Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 05:57 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,149,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatomicbomb90 View Post
I'm happy with a 2. something GPA if that helps. I'm not interested in the material itself at all. It's just fluff to get a better leg up at the next promotion. all my co workers have one, but they got it before they were hired. I'm can't afford to give up my salary.
If you don’t have a tech background and no evidence of previous success in CS or even programming what makes you think you would get accepted? I have a PhD in another field and work in data science and I looked into that program for a cheap way to learn about Comp Sci from a great institution. I went to a what are my chances post on the OMCS subreddit and they just said they were decent.

Plus like L210 said I’ve heard it’s a difficult program. So I’m not sure someone that sees the material as fluff to get to the next promotion would be successful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2018, 11:17 PM

174 posts, read 112,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
If you don’t have a tech background and no evidence of previous success in CS or even programming what makes you think you would get accepted? I have a PhD in another field and work in data science and I looked into that program for a cheap way to learn about Comp Sci from a great institution. I went to a what are my chances post on the OMCS subreddit and they just said they were decent.

Plus like L210 said I’ve heard it’s a difficult program. So I’m not sure someone that sees the material as fluff to get to the next promotion would be successful.

I majored in computer science in undergrad with a 3.5 from a respected school. I work as a software engineer (3 years in May) and am development lead. I have plenty of success in CS and programming. I would be a prime candidate.

I know from my cs degree, most of my classes were irrelevant to what I do today, as a professional. I'm not looking forward to giving up my free time after work to get another tool in my toolbox. getting the CHFC was hard enough, and that was literal fluff.

Old 01-04-2018, 11:36 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,804,524 times
If you are looking for fluff, go somewhere else. Ga Tech is not for you.

Old 01-05-2018, 06:36 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,149,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatomicbomb90 View Post
I majored in computer science in undergrad with a 3.5 from a respected school. I work as a software engineer (3 years in May) and am development lead. I have plenty of success in CS and programming. I would be a prime candidate.

I know from my cs degree, most of my classes were irrelevant to what I do today, as a professional. I'm not looking forward to giving up my free time after work to get another tool in my toolbox. getting the CHFC was hard enough, and that was literal fluff.
Ah I read that you avoided tech as an undergrad and thought you meant the area of study.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:47 AM

1,186 posts, read 961,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
I know someone who attempted the online Georgia Tech program. He has a full-time job. He had to drop out because the courses required more time than he had. It's a difficult program, but you get a very cheap degree from a top 10 computer science program.
It's a good program, but highly competitive due to the affordability. Even though I've been working as a programmer for the past 5+ years, I was rejected due to lack of an undergrad degree in Comp Sci (I majored in a non-related field). Per their feedback, I've since taken a bunch of pre-requisite courses in Comp Sci fundamentals and am re-applying again in the Fall in hopes this will suffice along with my various programming projects and sufficient work experience in the field. Additionally, I since completed Udacity's AI program (more out of personal interest than anything) but at least have some decent github projects to show for it.

However, that said, there are people with PhDs applying, so I'm trying to remain positive.

To the OP, I would say go ahead and apply, especially since you have the correct pre-requisite undergrad credentials. The courses are definitely rigorous, but I think it's a great affordable way to get a solid education without the high price tag. There are some other good online alternatives out there (such as U of Illinois Urbana) but at a slightly higher cost.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:56 AM

50,178 posts, read 63,623,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Western Governors University has MBA and tech masters programs. It’s all online and some people have finished them in 18 months or so. You go at your own pace and do the work whenever you want. I think it’s around 6K per year and they don’t charge more if you accelerate.
My son finished his BA at WGU, and he thought it was a great program.

Old 01-06-2018, 06:47 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,705,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
My son finished his BA at WGU, and he thought it was a great program.
I’m in the marketing management BA program and I’m enjoying it. The flexibility is great!

Old 01-08-2018, 08:48 AM

30,707 posts, read 79,581,771 times
My wife got a masters of library science (information systems) from Kent State University online. They had a stringent program designed to make up for the lack of presence. Classes were real time and you got called on by the professor. Student discussion sessions were mandatory and were reviewed and graded by the professor. This replaces the lost outside the classroom interaction. There were a lot of papers and tests as well as a practical thesis requirement. (You had to build a program of some sort and run it and then write it up - an it could not be at a library where you already worked - you had to volunteer at another library).

It was definitely not easy. No idea whether it was harder or easier than an on campus masters. It was somewhat flexible in that most of the classes were in the evening and on weekends. However she was often rushing home form work to jump on the computer and then staying on for her classes until 8 p.m. then doing a couple of hours of homework. During that time, work and classes/classwork were probably 80 - 90% of her time. I think it took her about 4 years to complete the program, but I may not be remembering that correctly. It might have been 3 years or 5 years. Seemed like forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities