U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-22-2018, 09:23 PM
 
5 posts, read 3,200 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hi, so I am 1 year behind in school, it is not because I am not capable of the work or that it is too difficult, it is because of a combination of a variety of factors: Firstly I love learning but as soon as a test comes I lose interest, secondly I lost a year of school because I was clinically depressed (Situational, I'm fine now), and finally I have never really been interested in traditional methods of education (The ramping up of difficulty on essentially the same paper or history book, while it was necessary in 6-10th grade is not necessary in 11-12th and generally detracts from my education, assign me a new book and a new type of paper..... lest I procrastinate from frustration at your inability to grasp that I grasp the subject material).

I have about 17 chairs that will pull for me at Notre Dame, but my GPA is about 3.1-3.8 (I don't know at the moment, I am halfway through 11th grade due to procrastination and lack of interest) The thing is, how do I prove that I am intelligent? Short of building a particle accelerator (Yes I would like to do that like Michio Kaku) in my basement that is.

The thing is, I can pick up any concept in math and within just a couple minutes understand a good 80% of that concept with no practice and retain that information (Unless we're talking about a convoluted and extremely drawn out higher math process), and the same with science, I am extremely knowledgeable in the construction of nuclear devices and reactors due to my obsession with radiation and nuclear engineering since I was seven, and I've always been good at hypothesizing well backed points in a variety of sciences ranging from cosmology to medicine.

But without the piece of paper that states that I have a GPA of 4.0 or so what does that say to Notre Dame?
Nothing, that's the issue. They base their choice off that little number, and I'm not a very sociable person (My life consists of guitar, music and other instruments, school, and some games) so I kind of miss the whole club thing, though I have been essentially state president and have been on the board of a major youth organization for like 7 years. And seeing as I'm pretty sure they don't care about musical pursuits (the jazz bands I've been invited to play in, my metal band etc.) that doesn't really do anything. I am an eagle scout, but still, if it took me 2 years to complete one year of school then how does that come across?

Honestly, how the hell do people even get into these schools? There's more hoops to jump through than you can find in all the circuses in the world combined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-22-2018, 09:48 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
16,466 posts, read 15,905,878 times
Reputation: 38730
From a quick google search unless your have 4.04 grade point (which you don't) maybe a perfect 36 on your ACT could get them to at least look at your application. A 36 shows them that you are intelligent.

Or you could do a summer research project with one of those current professors at Notre Dame that are "pulling for you". I have been told that being co-author on a published research paper, while in HS, is a real plus for most top Universities.

Now, it is risky, but sometimes being a disabled student can add diversity. Ask your psychiatrist about that.

Or you could go to a different school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2018, 05:44 AM
 
Location: Denver area
21,134 posts, read 22,102,729 times
Reputation: 35503
Intelligence isn't the obstacle, "procrastination and lack of interest" is. Why would universities give you an opportunity at another's expense if you lack interest, even if you are intelligent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2018, 06:09 AM
 
5 posts, read 3,200 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Intelligence isn't the obstacle, "procrastination and lack of interest" is. Why would universities give you an opportunity at another's expense if you lack interest, even if you are intelligent?
That is a fair point, but here it is: My procrastination and lack of interest are in humanities, history and English. I love literature, but those are what my lack of interest is due to, once I actually pass the 101 stuff and never have to touch either of those things I don't think I could be more interested or motivated.


Why wouldn't they give me the opportunity? Who else would they give it to?

If all else fails I will go to a sound engineering university and work at or open a studio and make music for a living.

And if that fails, I'm off to weapons development for the military. That is something I am good at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2018, 06:18 AM
 
2,187 posts, read 1,532,416 times
Reputation: 2052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident_Crash_Lander View Post
That is a fair point, but here it is: My procrastination and lack of interest are in humanities, history and English. I love literature, but those are what my lack of interest is due to, once I actually pass the 101 stuff and never have to touch either of those things I don't think I could be more interested or motivated.


Why wouldn't they give me the opportunity? Who else would they give it to?

If all else fails I will go to a sound engineering university and work at or open a studio and make music for a living.

And if that fails, I'm off to weapons development for the military. That is something I am good at.
Lack of interest does not justify your procrastination and laziness. You may have high IQ in terms of understanding concept and retain those knowledge, but if you are not willing to do works that is not in your interest, then it doesn't really matter much. The reason of college assigning all sort of different courses for students to take is to kind of say, ok, we will make you take all sort of classes regardless if is related to your major, but you have to proof the ability to finish the course. The grade you get for all courses determine what kind of student you are.

A student with the right attitude in life will get ahead of students who have financial advantage and student with high IQ but the wrong attitude.

No one cares about your interest, is about how consistent you are with everything even when you don't like to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2018, 07:03 AM
 
Location: Grosse Ile Michigan
24,717 posts, read 59,563,864 times
Reputation: 26822
Why wold they give the opening to someone else? Because smart lazy people tend to fail in college and later in their profession. When you get to college, if you go to a highly selective college, you are not smart anymore, you are average. Now you have to work hard to stand out. You will need to work at it to get Bs and As will be completely out of your reach if you are lazy. You might develop a work ethic as you go through college or maybe not. If not, no employer will want you for long. However, why should a college take you when they can take someone equally smart or even less smart who already has a work ethic and will succeed in college and career? They do not want to waste their time with you if you are not going to work at it. The days of coasting because you are smart and most of your class is less so end with high school.

Alternately you can go to a less selective college and probably continue to coast. Then it is possible your lack of work ethic will not catch up with you until you get out into the workforce. Even then, you could always just go work for the government. Lots of government workers are smart and hard working, but you do not have to be. IF you think the government fires lazy people, you have not dealt with the government much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2018, 07:34 AM
 
5,750 posts, read 3,035,945 times
Reputation: 15087
Some of the things you don't like are some of the most important to being a successful engineer. I'm not a teacher but a practicing scientist in major system R&D. One of the things I tell students when I visit schools is that English, lit, and history are just as important as math and science. I can hire engineers who are good at math all day. Finding engineers who can communicate to non technical (ie the money) people is much harder. Much of an engineers day is spent doing things you don't want to do but have to do.

You don't need to prove how smart you are; you have to prove you are willing to buckle down and get to work when you have to, not when you want to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2018, 07:53 AM
 
Location: Raleigh
6,964 posts, read 5,183,151 times
Reputation: 9390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident_Crash_Lander View Post
Honestly, how the hell do people even get into these schools? There's more hoops to jump through than you can find in all the circuses in the world combined.
Eight out of Ten of them don't.

They don't accept but 18 percent of kids that apply. There's a reason the Valedictorian from my High School went ti ND and no one else did (and this was a Catholic School in the Chicago area.)

So your other option would be to go the Rudy route and transfer in.

Or, be honest with yourself that maybe ND isn't the right place for you. There are plenty of other colleges that are less stringent in their admissions that provide a quality education where you can learn what you seek to learn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2018, 07:54 AM
 
5,605 posts, read 4,158,119 times
Reputation: 12338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident_Crash_Lander View Post
That is a fair point, but here it is: My procrastination and lack of interest are in humanities, history and English. I love literature, but those are what my lack of interest is due to, once I actually pass the 101 stuff and never have to touch either of those things I don't think I could be more interested or motivated.


Why wouldn't they give me the opportunity? Who else would they give it to?

If all else fails I will go to a sound engineering university and work at or open a studio and make music for a living.

And if that fails, I'm off to weapons development for the military. That is something I am good at.

This isn't just going to be an issue with college admissions. It's going to be an issue with employers. I'm really good at and interested in parts of my job, but lots of it is just a slog through crap I'm not interested in and don't enjoy. That's the way jobs are and why they pay you for doing one. Employers expect you to take care of work both interesting to you and boring to you. How will you keep a job if you can't overcome your laziness and lack of effort when something doesn't interest you??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2018, 08:03 AM
 
5 posts, read 3,200 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Why wold they give the opening to someone else? Because smart lazy people tend to fail in college and later in their profession. When you get to college, if you go to a highly selective college, you are not smart anymore, you are average. Now you have to work hard to stand out. You will need to work at it to get Bs and As will be completely out of your reach if you are lazy. You might develop a work ethic as you go through college or maybe not. If not, no employer will want you for long. However, why should a college take you when they can take someone equally smart or even less smart who already has a work ethic and will succeed in college and career? They do not want to waste their time with you if you are not going to work at it. The days of coasting because you are smart and most of your class is less so end with high school.

Alternately you can go to a less selective college and probably continue to coast. Then it is possible your lack of work ethic will not catch up with you until you get out into the workforce. Even then, you could always just go work for the government. Lots of government workers are smart and hard working, but you do not have to be. IF you think the government fires lazy people, you have not dealt with the government much.
You are correct, however I hyperfocus, so if I am truly learning from something I will not stop doing it until the day of my death. This is why I've gone from playing back in black to Arpeggios from Hell in less than three years, hyperfocus.

That is why they shouldn't give the opening to someone else, because when I hit the point where it's no longer basic education and we actually get to the point where I am learning more and more and more it will become a point of hyperfocus for me, much like my musical pursuits.

The issue is getting myself there.

Also, would you mind quitting with the "you'll never get theres?" If I really wanted to I can do anything in life, why? Because I am capable of manipulating people and I am ruthless. So there you go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top