Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 08:51 PM

820 posts, read 972,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
My earlier post stands. Either choose to take a break, and get that simplicity-but no progress-back, or go for the gusto and be unhappy now but confident you are setting yourself up for a better life late.

For what it’s worth, I left a more rigorous/good school very early. It just wasn’t for me at that time. I went to a state school, near home. For ME, fantastic choice at the time-but now that I’m much older, I live nowhere near home and want nothing to do with those people. I sometimes wonder ‘what if’, but you get one ride and it’s worked out well for me.
My parents always said that if i decided I wanted to live at home they would have no problem with it, but they do think it would be a huge mistake for me. At my school however, several people move off campus after freshman/sophomore year. My roommates are also loud, drunk all the time and always have people over. So the suite is chaos most of the time. I feel like next year, more than likely living with my friend, will be so much better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 09:04 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
My earlier post stands. ...
For what it’s worth, I left a more rigorous/good school very early. It just wasn’t for me at that time. I went to a state school, near home. For ME, fantastic choice at the time-but now that I’m much older, I live nowhere near home and want nothing to do with those people. I sometimes wonder ‘what if’, but you get one ride and it’s worked out well for me.
you get one ride and it’s worked out well for me.

Perfect...

Carry on!

And be very grateful you are not in a foreign land being shot at!

but now that I’m much older, I live nowhere near home

Wonderful to hear. We thought you were first yr... age 17

Time to embrace your 'much-older'age' !

Best wishes, you can do it!

Old 01-10-2018, 10:55 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
7 roommates?! The only place I've ever known to cluster 5-7 people to a dorm room is Russia, Romania and Bulgaria. OP, what are the options for living off-campus with a bunch of friends in a shared apartment or house, where everyone gets their own room? Can you do a cost-feasibility study? Are there separate dorms for upper classmen, that you can "graduate" to, for your junior years? investigate all possibilities. See if any of your college friends would be up for sharing a place. That could be fun. But beware: you guys would have to be responsible for the cleaning and utilities. You'd have to divvy up the responsibilities, like grown-ups, be considerate of each others' study time & quiet time, etc.

I think you should stay at, or near, the college. That commute time from home would eat up 1-1/2 hr./day of your study time. You'll need that time in your last two years; the work will be more demanding, you'll need to run to the library more often, etc. Plus there are those cool clubs you said you were in; stick with those. You're making a transition away from home, gradually, out into the world. Transitioning back to the home isn't an option. Look forward in life, not back.

Old 01-10-2018, 11:02 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxblue100 View Post
Thanks for the vagueness, but I guess it makes sense. I was hoping for a more informative answer, especially due to your username, but whatever.
Really, what are you expecting, re: responses.

You've already identified how you're planning to proactively approach the situation...by ensuring that you have housing you're more amenable to next year. That seems to make the most sense. Swapping out housing situations midyear is generally more disruptive than its worth in most circumstances, IMO. But you can always check with residential life about v transferring to a single. It won't help recreate high school, though. Nothing will.

Old 01-11-2018, 04:23 AM

953 posts, read 842,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
I have no good answers for you other than it sounds like you're just going to have to try to suck it up & adjust (however slowly or quickly you can manage) like you did after a full summer of living at home.

There aren't that many weeks left in the school year & you'll have Spring Break/Easter Recess in March.

You should probably seriously consider just living at home and commuting for your Jr. & Sr. years.
Quote:
Thanks for the vagueness, but I guess it makes sense. I was hoping for a more informative answer, especially due to your username, but whatever.
Just because a member's name is Informed Info does not mean that answers to a wide range of questions and problems are forthcoming. If another person chooses the user name Einstein's Brain, the same would apply. As a college student, hopefully you will come to appreciate the fact that the degree of knowledge and insight possessed by individuals is, shall we say, a matter of relativity.

Old 01-11-2018, 05:09 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,321,790 times
Be glad you didn't join the Army if living with a bunch of other people is distressing to you.

Old 01-11-2018, 05:24 AM

666 posts, read 643,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
you get one ride and it’s worked out well for me.

Perfect...

Carry on!

And be very grateful you are not in a foreign land being shot at!

but now that I’m much older, I live nowhere near home

Wonderful to hear. We thought you were first yr... age 17

Time to embrace your 'much-older'age' !

Best wishes, you can do it!
Did you think you were responding to the OP?

Old 01-11-2018, 05:35 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,940,699 times
How the hell do you have seven roommates in a dorm?! There's no solution here other than put on your big boy (or girl) panties and deal with it or get your own room if you can afford it. Dorm living sucks, but sometimes you just have to grin and bear it.

Old 01-11-2018, 05:40 AM

2,157 posts, read 1,443,499 times
Quote:
I am currently a sophomore in college and am heading back to school for my second semester this coming Wednesday. I am excited to have a routine and start my new classes, but I am not excited to return to the dorms. My college is 45 mins away, so I can come home whenever I want, but I generally keep it to one weekend a month. I have a great group of friends at college and even transferred here midway through freshman year and love my decision to transfer, but no matter where I go to college, it just doesn't come close to the comfort of home. It does not help that I have 7 roommates that I barely know and are older than me and am also an introvert with this living situation and value my private time which I don't get. I hang out with my friends very often at school and am in a few great clubs, but while I am having fun with my activities, I always think to myself how great it would be after everything is over for the day to go home and sleep in my own bed with my own TV and everything. Sleeping in my bed in my suite is just not the same. I also have a great group of high school friends that I hang out with at home all the time, and even though I love my college friends, I prefer hanging out with the high school group. They are more fun and more laid back than my college friends. If it helps, the high school friends all live at different colleges as well. I also love the area my college is in, however, I still do wish I was home, especially on Friday and Saturday nights. I have had a great month at home, which puts me in a comfortable rut that is very hard to get out of. On the way back to my old college after last winter break (I transferred in April), my dad and I stopped for dinner and I couldn't even eat my meal because of how stressed/anxious I was about returning. This time, I do not feel dread but just sadness and could easily stay at home another month and/or commute. Next year, I am more than likely living with just one friend in an off-campus, non-university apartment, which I'm sure I'll feel more at home in, but for some reason, dorming is just not my thing. I could easily commute to this school (45 mins wouldn't bother me, I enjoy driving), but I am living there because my parents don't want me making that commute and because I knew living there, at least for the first year/year and a half, would help me make more friends, and it has. If I don't live off campus with my friend next year, I'd like to commute, and I definitely want to highly consider commuting for my senior year. So anyway, how do I adjust to going back next week? I love this school and know I will be fine, but my main hunch is it gets overwhelming being around so many people all the time when I enjoy my social time but want to return to a solitary environment and I do miss the little things such as watching football with my dad and driving my car.
Well it is a brief time in the scheme of things. It is probably good for you to be exposed to all these people and craziness for a brief year or two. Soon it will be over, and you will live in an apartment somewhere with a roommate, and then like many people that roommate may be gone and you will be living alone if that is how you want it.
Not everybody is cut out for being all that social. Personally I enjoyed the dorms at the time, I even became an RA. Decades later, I don't know how I put up with having no personal space, and a roommate practically right on top of me. There probably are 'single dorms' where you can bed solo, which for some is a good alternative. You will likely never have a crowded living situation like this again, so try to get what you can out of it, despite it not being your cup of tea is what I'd say.

Old 01-11-2018, 08:17 AM

820 posts, read 972,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
7 roommates?! The only place I've ever known to cluster 5-7 people to a dorm room is Russia, Romania and Bulgaria. OP, what are the options for living off-campus with a bunch of friends in a shared apartment or house, where everyone gets their own room? Can you do a cost-feasibility study? Are there separate dorms for upper classmen, that you can "graduate" to, for your junior years? investigate all possibilities. See if any of your college friends would be up for sharing a place. That could be fun. But beware: you guys would have to be responsible for the cleaning and utilities. You'd have to divvy up the responsibilities, like grown-ups, be considerate of each others' study time & quiet time, etc.

I think you should stay at, or near, the college. That commute time from home would eat up 1-1/2 hr./day of your study time. You'll need that time in your last two years; the work will be more demanding, you'll need to run to the library more often, etc. Plus there are those cool clubs you said you were in; stick with those. You're making a transition away from home, gradually, out into the world. Transitioning back to the home isn't an option. Look forward in life, not back.
Actually it IS an option if that’s what I want and I know plenty of people who do it for their last year or two. And this is an apartment style dorm, which I should’ve been clearer about, but it is still a nightmare for me as an introvert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities