U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 02:56 AM

2,121 posts, read 738,478 times

Advertisements

The problem with Finance is a good number of Finance majors end up working for banks (unless you graduate from a one of the top-ranked business schools), where the pay is notoriously low. HR is a very good field; if you're willing to pay your dues by working hard and by getting involved in a leadership role in SHRM, you can make very good money in HR, but I doubt the 1 mil. number. Since you have experience in sales, and provided you like the area, I would go the Marketing route.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2018, 03:04 AM

9,870 posts, read 8,050,906 times
Finance or marketing would be my choices.

Old 01-03-2018, 08:09 PM

4,726 posts, read 5,873,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
VP's of HR making $1 million a year - where?!? Makes it sound like this is common Maybe Goggle or Apple. HR adds nothing to the bottom line so VP of HR making $1M per year is very rare. Smart businesses don't hand out $1M salaries unless you really contribute to the bottom line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
I don't know where there are VP's of HR making $1 million as that is a pipe dream. I doubt the top HR people at amazon, google, apple or microsoft are making that kind of money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
HR is a very good field; if you're willing to pay your dues by working hard and by getting involved in a leadership role in SHRM, you can make very good money in HR, but I doubt the 1 mil. number. Since you have experience in sales, and provided you like the area, I would go the Marketing route.
I was wrong about the $1M salary. If you scroll down in this article, you will see that the Senior VP for human resources at UPMC made $2,120,920 in 2011. From other articles, it looks like a good portion of his compensation is bonus, and it has varied every year since then. In some years he has been under $2M.

Old 01-03-2018, 11:28 PM

4,561 posts, read 8,055,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I was wrong about the $1M salary. If you scroll down in this article, you will see that the Senior VP for human resources at UPMC made $2,120,920 in 2011. From other articles, it looks like a good portion of his compensation is bonus, and it has varied every year since then. In some years he has been under $2M.
Yeah, there are sure to be some one offs out there. Here is the realistic picture of what you can top out at in the HR field...The average in the United States.

#1 Chief HR Officer/Vice President of Human Resources
Average annual salary: $214, 427

Here are the HR Elite Salaries...

http://magdata.lrp.com/MAGDATA/servl...03.HRElite.pdf

Old 01-04-2018, 10:53 AM

4,354 posts, read 4,451,671 times
Quote:
Yeah, there are sure to be some one offs out there. Here is the realistic picture of what you can top out at in the HR field...The average in the United States.

#1 Chief HR Officer/Vice President of Human Resources
Average annual salary: $214, 427

Here are the HR Elite Salaries...

http://magdata.lrp.com/MAGDATA/servl...03.HRElite.pdf
Yeah I used to work in the analytics side of HR in a fortune 50 company and I reported directly to a VP. He made good money, but nowhere near 1 million. Probably after bonus and equity he pulled in 3-400k. I'd be curious to know where VPs in HR are making over a million.

Old 01-04-2018, 09:50 PM

15 posts, read 5,093 times
Quote:
I have an undergrad in finance and a masters in HR. I hold the two highest HR certifications and work as an HR Director. I would not change a thing other than to have not bothered with the finance degree to begin with. I enjoy HR much better than I do finance, however, finance is important and probably has added value in my career.
I don't know where there are VP's of HR making $1 million as that is a pipe dream. I doubt the top HR people at amazon, google, apple or microsoft are making that kind of money.
You can make decent money if you don't mind being in the upper middle class. If you want to be upper class HR probably isn't the career to pick.
So an HR degree IS useful and a good degree to have right?
Okay thank you sir, I have made up my mind and taking Marketing as 1st option and HR as 2nd option. The application requires me to have 2 options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
The problem with Finance is a good number of Finance majors end up working for banks (unless you graduate from a one of the top-ranked business schools), where the pay is notoriously low. HR is a very good field; if you're willing to pay your dues by working hard and by getting involved in a leadership role in SHRM, you can make very good money in HR, but I doubt the 1 mil. number. Since you have experience in sales, and provided you like the area, I would go the Marketing route.
Thanks, I was getting doubtful when someone else pointed out I wont be learning much in Marketing. It's good to get your opinion. Thanks!

Old 01-07-2018, 11:27 AM

12,802 posts, read 9,519,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkat.vs.marsbar View Post
I don't have any background nor knowledge in Finance. Maybe some maths from high school but that's it. I just worry I won't be able to pass some of the subjects.
In general, finance at the undergraduate degree level can be divided into two subfields:

* Investments/Capital Markets and
* Corporate Finance.

Investments/capital markets concerns (i) the pricing/valuation of financial instruments, including corporate, fixed income, and derivative securities, (ii) investment strategies, including performance evaluation and portfolio theory, and (iii) the workings of capital markets, including the various participants in these markets, their roles, and the regulatory environment.

Corporate finance concerns (i) corporate financial decision-making, including value creation, corporate governance, and agency issues and (ii) the markets for corporate claims and corporate control, including the role of financial intermediaries.

You will definitely need to master some mathematics. You'll probably need a year-long sequence in Calculus, and you'll need to master at least a 1-year sequence in statistics & probability. Some basic programming skills are helpful, as you'll probably learn finance in the context of analyzing real data with a programming language such as R.

I don't know much about Real Estate Finance, but I believe it is a bit specialized. I'm not sure about how much math is required; perhaps someone else can chime in.

Old 01-10-2018, 09:29 AM

2,953 posts, read 1,407,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkat.vs.marsbar View Post
I'm not qualified to take Masters yet, as I only have matriculation certificate.

Will Marketing degree helps my sales career, or it wont have any effect whatsoever?

I don't have any background nor knowledge in Finance. Maybe some maths from high school but that's it. I just worry I won't be able to pass some of the subjects.
You'll learn a lot in Marketing, Sales is just a small part of it. I used to teach marketing as a adjunct at a few university's.
If your comment about not learning anything by taking marketing was pointed at what I stated. Your perception was way off, that is not even near what I stated.

Sales is a tiny fraction of marketing. Marketing might help you understand all there is behind how you get to sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
This is a NOT FOR PROFIT hospital and he's making that kind of money. They need to be investigated by the state or feds. Shame on them. Somebody call the local TV station in that area and report how this not for profit is wasting its money. I'll bet the donors would like to know this. Think of how many people could of been helped with their illness on that kind of money.

That was a gift not cause of his abilities. HR adds NOTHING to the bottom line, they are and always will be an expense.

Now he can kiss this salary god bye with the new change in the tax laws. Which is even the highest exec now can't make more that $1 million per year in a non or not for profit endeavor.

Old 01-10-2018, 11:52 AM

4,726 posts, read 5,873,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
This is a NOT FOR PROFIT hospital and he's making that kind of money. They need to be investigated by the state or feds. Shame on them. Somebody call the local TV station in that area and report how this not for profit is wasting its money. I'll bet the donors would like to know this. Think of how many people could of been helped with their illness on that kind of money.

That was a gift not cause of his abilities. HR adds NOTHING to the bottom line, they are and always will be an expense.

Now he can kiss this salary god bye with the new change in the tax laws. Which is even the highest exec now can't make more that $1 million per year in a non or not for profit endeavor.
Well UPMC had 31 people making at least $1 million in FY 2016, including 17 physicians and 14 executives. Their CEO made almost $7M.

See CEO Romoff

Regarding changes in the tax laws, the government can't tell organizations what they can pay and the new tax law doesn't. The government can impose additional taxes and that is what the new tax law does. It imposes a new 21% excise tax on nonprofits that pay compensation of $1 million or more to any of their five highest-paid employees.Some of the UPMC employees making over $1M would be exempt. For purposes of determining whether an individual is a covered employee, remuneration paid to a licensed medical professional (including doctors, nurses and veterinarians) that is directly related to the performance of medical or veterinary services by such professional, is not considered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or