Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 11:35 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,047,020 times

Advertisements

In college, basically everything came naturally to me, so I spent minimal time studying. But in the real world, you are expected to put hours in. I think that is perhaps why my college experience was so different from others here. I was used to having a lot of free time in college, so the real world is hard for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2017, 11:38 AM

3,564 posts, read 1,922,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boran2 View Post
When it comes to social life, can anything that comes after compare to the fun factor college offers?
Yes.
You choose to live your life how you want

Old 12-28-2017, 11:41 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
How many hours per week did you work as a biologist, and how long was your commute? Were you working fixed hours or flexible hours?

Those things varied wildly over my 20s depending on the job and what state I lived in. I never really had what is now called "flexible" hours though. I don't see that as relevant. You seem, for some reason, to think if people weren't working ungodly hours that prevented them from having a social life that they weren't in professional jobs. Nothing could be further from the truth. It is a choice.

Old 12-28-2017, 12:26 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
Quote:
Meeting a lot of new people, enjoying fun activities with them, having stories to tell years later about the fun, having a big social circle, and all of those things.

Can anything that comes after college compare or compete with the kind of social life a big d1 public school can offer?
Not everyone has this experience while in college. There are a host of issues (financial, family, mental health, etc.) that prevent a significant number of students from having what is perceived as a stereotypical "normal" college experience.

Old 12-28-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Those things varied wildly over my 20s depending on the job and what state I lived in. I never really had what is now called "flexible" hours though. I don't see that as relevant. You seem, for some reason, to think if people weren't working ungodly hours that prevented them from having a social life that they weren't in professional jobs. Nothing could be further from the truth. It is a choice.
That is great that you had the choice. Not all of us have a choice, which is why for some of us, college gave us more free time than the real world. If you have a choice, like you do, then you can have a better experience in the real world.

Old 12-28-2017, 02:40 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,050,725 times
Quote:
But those of us in "professional" fields spent our 20s working and having no free time.

I've been a professional as well. Physicist/Aerospace Engineer 35 years. But I too had more time in my 20s to enjoy myself that either while in college or later in life. My typical work week during that time was 50-60 hours with surges to 7 days a week at times. But, when I was off, I was off. My time was my own to do as I wanted. Once I got married and had kids, then the work hours remained the same, but now my time was theirs.

I suspect much of the difference is you seemed to have an easy time in college. Most of us work our tails off doing homework and projects. Wasn't uncommon for me or my friends to be doing studying or homework past midnight and up again for an eight o'clock class.

Old 12-28-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I've been a professional as well. Physicist/Aerospace Engineer 35 years. But I too had more time in my 20s to enjoy myself that either while in college or later in life. My typical work week during that time was 50-60 hours with surges to 7 days a week at times. But, when I was off, I was off. My time was my own to do as I wanted. Once I got married and had kids, then the work hours remained the same, but now my time was theirs.
How did you have less free time in college than what you described in the real world? Or were you working while going to college?

Old 12-28-2017, 03:38 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,092,842 times
Quote:
Meeting a lot of new people, enjoying fun activities with them, having stories to tell years later about the fun, having a big social circle, and all of those things.

Can anything that comes after college compare or compete with the kind of social life a big d1 public school can offer?
Most of those persons are 18-21 years old though, and are in a lot of cases, even though they cannot see it ... very, very immature.

I was borderline ignorant, racist, sexist, neurotic, pretentious. And I was never that shallow, but a lot of my friends were really, really shallow towards the opposite sex. It's par for the course at that age. I can still remember a lot of really dumb stuff me and my friends used to say.

I can see it now, double the years later.

I realize there are some very mature college students, but many are not. Late 20s and 30s was more fun. I had a much better grasp of the 'real me' and I had money to go out and do things and people are more mature.

Also, as fun as it is to cut class, smoke pot and play video games in a rented apartment on your parents' dime, it's pretty darn irresponsible. Though that part of college was fun for me, I wouldn't let my kids do that (don't have any).

All in all, it was a lot of fun, but in retrospect I'd rather have those years back to really figure out what I could enjoy doing as a career.

Last edited by jobaba; 12-28-2017 at 03:46 PM..

Old 12-28-2017, 11:21 PM

39 posts, read 57,839 times
I speak as someone who had a terrible college experience but for all the people in here that say the 20s are fun and great, while I do agree to some extent, what I do wonder is in the real world how do you replicate the environment where you are around a lot of people who are:

1. On the younger end of life

2. Not tied down with kids and marriage

3. Want to have fun

4. Want to make new friends

I found kids at my university to be very snotty and stuck up so making friends was not easy. The frat you were in had a big impact on how cool people saw you as and I was stressed out as well.

Looking back at it though, what depresses me is knowing that I won't get that chance to be around a large volume of people in their 20s who are single, looking to make new friends, party, and have fun in life.

What I missed the most about college is being a part of a clique or large social circle, you don't get a chance for that kind of a community once you're done with college.

Old 12-29-2017, 06:30 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
That is great that you had the choice. Not all of us have a choice, which is why for some of us, college gave us more free time than the real world. If you have a choice, like you do, then you can have a better experience in the real world.

Everyone has a choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities