Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2018, 07:08 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
I have been skeptical of scientific and medical research for many years, and have tried to understand both sides of certain controversies. I have seen many examples of research that is unintentionally misleading or intentionally deceptive.
If you "have seen many examples of research that is unintentionally misleading or intentionally deceptive", you should easily be able to show us some examples. Papers that have been retracted because the scientific community determined the research was bad and the journals they were published in retracted them don't count.

Old 03-15-2018, 07:11 PM

8,226 posts, read 3,422,044 times
"the SAT is largely a measure of general intelligence. Scores on the SAT correlate very highly with scores on standardized tests of intelligence, and like IQ scores, are stable across time"

https://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebat...elligence-test

Old 03-15-2018, 07:12 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Anyway as to the discussion of research and its inherent flaws. No one has faith in research, they have faith in peer review as a methodology. It may take years, it may take decades but when fraud and misconduct are caught, it is by other scientists working within the peer review system.

This is why the idea of body of evidence is so important. No one study, especially in the medical field, should be held up as proof positive of most anything. But when you have hundreds of studies, by dozens of organizations, replicated over and over, finding the same thing, that means something. OTOH, the inability of some to understand this maybe due to the fact that some fields in particular have well known and documented problems with not being able to actually replicate findings.

Old 03-15-2018, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Does anyone else find it deeply ironic that this conversation about vaccine boils down to "don't trust experts" but then the same person early on tried to use their supposed "expertise" to claim that the GRE is an intelligence test and that everyone should just take their word for it?
"the SAT is largely a measure of general intelligence. Scores on the SAT correlate very highly with scores on standardized tests of intelligence, and like IQ scores, are stable across time"

Last edited by toobusytoday; 03-16-2018 at 07:10 AM.. Reason: The moderator will give you an infraction for name calling and delete that comment

Old 03-15-2018, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
If you "have seen many examples of research that is unintentionally misleading or intentionally deceptive", you should easily be able to show us some examples. Papers that have been retracted because the scientific community determined the research was bad and the journals they were published in retracted them don't count.
SuzyQ -- We all know that the drug companies are run by angels, and all they want is to improve our health because they love each and every one of us. That is why we should never be skeptical about their research.

Old 03-15-2018, 07:17 PM

Quote:

Note the sentence does not say "the SAT IS a measure of intelligence", it says "largely". For someone who complains about the quality of research so often shouldn't you likewise be skeptical of the researchers who correlated those scores as part of their research? Also shouldn't you better understand what correlation is and more to the point, what it is not?

Correlating variables means a relationship, not that the two variables are the same. You know what has a near perfect correlation? Global temperature and number of pirates. Do you think that makes them the same thing? I can give you a dozen other examples of strong correlation that are not the same thing.

Here are some lists of intelligence tests. Care to guess what is missing?
https://epppfree.com/list-of-intelligence-tests
http://www.psychologistanywhereanyti...ligence_IQ.htm
https://www.gulfbend.org/poc/view_do...&id=8217&cn=18
http://www.psychologydiscussion.net/...ndividual/2583

Last edited by toobusytoday; 03-16-2018 at 07:11 AM.. Reason: removed the name calling and your orphaned comment

Old 03-15-2018, 07:36 PM

And I have explained, but you missed it, that IQ tests were developed to assess children, or uneducated adults. They were not developed for educated adults. That is why we have test like the SAT and GRE general test.

Old 03-15-2018, 07:46 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry, I can't help noting that you are intentionally being idiotic.

It is well known that the SAT is an APTITUDE test. It is a test of INTELLIGENCE, of cognitive ability. You just want to have idiotic arguments.
This is a logical fallacy. You originally said the GRE. You have moved the goal posts.

Second, aptitude is a measure of skill not intelligence. Here is a link, it is from UC Davis, a fairly reputable organization I am sure you will agree.

Standardized tests: Aptitude, Intelligence, Achievement

You have also, not responded to a single piece of evidence I have posted and instead attacked me personally. Please have some academic integrity and admit at least that you "misspoke".

Old 03-15-2018, 07:50 PM

Quote:
And I have explained, but you missed it, that IQ tests were developed to assess children, or uneducated adults. They were not developed for educated adults. That is why we have test like the SAT and GRE general test.
How could I miss it? You keep saying it over and over again. You have also claimed that "all psychologists" think it is a "fact" that the GRE is an intelligence test when that has been demonstrably been proven false.

Old 03-15-2018, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
How could I miss it? You keep saying it over and over again. You have also claimed that "all psychologists" think it is a "fact" that the GRE is an intelligence test when that has been demonstrably been proven false.
How was that proven false?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities