your teacher didn't drop questions.

Second, you said she already "dropped a question" for another student. Assuming that is actually what your teacher did, your grade on this exam is actually based on 45 correct out of 49, and that is a 91.8 not a 92.

It is very important to get the math exactly correct when you are skating that close to the edge of the grades needed to maintain a scholarship. I would strongly suggest you make sure your understand of the grading scheme is correct as you seem to be confusing percentage weights with points grading. Additionally, you really need to know which decimal points end up on your GPA. A 92 is not the same thing as a 92.0.
Correct, and i said I was around 92%, the exact number doesn't matter as I have final exam to take. 91.8% is not an A, true. But it doesn't mean much if you are missing 25% (final exam). And, as much as scholarship means to me, my argument was not "I need that question dropped because I need scholarship." my argument was: it doesn't make sense, it teaches students wrong information, it is a bad question. I didn't answer it, because I realized it doesn't make sense (all of this was told to the professor, a second i submitted my exam).

Old 12-07-2017, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Correct, and i said I was around 92%, the exact number doesn't matter as I have final exam to take. 91.8% is not an A, true. But it doesn't mean much if you are missing 25% (final exam). And, as much as scholarship means to me, my argument was not "I need that question dropped because I need scholarship." my argument was: it doesn't make sense, it teaches students wrong information, it is a bad question. I didn't answer it, because I realized it doesn't make sense (all of this was told to the professor, a second i submitted my exam).
Math has very specific rules. If your school does not use tenths to calculate GPA than a 91.8 IS a 92.

Second, in your opinion it is a bad question. Not everyones, and not even the dean of your program. Textbooks can be wrong, I teach a college class, our textbook has quite a few mistakes. Even so, your chosen field is one in which there are no hard and fast rules. We are talking about people and disease, sometimes people show symptoms out of line with the average, that is why questions which look for the best of the following are completely fine. In real life, you may have a patient who presents some early symptoms and some late symptoms, and bassed on your own admissions and the reasoning of your teacher, your chosen answer does not fit with the presented illness at all. It may not have been a perfect question, but then again, you don't only get to provide care to patients who present they way things are laid out in your textbook.

Old 12-07-2017, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Math has very specific rules. If your school does not use tenths to calculate GPA than a 91.8 IS a 92.

Second, in your opinion it is a bad question. Not everyones, and not even the dean of your program. Textbooks can be wrong, I teach a college class, our textbook has quite a few mistakes. Even so, your chosen field is one in which there are no hard and fast rules. We are talking about people and disease, sometimes people show symptoms out of line with the average, that is why questions which look for the best of the following are completely fine. In real life, you may have a patient who presents some early symptoms and some late symptoms, and bassed on your own admissions and the reasoning of your teacher, your chosen answer does not fit with the presented illness at all. It may not have been a perfect question, but then again, you don't only get to provide care to patients who present they way things are laid out in your textbook.
That is very true, but NCLEX world and real world are very different (NCLEX is actually very perfect). And I get it, of all the possible answers, somehow, in 1% of the cases, during ischemia it is only possible for parethesia to be present in the last stage, when paralysis and numbness occur... somehow, .. that is most likely, but that is too many of IF and too big of a stretch.

Again, ischemia might be difficult to understand for people who are not in med field.
I would like to hear right answer for this one.

Sign that diagnosed cancer is in its earliest stage:

1. pelting
2. massive methastasis (spread of cancer all over the body)
3. toothache
4. family only visits the patient in the morning

Choose the best answer and submit for grading.
According to your argument, somehow, one day, I will have a patient who just got cancer, and somehow, it spread all over the body right away. Statistically, that is more likely in cancer patients than pelting.

Last edited by josephineF; 12-07-2017 at 04:37 PM..

Old 12-07-2017, 05:29 PM

Quote:
That is very true, but NCLEX world and real world are very different (NCLEX is actually very perfect). And I get it, of all the possible answers, somehow, in 1% of the cases, during ischemia it is only possible for parethesia to be present in the last stage, when paralysis and numbness occur... somehow, .. that is most likely, but that is too many of IF and too big of a stretch.

Again, ischemia might be difficult to understand for people who are not in med field.
I would like to hear right answer for this one.

1. pelting
3. toothache

Choose the best answer and submit for grading.
According to your argument, somehow, one day, I will have a patient who just got cancer, and somehow, it spread all over the body right away. Statistically, that is more likely in cancer patients than pelting.
No someday you will have a patient, and you will not know what stage cancer they are in or even what illness they have at all and knowing which symptoms are associated with cancer, even early or late stage, may make the difference between saving their life or not. Sometimes people present with some symptoms from the early and late stages of a disease. Being able to look at the suite of symptoms and excluding the completely unrelated ones is a much more important skill than memorizing the textbook.

Instead of recognizing the related symptoms in a question, you picked the answer which is from a completely unrelated illness. And instead of focusing on learning that skill, you are focused on proving you are right, and everyone from the professor, dean, here, and elsewhere are all wrong. But which is more important for your patient?

And your teachers are not training you for a test, they are training you to be a nurse.

Old 12-07-2017, 05:55 PM

Quote:
No someday you will have a patient, and you will not know what stage cancer they are in or even what illness they have at all and knowing which symptoms are associated with cancer, even early or late stage, may make the difference between saving their life or not. Sometimes people present with some symptoms from the early and late stages of a disease. Being able to look at the suite of symptoms and excluding the completely unrelated ones is a much more important skill than memorizing the textbook.

Instead of recognizing the related symptoms in a question, you picked the answer which is from a completely unrelated illness. And instead of focusing on learning that skill, you are focused on proving you are right, and everyone from the professor, dean, here, and elsewhere are all wrong. But which is more important for your patient?

And your teachers are not training you for a test, they are training you to be a nurse.

That all sounds nice, and they are all training us to be good nurses, good communicators and blah, blah, and that is all that matters.... but till then, they will take into account every single point, and based on these numbers tell the students they need to leave the program or they are not good enough to get a scholarship. yes, no one gives any scholarship for the quality of care, or for performance or skills.
Our only condition is to get over 75% to stay in the program.

Please, answer my question. I want you to see, how stupid it feels to choose metastasized cancer as stage one.

And if the entire test is mostly based on this topic, it really makes you feel like you haven't studied. Why was I memorizing all signs and symptoms of all four stages, when now I have to play dumb to answer the question.

I guess, subconsciously, i chose an answer that doesn't make sense. In this case, I would probably choose family who visits in the morning, because I don't want to sound ignorant when I say "metastasize is what happens first (ignorant in terms of medical professional).

Old 12-07-2017, 06:39 PM

Quote:
That all sounds nice, and they are all training us to be good nurses, good communicators and blah, blah, and that is all that matters.... but till then, they will take into account every single point, and based on these numbers tell the students they need to leave the program or they are not good enough to get a scholarship. yes, no one gives any scholarship for the quality of care, or for performance or skills.
Our only condition is to get over 75% to stay in the program.

Please, answer my question. I want you to see, how stupid it feels to choose metastasized cancer as stage one.

And if the entire test is mostly based on this topic, it really makes you feel like you haven't studied. Why was I memorizing all signs and symptoms of all four stages, when now I have to play dumb to answer the question.

I guess, subconsciously, i chose an answer that doesn't make sense. In this case, I would probably choose family who visits in the morning, because I don't want to sound ignorant when I say "metastasize is what happens first (ignorant in terms of medical professional).
I think you left something out of your post. You say you want to ask a question, and then never ask one.

"Family who visits in the morning"? What does that even mean?

If you are presenting with symptoms of a disease, would you prefer a nurse who says "you appear to have late stage ischemia but you can't really have any ischemia at all because you still have symptoms from one of the early stages, so instead you must have the hiccups (or any other unrelated disease). I know this to be true because I memorized the textbook."

That doesn't even make sense.

Old 12-07-2017, 06:52 PM

Quote:
I think you left something out of your post. You say you want to ask a question, and then never ask one.

"Family who visits in the morning"? What does that even mean?

If you are presenting with symptoms of a disease, would you prefer a nurse who says "you appear to have late stage ischemia but you can't really have any ischemia at all because you still have symptoms from one of the early stages, so instead you must have the hiccups (or any other unrelated disease). I know this to be true because I memorized the textbook."

That doesn't even make sense.
It means that I would rather chose a question that makes no sense at all, then, as a future nurse, say that metastasis signals the disease just started. Especially, if that disease is what the professor is testing us on.
I mean, yes, my answer might seem even more wrong, dumb, call it whatever you want. It was a decision in a moment. I had no idea what was the best way to go about it. Then, I thought, it makes no sense, I will just challenge it.

Either way, giving points to NURSING students who say metastasis signals the early stage of a disease is unacceptable. My answer should not affect anything, especially if i explained it, right away.

Old 12-07-2017, 06:53 PM

1. pelting
3. toothache

I want you to answer this question. you probably overlooked it in my previous post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities