Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 08:09 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,450,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident_Crash_Lander View Post
You are correct, however I hyperfocus, so if I am truly learning from something I will not stop doing it until the day of my death. This is why I've gone from playing back in black to Arpeggios from Hell in less than three years, hyperfocus.

That is why they shouldn't give the opening to someone else, because when I hit the point where it's no longer basic education and we actually get to the point where I am learning more and more and more it will become a point of hyperfocus for me, much like my musical pursuits.

The issue is getting myself there.

Also, would you mind quitting with the "you'll never get theres?" If I really wanted to I can do anything in life, why? Because I am capable of manipulating people and I am ruthless. So there you go.
And yet you haven't been able to manipulate better grades, you are a year behind in school (and perhaps more in maturity). Not to mention you are asking strangers on the internet some pretty basic and questions with fairly obvious answers.

I think you spend too much time gaming and in alternate worlds.

Last edited by maciesmom; 01-23-2018 at 08:19 AM.. Reason: Sp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2018, 08:15 AM

5 posts, read 5,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
This isn't just going to be an issue with college admissions. It's going to be an issue with employers. I'm really good at and interested in parts of my job, but lots of it is just a slog through crap I'm not interested in and don't enjoy. That's the way jobs are and why they pay you for doing one. Employers expect you to take care of work both interesting to you and boring to you. How will you keep a job if you can't overcome your laziness and lack of effort when something doesn't interest you??
What if I employ myself?

Then so long as make good on taxes, stay legal and run my business well I can do pretty much whatever I want, no regulations from corporate (I AM THE CEO! SUCK IT!) Maybe I should go to a college for business, I like money and I am good at selling things.

Question is, what business besides the given studio? I could start a business that sells custom effect pedals and amps for a pretty penny. So electrical engineering, sound engineering and business. Lets see, 18 months bachelor for sound, 6 years for a double major in electrical engineering and business.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:21 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,802,181 times
Quote:
What if I employ myself?

Then so long as make good on taxes, stay legal and run my business well I can do pretty much whatever I want, no regulations from corporate (I AM THE CEO! SUCK IT!) Maybe I should go to a college for business, I like money and I am good at selling things.

Question is, what business besides the given studio? I could start a business that sells custom effect pedals and amps for a pretty penny. So electrical engineering, sound engineering and business. Lets see, 18 months bachelor for sound, 6 years for a double major in electrical engineering and business.

Sure. Just not at Notre Dame.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:33 AM

24,558 posts, read 18,244,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Alternately you can go to a less selective college and probably continue to coast. Then it is possible your lack of work ethic will not catch up with you until you get out into the workforce.
The country is stuffed full of people who have huge debt and no job prospects after going to that less selective college, taking easy courses, getting Cs, and ending up with a glorified certificate of attendance.

I don't get the school choice. Somebody talking about audio engineering or weapons systems isn't usually going to pick Notre Dame. That's the kind of school where everybody is business/econ, pre law, and pre med. Schools with good technical education typically have really lousy football teams if they even have one.

Well, I guess in my life experience as a metro Boston tech startup guy, most of the defense contractor jobs are underachieving plodders where they're not allowed to think or act independently so there's always that as a career track. They'll hire people from 2nd tier state schools.

In 2018, you need the SAT scores to show "smart", the grades to show "motivated", and some kind of "story" to get into a top school. You're competing against all the Asian/Indian kids who have been coached up 100 points on their SAT Math & Verbal tests, get straight A's, and have a long list of outside activities. "I'm focused when I'm interested" doesn't get it done.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:58 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,337,447 times
While I find your motivation encouraging let me explain a point that the powers that be of a given place of education may be looking for.

You claim to want to go to a school of your choice and not just any school a school with the ability to pick and choose who gets in.

In 2017 Notre Dame had 8,624 students. For 2017 the school had 19,566 prospective first year students enroll. Of those 3,700 were admitted. Of those only 2,050 enrolled. 43% of those that enrolled were in the top 2% of high school graduates for GPA, Test Scores, ect.

The average GPA for a Notre Dame incoming Freshman is 4.04 with students chosen that have completed AP classes. Realize that GPA is waited with regards to type of classes completed.

The average SAT scores for a Notre Dame student are 2140 for the old 2400 SAT and 1490 for the new 1600 SAT.

The average ACT score for an incoming student is 34 (Top score of an act is 36)

Can you get into Notre Dame? It depends. Your GPA is not going to get you there. What you can do is the following:

1. Take both the SAT and the ACT. Get a perfect score in both the SAT and the ACT.

2. Build a business of your own. You mention being a hot shot electronics wiz. Take what you know and build something of value. Create a business.

3. Get published. Write a book.

4. From your claim they should want you to attend their school. Show them by accomplishing things of value. Prove to them that you can accomplish something of value

Old 01-23-2018, 09:10 AM

249 posts, read 332,260 times
Notre Dame is not the Be all end all. Lots of "intelligent" people are denied every year. I would take the SAT and see what scores you get and apply to a range from reach to safety schools. Good luck!

Old 01-23-2018, 09:54 AM

792 posts, read 496,574 times
I feel we have done a disservice to the youth in our country allowing the concept of University to be come "Grades 13-17". University is supposed to be a place of higher learning, not tech school. Originally we had schools of higher learning for the top 0.1% then expanded to specialized colleges (agriculture, teaching, education, technology, etc) and at that point we should have stopped. We now expect most students to get into university before advancing to their careers, and it shouldn't be that way.

I went to a well respected "A&T" type school and got my degree by the skin of my teeth. 95% of the things I learned I have forgotten because I have not used them since. Very high level math, detailed technical aspects of my field, literature; things I should have learned at University, but mostly unrelated to what I do now, which to the outsider would be right in line with my major. A local tech school would have been more appropriate.

To the OP. 1) My first advice would be to get over yourself, and I mean that in the nicest way possible. You sound like me 25 years ago. I wasn't all that special and neither are you. If at all possible, travel. Even if it's local, like hiking the AT. If you can get overseas, better. Your perspective is narrow, getting out will help. Plus, you'll never be young again. Looking back, a year off would have been nothing.

2) When you have decided what direction you would like to start in (words chosen carefully) find a state or local school and just graduate in a field that resembles your broad interests. If you are truly our next genius, post-graduate school will still be there.

3) For the love of Thor please don't go into life with the idea that a CEO is some magical position that allows you to tell people to "Suck it!". Either your clients or a board is always your boss, except now you don't just get to turn off your computer at the end of the day and go home, it NEVER goes away.

4) Don't get into studios/recording for a business. That is a dying industry for the most part.

Old 01-23-2018, 10:57 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,622,128 times
Quote:
That is a fair point, but here it is: My procrastination and lack of interest are in humanities, history and English. I love literature, but those are what my lack of interest is due to, once I actually pass the 101 stuff and never have to touch either of those things I don't think I could be more interested or motivated.

Why wouldn't they give me the opportunity? Who else would they give it to?

If all else fails I will go to a sound engineering university and work at or open a studio and make music for a living.

And if that fails, I'm off to weapons development for the military. That is something I am good at.
You crack me up.

Compared to everyone you know, which is NOBODY, you are good at weapons development.

You have no concept what is required to develop usable, BETTER weapons than what the military has available to them now, let alone what is coming down the pipeline.

Old 01-23-2018, 11:20 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,786,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
While I find your motivation encouraging let me explain a point that the powers that be of a given place of education may be looking for.

You claim to want to go to a school of your choice and not just any school a school with the ability to pick and choose who gets in.

In 2017 Notre Dame had 8,624 students. For 2017 the school had 19,566 prospective first year students enroll. Of those 3,700 were admitted. Of those only 2,050 enrolled. 43% of those that enrolled were in the top 2% of high school graduates for GPA, Test Scores, ect.

The average GPA for a Notre Dame incoming Freshman is 4.04 with students chosen that have completed AP classes. Realize that GPA is waited with regards to type of classes completed.

The average SAT scores for a Notre Dame student are 2140 for the old 2400 SAT and 1490 for the new 1600 SAT.

The average ACT score for an incoming student is 34 (Top score of an act is 36)

Can you get into Notre Dame? It depends. Your GPA is not going to get you there. What you can do is the following:

1. Take both the SAT and the ACT. Get a perfect score in both the SAT and the ACT.

2. Build a business of your own. You mention being a hot shot electronics wiz. Take what you know and build something of value. Create a business.

3. Get published. Write a book.

4. From your claim they should want you to attend their school. Show them by accomplishing things of value. Prove to them that you can accomplish something of value
An then you have to pay for it. $70K a year is not easy to come by for most people. Even with some scholarships you are not going to get the price down to a rational amount compared to a good public school (Say University of Michigan which is rated just a little behind Notre Dame and costs about $24K a year.)

Old 01-23-2018, 11:22 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,786,099 times
Also for the OP when you fill out your applications and/or interview, do not begin sentences with "So," and do not use contractions. That is one way to show them you are intelligent - show them you have a solid command of English and good communication skills. You can be great a figuring a math problem, but if you cannot communicate you are not "intelligent" from the University's viewpoint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities