Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 11:08 PM

2,072 posts, read 1,640,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeCastro View Post
I have had this university blow my phone up to try to get me to sign up for one of their degree programs online. If I decide I want to go back to school, I may consider them. Do employers respect a degree from this school? How is the quality of their degree programs? Would my resume basically get thrown in the trash if I put a degree from this school on my resume? I was considering getting an MBA from them at one time and that is how they got my information but that was over a year ago and I am not sure if I am gonna get an MBA or not.
I think it's reasonable at the undergraduate level for someone who wants to stay local at a smaller
Christian setting. ASU can get really large for some students, and it's easy to lost in the crowd. GCU
offers a smaller setting which can be a preference for some students.

But for an MBA it would be best to go to one of the Pac-12 schools like ASU or U of A. A masters in
business intelligence from ASU would go very far in data mining. U of A also has a very rigorous online
program with an average of 15 hours of study generally recommended for each 3 credit course. These
hours are literally extrapolated from surveys on class evaluations by the students themselves.

I would recommend ASU or U of A for the MBA. That business inteliligence program at ASU overlaps with
software development and database programming. That would go much further.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2018, 06:09 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
I would recommend WGU if considering online and it has a good reputation.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/dianahe.../#2487c6e76b48

Old 02-18-2018, 02:40 PM

5,517 posts, read 8,762,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
If you think non-profits don't make money you don't know how the world works.
Nonprofits will and should bring in more revenues than expenses, even its a very small amount. But in a nonprofit the surplus goes to institutional use—not to line shareholders pockets. That’s a huge difference.
if you can’t grasp that I think it’s you who doesn’t know how the world works.

Old 02-18-2018, 05:37 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,914,243 times
I'd avoid any schools along the lines of Grand Canyon University, Western Governors, etc. Check out your local community college or state university. Cheaper and more legitimate.

Old 02-19-2018, 09:54 AM

6,626 posts, read 4,289,861 times
Unbelievable how many people are wasting their time and money on getting worthless degrees from these online universities.

Old 02-19-2018, 10:39 AM

953 posts, read 842,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Grand Canyon is known for a lot of things. University isn't one of them.
It could be like Trump University, different in name but sharing one thing in common. Getting involved with GCU could be the equivalent of throwing money into a hole ... specifically, one that is 6,000 feet down. Use your resources in a more judicious way.

Old 02-19-2018, 06:51 PM

17,778 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Yup, this is drumming up business. They're a for profit that has not been able to convert to non profit status. Ugly sign.
GCU is a Christian school. It's been around for a while as a traditional small college Christian liberal arts college.

Old 02-20-2018, 10:16 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
GCU is a Christian school. It's been around for a while as a traditional small college Christian liberal arts college.
And I have no idea what your point is. Being Christian or having been around awhile doesn't' change anything.

Old 02-20-2018, 05:30 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,078,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Unbelievable how many people are wasting their time and money on getting worthless degrees from these online universities.
I agree there.

A lot of schools these days have online programs, especially MBA programs. A lot of those schools are some of the most respected brick and mortar schools at that. I think universities have found another stream of revenue, a student who wishes to go back to school but can't full time due to other commitments. This is where online schooling comes into play.

There is a huge difference, in my opinion, between schools that offer online programs versus schools that are all online.

The military has schools that most outside of the military will likely not have heard of: Excelsior, Webster and American Military University. Those schools pitch their programs hard to Soldiers. I passed and always encouraged my Soldiers to seek education at "real" schools. I would hate for a Soldier to throw his hard earned tuition assistance or GI Bill money away.

Old 02-20-2018, 05:39 PM

1,532 posts, read 1,059,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
My son is a diploma nurse. His employing hospital requires that he obtain a BSN within five years of his being hired. He enrolled in Grand Canyon because he could complete the remainder of credits he needs online to get his BSN. The coursework is totally worthless and he resents having to pay for what is an empty piece of paper, but it is the easiest way for him to fulfill the requirement. It is a sad state of affairs. He said it is too bad he cannot simply write them a check in exchange for the degree instead of having to waste time on a farce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities