Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2017, 03:53 PM

146 posts, read 84,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
It seems to me like you have a legitimate case to push for the question that you got wrong to be dropped, or for some of those questions to be added back. Please, continue fighting for your scholarship. Please, fight for what is right, and don't let the other posters in this forum get to you. Good luck.

Thanks Mitsguy, but I have no idea how. Grades have been posted, I already ta;lked to the prof and assistant dean. The only person left is the dean (and she is new, hopefully, not prof's friend). But our break also started today... I don't think I can do anything. It hurts a lot tho.

Old 12-14-2017, 06:12 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,047,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josephineF View Post
Thanks Mitsguy, but I have no idea how. Grades have been posted, I already ta;lked to the prof and assistant dean. The only person left is the dean (and she is new, hopefully, not prof's friend). But our break also started today... I don't think I can do anything. It hurts a lot tho.
Is there a university ombud that you can go to? Or appeal to whoever is in charge of the scholarship. Point out how questions were selectively dropped. And ask for absolute proof that a 91.8 rounds down to a 91 rather than up to a 92. Don’t worry about making enemies at this point since you have nothing left to lose. Good luck.

Old 12-14-2017, 08:19 PM

12,846 posts, read 9,050,725 times
I think the first step is to find and talk to the financial aid/scholarship office. Find out for sure if you've lost the scholarship or not. Unless you know for sure, you may be assuming things at this point. If they rounded up and you still have it, everything is good. If not, then approach the ombudsman to help resolve the issue. Be prepared with facts, not emotion. Having all the facts in order will go a long way toward a decision in your favor. But you may not even have a problem with a 91.8 if the round up.

Old 12-14-2017, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
She lost mine too.
I have no doubt she's worse in person and then expect people to bend over backwards.
I don't see this at all in the OP and I think folks are stretching things a bit. I'm seeing someone who is frustrated about a grade, worried about her scholarship, and then attacked by many on here just fighting back out of frustration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
This is not meant to sound heartless, but it's just fact: as a nurse, you will deal with patients and doctors who are far more difficult, stubborn, and abrasive than this professor, quite possibly on a daily basis. Now is the time to either learn healthy coping skills, or to rethink your career path.

I'm not sure this is comparable. The way I read this, it's not the difficult person so much as the very high impact this person can have the OP. From the story so far, the OP is highly dependent on this grade to keep a scholarship and stay in school. That's a lot more than just dealing with a difficult person. I know from personal experience that dealing with someone who is merely difficult, stubborn, and abrasive is not that difficult vs dealing with someone who is difficult, stubborn, abrasive AND has the power to end your career.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
No one is always right.

Accept this as a learning moment You almost missed your target because YOU answered several other questions incorrectly. Obviously, they were not gray enough to fight about

Several people have brought up about the OP answering other questions incorrectly. While I don't know the OP, for myself, if I messed up questions, then that's my fault and I can deal with that, making whatever changes I need to make -- those are within my control. But if the professor messed up, that's outside my control and I can't do anything to fix it. The OP can take responsibility for her errors. But should not have to take responsibility for the professor's errors.

Old 12-15-2017, 04:10 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,277,441 times
All working adults at some point have to deal with someone difficult, abrasive, and who has the power to end your career.

Old 12-15-2017, 07:53 AM

.... And when you get that person you gripe to your friends at the bar and seek ways around the problem. The OP came here to gripe and was pilloried for it. So why the attacks on her?

Old 12-15-2017, 09:40 AM

Thank you for support. I did everything anyone else would do. I first talked to her. She was nice and then turned into this nasty person and tried to intimidate me. Then she said question is statistically significant and she is not dropping it. What does it mean? That it would affect a lot of people. I agree, but it is still wrong and you can't punish me so that other people don't get hurt.

I went to the assistant dean but that was useless. My student director said it was up to me if I wanna pursue it, he will support me, but I need to decide. After talking to the assistant dean, I gave up. But now, it's been two days and I am still upset and keep thinking about it. I have to work today and I keep how little I am going to make comparing to what I just lost.
I thought of emailing the dean, but not sure I am supposed to bother her with this. Maybe I could reach to student director again.... I dont know how to proceed or if I should proceed.
And yeah, I lost the scholarship, she posted B in my grades and my GPA went down and the amount i have to pay by Jan 3 is full tuition minus federal loan. No scholarship.

Old 12-15-2017, 10:19 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,047,020 times
Quote:
Thank you for support. I did everything anyone else would do. I first talked to her. She was nice and then turned into this nasty person and tried to intimidate me. Then she said question is statistically significant and she is not dropping it. What does it mean? That it would affect a lot of people. I agree, but it is still wrong and you can't punish me so that other people don't get hurt.

I went to the assistant dean but that was useless. My student director said it was up to me if I wanna pursue it, he will support me, but I need to decide. After talking to the assistant dean, I gave up. But now, it's been two days and I am still upset and keep thinking about it. I have to work today and I keep how little I am going to make comparing to what I just lost.
I thought of emailing the dean, but not sure I am supposed to bother her with this. Maybe I could reach to student director again.... I dont know how to proceed or if I should proceed.
And yeah, I lost the scholarship, she posted B in my grades and my GPA went down and the amount i have to pay by Jan 3 is full tuition minus federal loan. No scholarship.
Sorry to hear that. I would keep fighting it; you have nothing to lose at this point. Fight for what is right.

Old 12-15-2017, 10:25 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Quote:
I HAVE another, final exam. my grade so far is 92% after 3 exams. there is another final exam next week. And your logic is flawed at best. It was 50 question, each worth 2%. Since, I got 46 correct that is 92%, if she drops one it would be 46 out of 49 which is 93.87%. UNBELIEVABLE
Quote:
As I said, I will do my best to get close to 100 on my final and hope never to see her again. I still think she is wrong, but she can't admit it because the majority of students chose paresthesia and because she would have to admit she made a mistake (she did admit in front of me, but not in front of other students).
I still believe it is highly unfair, but hey... I will graduate in 8 months and then, either apply to medical school or CRNA school and we might even be coworkers one day.
Quote:
Correct, and i said I was around 92%, the exact number doesn't matter as I have final exam to take. 91.8% is not an A, true. But it doesn't mean much if you are missing 25% (final exam). And, as much as scholarship means to me, my argument was not "I need that question dropped because I need scholarship." my argument was: it doesn't make sense, it teaches students wrong information, it is a bad question. I didn't answer it, because I realized it doesn't make sense (all of this was told to the professor, a second i submitted my exam).

So what happened on the final exam? Guess you got more questions wrong on that too and didn't do well enough to bring your average up to an A?

And yet it is still the professor's fault because of this one question among many questions that you've gotten wrong over the course of this term?

Old 12-15-2017, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
So what happened on the final exam? Guess you got more questions wrong on that too and didn't do well enough to bring your average up to an A?

And yet it is still the professor's fault because of this one question among many questions that you've gotten wrong over the course of this term?

I really am trying not to be mean but you are plain dumb. Without that question i would have had 92.3% and that is more than enough for A. My classmate ended up with 92.0% and got an A. I don't need to have 95% for an A. Yes, I do not have the knowledge for 95 or 100 or 97. But I still have enough for 92.

BTW the classmate with 92% is professor's son (not this professor but one of the faculty members). His complaint was more important than mine, and he deserves an A but i don't?????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities