U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 12:56 PM

7,551 posts, read 7,981,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
As an undergrad?
Yes, she should get into a lab and see if she can get her name on a paper. Also can do this in a summer research project from certain organizations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2018, 01:03 PM

9,270 posts, read 7,295,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
As an undergrad?
Yes. It will be a competitive advantage when applying for vet med school.

Old 01-14-2018, 01:07 PM

7,551 posts, read 7,981,754 times
Some really good advice on this thread. It's not just about your child wanting to help animals or even having some volunteer experience. She has to be able to pass the weed out science/math classes, the same classes that pre-med students are required to take.

She should also look into summer vet. internships for high school students and college students at your local zoo. The New York Conservation Society has an excellent one, one for HS students and another for college students. Also look into programs offered by the Smithsonian for students. Your child may have to be open to living away from home for these internships. Some offer housing and maybe a small stipend, but expect to still have a lot of out of pocket expenses. There are also short-term conservation projects that may help build her resume through USGS, NOAA, Fish and Wildlife, Dept. of Interior.

IF you live close to MSU, see if she can volunteer at their animal husbandry or on-campus animal facilities.

Old 01-15-2018, 02:13 PM

1,984 posts, read 4,786,875 times
I can't stress the importance of experience~volunteering with Humane Society or SPCA's. Working as an Animal Tech or even as a receptionist/caretaker/ in an animal setting (doggie day care/vet office or animal boarding facility or even a pet store). She should be doing this now or during her summer months before starting undergraduate studies. This may sway her thinking or strengthen her determination and drive.

Look for a strong undergraduate program with a high graduate study placement record. Schools that will provide her with a well rounded curriculum, including the opportunity for lots of hands on experiences and mentors that will be honest and challenge her. The idea of doing something to get published is excellent; working in a lab, inputting data, etc. are all experiences that will "get you published".

Old 01-15-2018, 02:36 PM

4,145 posts, read 4,547,520 times
Wow, thanks for the amazing advice EVERYONE.

To answer a few questions, she has been volunteering at the Humane Society for 3 years. Since she is under 18, that is the best option right now. Cost is not a major option right now. At least for her undergrad. Out of state tuition is not a factor due to VA educational benefits. As soon as she turns 18 she will research other options to dig into getting more experience.

She fully understands that grades aren't the tell-all for any career. So I will definitely look into all the options possible. We have 2 pets. We have met some amazing vets across the country, being a military family.

I have no clue about the medical field so just inquiring but will dig in a little more with different professional vets and working on the undergraduate first. But it looks like she is leaning in the Animal Science degree. But I will encourage her to focus on prereq first because I know being exposed to different careers/classes in college can change your mind about a degree at a young age.

Old 01-17-2018, 04:07 AM

1,938 posts, read 3,302,275 times
Best of luck to your daughter!

Try to encourage her to have a back-up plan just in case she needs one. I know, this can be difficult to do without dashing their hopes and aspirations.

Old 01-17-2018, 06:55 AM

4,139 posts, read 2,714,439 times
If all else fails, there's always some for-profit "diploma mills" down in the Caribbean, that would have no problem giving you a piece of paper with your name and DVM on it, in exchange for say, $200,000 or $250,000 or more!

Old 01-17-2018, 07:29 AM

438 posts, read 413,489 times
Depending on the Vet school, an Animal Science degree alone may not satisfy all the pre-requisites. My daughter in vet school knows quite a few folks who after graduating with a four year degree in Animal Science or Biology then took another year of classes to get all the required science classes. She graduated with a double degree in Animal Science and Bio Chem and a minor in Nutrition and was able to satisfy the course requirements of all the vet schools she applied to.

Some undergrad programs are better than others in allowing undergrad students to help on research in labs. University of Vermont encourages lab research, and it’s honors program emphasizes thesis projects for undergrad students. Though UVM does not have a Vet school I believe something like 80% of their graduates that applied to vet schools got accepted. There are probably other public and private universities with similar success.

And yes, experience with animals is a plus, but grades are everything. My daughter had the minimum number of hours interning and shadowing vets, but perfect science grades and a published thesis under her belt, and got into all her top choices.

Old 01-17-2018, 01:28 PM

4,145 posts, read 4,547,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed59 View Post
Depending on the Vet school, an Animal Science degree alone may not satisfy all the pre-requisites. My daughter in vet school knows quite a few folks who after graduating with a four year degree in Animal Science or Biology then took another year of classes to get all the required science classes. She graduated with a double degree in Animal Science and Bio Chem and a minor in Nutrition and was able to satisfy the course requirements of all the vet schools she applied to.

Some undergrad programs are better than others in allowing undergrad students to help on research in labs. University of Vermont encourages lab research, and itís honors program emphasizes thesis projects for undergrad students. Though UVM does not have a Vet school I believe something like 80% of their graduates that applied to vet schools got accepted. There are probably other public and private universities with similar success.

And yes, experience with animals is a plus, but grades are everything. My daughter had the minimum number of hours interning and shadowing vets, but perfect science grades and a published thesis under her belt, and got into all her top choices.

That makes sense. If she attends NC State or Michigan State for undergrad, is it more likely that she will satisfy the pre-requisites for vet school as well as interns programs since there is a Vet program there? I'm thinking the counselors and program director's there would guide her and have more knowledge of what she needs to be accepted at the school program or am I off on that? The reason I asking is that I prefer to keep her at the same school. I know it may not always work out that way but that's the preference in the long term.

Old 01-17-2018, 02:39 PM

20,208 posts, read 28,258,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
That makes sense. If she attends NC State or Michigan State for undergrad, is it more likely that she will satisfy the pre-requisites for vet school as well as interns programs since there is a Vet program there? I'm thinking the counselors and program director's there would guide her and have more knowledge of what she needs to be accepted at the school program or am I off on that? The reason I asking is that I prefer to keep her at the same school. I know it may not always work out that way but that's the preference in the long term.
I guess I didn't stress the competitiveness of the varying Vet programs strongly enough. NC State for instance accepts around 100 students out of 900 that apply. I would imagine a good number of NCSU undergrads would apply of that number so if factoring say even 50, your daughter is up against 49 other applicants who all have the same "inside track" perception as part of the equation. I would just strongly recommend not choosing a university because of a favorite status for it's Vet program given the long odds and what amounts to setting up for failure when not accepted. Find a good reputable undergrad program and if/when she does the best she's capable of, she'll no doubt gain acceptance to one of the certified programs here in the US versus attaching a premium to something specific school-wise that could well be unattainable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or