U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2018, 10:03 AM

5,016 posts, read 4,826,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatomicbomb90 View Post
psychology is a stem degree that doesn't pay well. stem isn't the answer!
The title is not well related to your comment in your OP.

People don't get paid for the degrees they earn. They are paid for the work they do. People who've earned psych degrees are both - paid well and not paid well. Depending on what they do and how well they do it.

You are confusing and confounding a career with academics.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 10:13 AM

6,762 posts, read 9,742,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnicker3 View Post
Psychology is a STEM subject. Psychology is a science and applies to the "S" in STEM.

As a degree, most don't define it as a STEM subject, because Psychology degrees generally lead to social career paths (e.g. Social Workers, Counselors). It is also uniquely not a STEM degree because it generally requires further education (e.g. MSW, Psy. D) in order to start a professional career. This characteristic is not generally true for engineers, computer programmers, etc.

All being said, it is a great career field for driven as much as engineer. What has soured the degree is the sheer number of people attaining the degree, but then not using it for its intended purpose. It is also perceived as being easy, which is not necessarily true, yet the stereotype persists.
The social sciences and natural sciences are similar in that they often require a graduate degree to really get going. However, that doesn't mean you can't get a lower-level job with just a bachelors. People with undergraduate degrees in psychology can work in UX/UI (this is an IT field), as research technicians, in human resources, as community supervision officers, substance abuse counselors (most states require an associates or bachelors), caseworkers, statisticians, etc.

Old 01-11-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
People with undergraduate degrees in psychology can work in UX/UI (this is an IT field), as research technicians, in human resources, as community supervision officers, substance abuse counselors (most states require an associates or bachelors), caseworkers, statisticians, etc.
Exactly. when I came out of undergrad many years ago with my psych degree my first job was in marketing research.

Old 01-12-2018, 08:46 AM

2,633 posts, read 4,391,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
You are confusing and confounding a career with academics.
Conflating, also.

Old 01-13-2018, 10:30 PM

2,820 posts, read 3,061,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Exactly. when I came out of undergrad many years ago with my psych degree my first job was in marketing research.
I work for a large, F500 corporation and a good number (I’d say at least 30%) of our HR and market research folks have psychology degrees. These are very stable, well-paying careers. You don’t necessarily have to work in mental health/counseling/social services etc. to make use of a psych degree.

Old 01-14-2018, 03:41 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,334,463 times
Quote:
I don't think psychology by itself is a sure fire shot to a great job.
I'm not sure what your OP has to do with your thread title.

Old 01-14-2018, 06:51 PM

6,433 posts, read 2,340,871 times
Quote:
I don't think psychology by itself is a sure fire shot to a great job.
It frequently makes the list of "worst college majors" in terms of getting a well paying job after graduation.

Old 01-14-2018, 07:03 PM

20,168 posts, read 34,480,827 times
Only for understanding the brain stem.

Old 01-15-2018, 04:01 AM

40 posts, read 20,510 times
One of the few majors worse than English.

Old 01-15-2018, 12:25 PM

Oy...all these people thinking that psych is worse than English or History or whatever. They’d think any Humanities degree is for suckers. They’re all unfortunately misunderstanding the benefit of a college education. This happened when people started believing that anyone with a college degree can get a good job. I was a victim of this thinking too. I now know better.

People, college is not a 4 yr. job placement program. It’s not a temp agency or a headhunter. It’s to enrich yourself, find yourself a bit, learn critical thinking, grow up, etc. if you consider college as a job placement agency, many will be disappointed and disillusioned. The idea is to better prepare you for adulthood, which in part includes a career so college is tangential to a good career rather than guaranteeing one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities