U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 04:41 PM

3,046 posts, read 1,216,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I agree on that other than why would anyone pay that much for Notre Dame? It's not like the quality of education at Notre Dame is going to be that much better. I could understand at some of the very top schools like Harvard, Princeton, Caltech, MIT, Stanford, but other than those I'd say the education at most of the "name" schools, Notre Dame being one, is no better with most state flagships. Over my career I've worked with those from most of the top state schools Ivies and honestly the variance between individuals is greater than between schools. Now when you drop to the third tiers yes, I do see a pretty big difference between 3rd and the 2nd/1st tier schools. Note, this is in physical science/engineering so no reference is made to squishy stuff like bio or feely stuff like humanities.
Notre Dame gives out tons of need-based scholarships. If you look at their stats (which are available on their financial aid pages), very few people end up taking out a ton of loans for an undergrad degree. The main benefit to ND is the alumni network, which is vast and generally willing to help people out. Plus, a lot of people who go to ND for physical science/engineering arenít necessarily coming from the Midwest, where a lot of the local schools are already extremely strong in those fields. I doubt someone from Indiana is going to go to ND if they can get into Purdue for engineering, or is going to choose ND over Illinois for computer science if they are from Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2018, 06:39 PM

1 posts, read 162 times
I think You don't need to prove how smart you are, and find otherr schools on google

Old 02-15-2018, 10:02 AM

391 posts, read 200,939 times
Haven't read all the other posts, so maybe this has been covered already...

Stop listening to what your mom is saying about how smart but unconventional you are. Stop referring to things like "the piece of paper with a 4.0 GPA on it" and how you were "essentially" (but not literally?) the class president. Show a little respect for people who have done those things. What exactly is it you want to do after college? Focus on what you can do now, among the many, many existing and proven channels available to you, to show that you have perseverance, respect for education, and a dedication to do what it takes to achieve a college degree. Stop acting like you need to reinvent the wheel here or like "the system" is out to stop you. You are nearly a grown adult who is going to have to function in the real world shortly so start focusing on that. And perhaps stop concentrating on Notre Dame and look at other options to achieve what you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities