U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 11:26 AM

5,753 posts, read 3,038,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Something is wrong here. If you had those kind of credentials, you could have easily gotten a full ride at a tier 2 or 3 school. Nless maybe you just interview terribly, or you did nothing in high school except study. If you shine, you do not need to go to a high name recognition school, especially if you are going on to grad school. If cannot stand out at a tier 2 or 3 school then you should probably look for a different career path.
Don't know. Pretty much matches what I've seen. Keep hearing about these full rides but the only ones I've seen have been either ROTC or athletes. Maybe band. But none of my kids or their friends in college actually got one except for extreme super genius 36 ACT scores. There is little money out there for middle class students and even less for males.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 11:37 AM

3,153 posts, read 2,848,160 times
Colleges care about your chances of success more than your intelligence. If you're brilliant but likely to drop out or fail everything because you're lazy and impatient, they aren't going to take you. Try showing that you can rise to the challenge and actually do the work, or take the initiative to do something constructive and useful - intelligence and talent are useless to a college if you're just sitting around your house patting yourself on the back, but not actually doing anything out in the world.

Old 01-24-2018, 12:41 PM

24,717 posts, read 59,579,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Don't know. Pretty much matches what I've seen. Keep hearing about these full rides but the only ones I've seen have been either ROTC or athletes. Maybe band. But none of my kids or their friends in college actually got one except for extreme super genius 36 ACT scores. There is little money out there for middle class students and even less for males.
One of our sons is a finalist for a full ride scholarship at Eastern Michgian University. It is an $84,000 scholarship over 4 years. There were 70 finalists for 21 scholarships available. Only 50 of the finalists showed up for the final round of testing/interviews so nearly half of the finalists will get scholarships. I told my son he had little chance since he is white, male and we make a decent living. He said almost everyone there were white males. Who knows, there may be a shot. Several of the past winners were also white males. Not every school excludes them.

He was also a finalist for full ride scholarships at two other schools. He got a substantial scholarship but not the big kahuna at both of them (around $7K a year). At one of those schools being white and male pretty clearly did him in, if he did not do himself in. All of the recent recipients were minority women or transgender, or an unusual minority male like American Indian. No white male winners for that scholarship at that school in the past 15 years.

However at Eastern and at the other school, they do award full rides to white males. Those cannot be the only schools that do.

My son has a 1460 or 1480 SAT and a 3.89/4.0 GPA. He really has no big outside accomplishments except that he has played trumpet with professional jazz bands and at a local university - but he is not pursuing a trumpet scholarship. He has most of the AP classes our school offers, but not all of them. I do not know how much that really matters. Maybe they look to make sure your GPA is not just because you took a lot of art classes.

Eastern is not the best school in our area, but it is a decent school and good enough to get a good job or into grad school if you do well. If he gets the scholarship, I certainly hope he goes there.

Old 01-24-2018, 12:52 PM

9,084 posts, read 3,701,709 times
tell him to go after the small scholarships too, most ignore them and try for the full ride one

who cares if you need ten of them, money is money and if they add up to a full ride, then you got a full ride

being white/male doesn't matter

Old 01-24-2018, 01:33 PM

21 scholarships among around 5000 freshmen. That leaves somewhere around 4979 who didn't get it. That was kind of my point of how few there are. Sure there are the exceptional few but that's the point--the exceptional few aren't a representative sample. Congrats to your son for such an exceptional SAT score.

Old 01-24-2018, 02:52 PM

24,717 posts, read 59,579,994 times
Quote:
21 scholarships among around 5000 freshmen. That leaves somewhere around 4979 who didn't get it. That was kind of my point of how few there are. Sure there are the exceptional few but that's the point--the exceptional few aren't a representative sample. Congrats to your son for such an exceptional SAT score.
He was disappointed, most of his friends did better. Maybe he just hangs with geeks.

However that was my point. A top student can many sneak into Notre Dame if they are lucky, but will not get a scholarship, or they can go to a second or third tier school where they are at the top of the applicants and they will gt noticed.

The point is if the OP is super intelligent as claimed, he will get a phenomenal test score, that will get him into the interviews for full scholarships at lower level schools. Eastern MI for free is way way better than Notre Dame and a debt of $280,000 just for undergrad. A top school can open doors but it is not worth incurring a lifetime of debt.

Old 01-24-2018, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
He was disappointed, most of his friends did better. Maybe he just hangs with geeks.

However that was my point. A top student can many sneak into Notre Dame if they are lucky, but will not get a scholarship, or they can go to a second or third tier school where they are at the top of the applicants and they will gt noticed.

The point is if the OP is super intelligent as claimed, he will get a phenomenal test score, that will get him into the interviews for full scholarships at lower level schools. Eastern MI for free is way way better than Notre Dame and a debt of $280,000 just for undergrad. A top school can open doors but it is not worth incurring a lifetime of debt.
I agree on that other than why would anyone pay that much for Notre Dame? It's not like the quality of education at Notre Dame is going to be that much better. I could understand at some of the very top schools like Harvard, Princeton, Caltech, MIT, Stanford, but other than those I'd say the education at most of the "name" schools, Notre Dame being one, is no better with most state flagships. Over my career I've worked with those from most of the top state schools Ivies and honestly the variance between individuals is greater than between schools. Now when you drop to the third tiers yes, I do see a pretty big difference between 3rd and the 2nd/1st tier schools. Note, this is in physical science/engineering so no reference is made to squishy stuff like bio or feely stuff like humanities.

Old 01-24-2018, 10:22 PM

9,084 posts, read 3,701,709 times
Quote:
I had a dozen of them myself... pretty sure not all scholarships are "listed" by the school...

there is enough scholarship/grant money out there for nearly every student in the US to get a full ride in college, if only they bothered looking beyond the easiest/lowest branch to grab at
forgot the paper/source that did the grant money/tuition cost comparison, it's a few years old

Old 01-24-2018, 11:26 PM

1,842 posts, read 967,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident_Crash_Lander View Post
Hi, so I am 1 year behind in school, it is not because I am not capable of the work or that it is too difficult, it is because of a combination of a variety of factors: Firstly I love learning but as soon as a test comes I lose interest, secondly I lost a year of school because I was clinically depressed (Situational, I'm fine now), and finally I have never really been interested in traditional methods of education (The ramping up of difficulty on essentially the same paper or history book, while it was necessary in 6-10th grade is not necessary in 11-12th and generally detracts from my education, assign me a new book and a new type of paper..... lest I procrastinate from frustration at your inability to grasp that I grasp the subject material).

I have about 17 chairs that will pull for me at Notre Dame, but my GPA is about 3.1-3.8 (I don't know at the moment, I am halfway through 11th grade due to procrastination and lack of interest) The thing is, how do I prove that I am intelligent? Short of building a particle accelerator (Yes I would like to do that like Michio Kaku) in my basement that is.

The thing is, I can pick up any concept in math and within just a couple minutes understand a good 80% of that concept with no practice and retain that information (Unless we're talking about a convoluted and extremely drawn out higher math process), and the same with science, I am extremely knowledgeable in the construction of nuclear devices and reactors due to my obsession with radiation and nuclear engineering since I was seven, and I've always been good at hypothesizing well backed points in a variety of sciences ranging from cosmology to medicine.

But without the piece of paper that states that I have a GPA of 4.0 or so what does that say to Notre Dame?
Nothing, that's the issue. They base their choice off that little number, and I'm not a very sociable person (My life consists of guitar, music and other instruments, school, and some games) so I kind of miss the whole club thing, though I have been essentially state president and have been on the board of a major youth organization for like 7 years. And seeing as I'm pretty sure they don't care about musical pursuits (the jazz bands I've been invited to play in, my metal band etc.) that doesn't really do anything. I am an eagle scout, but still, if it took me 2 years to complete one year of school then how does that come across?

Honestly, how the hell do people even get into these schools? There's more hoops to jump through than you can find in all the circuses in the world combined.
Colleges don't care if you're a genius, they want to know if you will be successful at their school. The best way to prove that is to do well your last couple years in school.

Old 01-27-2018, 01:40 PM

7,191 posts, read 5,261,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassTacksGal View Post
Colleges don't care if you're a genius, they want to know if you will be successful at their school. The best way to prove that is to do well your last couple years in school.
Yep. I went to high school with plenty of people who were really smart but wouldn't put in the effort on things they found uninteresting.

They mostly work crap jobs now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities