Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 07:59 AM

361 posts, read 432,079 times

Advertisements

I am truly not worried about the workload anymore, but I love enjoying the holidays and having no responsibilities right now and driving my car again and stuff like that. I have a month left, yet I always think that at the end of next week it’ll be halfway over already. But that’s my issue with every event, that I think about the end and don’t enjoy things as fully as I can if I don’t.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2017, 11:20 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxblue20 View Post
I am truly not worried about the workload anymore, but I love enjoying the holidays and having no responsibilities right now and driving my car again and stuff like that. I have a month left, yet I always think that at the end of next week it’ll be halfway over already. But that’s my issue with every event, that I think about the end and don’t enjoy things as fully as I can if I don’t.
Change your thinking, Correct your 'self-talk' the sooner the better. (trust me... yrs of not sleeping...)

90% of what you worry about
1) Will never happen
2) Will happen anyway
3) Will have a MINOR impact in the BIG picture.
4) Will ZAP your personal health and contributions to life

You WILL pay for this eventually, so nip it while you have the foresight and capability and BEFORE it gets too overwhelming (job loss / marriage failures / destroyed families...)

Not worth it (worrying is no value anyway..., so definitely not worth it)

Much EZr to change your thought life / self-talk.

You can do it TODAY! right now!

Old 12-19-2017, 12:33 PM

11,759 posts, read 14,652,372 times
My wife explained this to our kids when they were in college, and I really think it's true.

This point in your life, where you have completed one semester and you have not yet started the next, is the closest thing to absolute freedom you will ever experience. Every single obligation you had in life up to now has been satisfied. You have nothing else *right now* that you are required to do. Sure, in the future you will be faced with new challenges, but those are in the future. In addition, they are challenges that you chose, so you should be prepared for them. For now enjoy the absolute weightlessness of the time between semesters and don't let your fears of the future ruin it.

Old 12-25-2017, 01:57 PM

4,964 posts, read 2,711,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenHair View Post
"How can I enjoy winter break without worrying about next semester ?"

The answer is easy. Get yourself a girlfriend. Do what comes naturally. You will enjoy your winter break. You will not be thinking about nor worrying about next semester.
Easier said than done.

Old 12-27-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
Easier said than done.
Not only that, but I'm not getting a girlfriend just to have something to focus on. That's truly a ridiculous idea.

Old 12-28-2017, 02:07 PM

2,465 posts, read 2,763,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
My wife explained this to our kids when they were in college, and I really think it's true.

This point in your life, where you have completed one semester and you have not yet started the next, is the closest thing to absolute freedom you will ever experience. Every single obligation you had in life up to now has been satisfied. You have nothing else *right now* that you are required to do. Sure, in the future you will be faced with new challenges, but those are in the future. In addition, they are challenges that you chose, so you should be prepared for them. For now enjoy the absolute weightlessness of the time between semesters and don't let your fears of the future ruin it.
Your wife is a wise woman!

I worked full time thru 3 years college and now grad school. I look back fondly on that one year where I didn't work at all. If only...

I'm going into my final semester of grad school (with many years between undergrad and grad school) and am actually a bit disappointed that there's no "what's next?" with school to the point I've been eyeballing another grad degree.

Old 12-28-2017, 03:48 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
Your wife is a wise woman!

I'm going into my final semester of grad school (with many years between undergrad and grad school) and am actually a bit disappointed that there's no "what's next?" with school to the point I've been eyeballing another grad degree.
so typical, so American...(only in USA)

Keep the 'day job', I hope it is somewhat related to one of your degrees!

I would have enjoyed staying in school 'forever'... and many do!

it is the 'picnic / smorgasbord of life.

enjoy it while it lasts (hopefully forever!)

or... consider the 'girlfriend' thing! (interesting diversion, might become permanent)

Old 12-28-2017, 06:24 PM

Sorry to start a new subtopic, but I'm starting to realize that I probably truly love home more than school. I love the friends I've made at school and the location as well, but I do not like living with 6 other people as an introvert and being away from my parents, car and hometown friends. I generally get used to it very quickly and enjoy all my classes, etc, but I know going back will be very depressing at first, and I will get used to it, but the first few hours after my father drops me off and I'm back to living with 6 other people I hardly know after being in my own room for a month will be tough. I've gotta live in the present though. When I transferred schools I had the option of living at home and going somewhere 10 mins from my house, but I sacrificed that opportunity due to how much better my current school is and the fact that I needed to gain independence. I would not mind commuting in the least bit though, I would probably love it actually. Meanwhile I love my school and the location also, I guess I just get disoriented going back and forth all the time like I do.

Old 12-29-2017, 07:20 AM

2,465 posts, read 2,763,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
so typical, so American...(only in USA)

Keep the 'day job', I hope it is somewhat related to one of your degrees!

I would have enjoyed staying in school 'forever'... and many do!

it is the 'picnic / smorgasbord of life.

enjoy it while it lasts (hopefully forever!)

or... consider the 'girlfriend' thing! (interesting diversion, might become permanent)
I have 100% tuition reimbursement through my employer and neither degree is related to my job. They don't question what you decide to study nor do they cap how much you can "spend". So, to continue on "forever" is not completely unfeasible for me.

Old 12-29-2017, 08:40 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,257,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxblue20 View Post
Sorry to start a new subtopic, but I'm starting to realize that I probably truly love home more than school. I love the friends I've made at school and the location as well, but I do not like living with 6 other people as an introvert and being away from my parents, car and hometown friends. I generally get used to it very quickly and enjoy all my classes, etc, but I know going back will be very depressing at first, and I will get used to it, but the first few hours after my father drops me off and I'm back to living with 6 other people I hardly know after being in my own room for a month will be tough. I've gotta live in the present though. When I transferred schools I had the option of living at home and going somewhere 10 mins from my house, but I sacrificed that opportunity due to how much better my current school is and the fact that I needed to gain independence. I would not mind commuting in the least bit though, I would probably love it actually. Meanwhile I love my school and the location also, I guess I just get disoriented going back and forth all the time like I do.
If you know that you need to gain independence and made the mature choice to live, again, at college for your sophomore year in order to do so - stick to it.

Where your college is you really don't need a car, do you? My friend's daughter is a freshman at the same college & she will not have a car the 4 years she is there.

How often do you go back and forth to home? A lot?

First semester is over, see if you can get a single or a double next year. If you really can't handle being away from home, move home & commute somewhere else. No reason to be miserable beyond belief for the next two years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities