Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 09:47 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times

Advertisements

One reason the numbers are falling is obvious. There are less kids graduating from HS.

2017 saw a 2.3% drop or 81,000 students. This came after 15 straight years of increase in the number of HS graduates. The numbers are expected to hold fairly steady until 2024-2026 when the number of graduates will increase. By 2031-2032, the numbers will be below 2017 levels.

In addition, the demographics will also shift with the number of white graduates declining while the number of minority students will increase.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/...singly-diverse
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2018, 09:49 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
A lot of school systems, primarily low performing ones, have adopted it as a mantra. I'm sure that grant money from the Gates Foundation for doing so has nothing to do with it.
No evil intent. Doesn't it make sense to encourage those on the lower rungs to pursue the career areas that tend to pay the most? Data shows those are jobs requiring a degree.

Old 03-19-2018, 09:57 AM

45,383 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
No evil intent. Doesn't it make sense to encourage those on the lower rungs to pursue the career areas that tend to pay the most? Data shows those are jobs requiring a degree.

I'm not necessarily talking lower socio-economic rungs but, to be honest, kids who can't spell Bob even if you spot them the Bs.

Here's what happens to a lot of those kids. They'll graduate from high school, barely, and go on to the local community college which has open enrollment with no SAT/ACT required.

They'll spend, if they stick to it, between 2 and 4 years at the CC taking remedial classes, and running up debt.

A very small number will be successful enough in remediation to start taking regular college classes where some will be successful and others not.

Those that stopped at the remediation classes will always be able to say they "went to college".

It's not "evil intent" but optics. You don't dare tell parents (or a parent) their kid shouldn't go to college. I didn't give a **** about blowback from doing so and would be honest with parents.

Old 03-19-2018, 10:00 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,449,563 times
Many people I know who don't end up at at 4 year institution at least go get an associates at one of the technical or state branch colleges that's focused on a trade. That or they go work retail or something and work their way up the command chain.

I doubt they leave with much debt because it's only 2-years and the tuition is very, very reasonable, and many of them can still live at home or close to home with buddies, which negates or lowers rent.

I didn't have any friends who said they were gonna go to college because they felt like it. We didn't understand the concepts of debt, cost of living, loans, etc as high schoolers, but we did understand we wanted to do X career path, which would require X amount of school.

Nor did my guidance counselors seem to push college on everybody either. If anything, my counselors werent as much of a help as they could've been.

But regardless of why people choose to go to college, please squash the whole "everybody leaving $100K in debt" nonsense. It's just not true and people only say it to try to devalue the concept of college. Greg is the one who went to Columbia, then Harvard Law, not me.

Old 03-19-2018, 10:07 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I'm not necessarily talking lower socio-economic rungs but, to be honest, kids who can't spell Bob even if you spot them the Bs.

Here's what happens to a lot of those kids. They'll graduate from high school, barely, and go on to the local community college which has open enrollment with no SAT/ACT required.

They'll spend, if they stick to it, between 2 and 4 years at the CC taking remedial classes, and running up debt.

A very small number will be successful enough in remediation to start taking regular college classes where some will be successful and others not.

Those that stopped at the remediation classes will always be able to say they "went to college".

It's not "evil intent" but optics. You don't dare tell parents (or a parent) their kid shouldn't go to college. I didn't give a **** about blowback from doing so and would be honest with parents.
Yes, this is a big part of the problem. A lot of people who were simply poor students or severely underprepared for college go and drop out, and end up in worse financial shape than ever.

Old 03-19-2018, 10:09 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Many people I know who don't end up at at 4 year institution at least go get an associates at one of the technical or state branch colleges that's focused on a trade. That or they go work retail or something and work their way up the command chain.

I doubt they leave with much debt because it's only 2-years and the tuition is very, very reasonable, and many of them can still live at home or close to home with buddies, which negates or lowers rent.

I didn't have any friends who said they were gonna go to college because they felt like it. We didn't understand the concepts of debt, cost of living, loans, etc as high schoolers, but we did understand we wanted to do X career path, which would require X amount of school.

Nor did my guidance counselors seem to push college on everybody either. If anything, my counselors werent as much of a help as they could've been.

But regardless of why people choose to go to college, please squash the whole "everybody leaving $100K in debt" nonsense. It's just not true and people only say it to try to devalue the concept of college.
It's true that people do go to community colleges for blue collar trades.

Part of the problem is when people push people who aren't ambitious to get bachelor's degrees. Someone may get a BA in English or Chemistry. And if they didn't have good grades as an undergraduate and don't have money, with that BA or BS they may end up working in whatever retail store. Arts and sciences degrees are not meant as terminal degrees and you generally need at least a masters to really benefit from them.

Old 03-19-2018, 08:01 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
This argument is getting old. I've benefited from having a degree. Let's see how this works out in 10 years or so.

Also, don't get upset about H1Bs with degrees.
I think it's just fine for college-degreed American citizens to be upset about the expansion and abuses of the H1-B visa program.

Old 03-19-2018, 08:02 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
States the person who first posted the "lie" of guaranteed jobs for STEM graduates 25-30 years ago

Not to mention the "lie" of the 100k student debt

Yeah....your level of "understanding" is truly astounding.....
You're saying there is no such thing as a person with 100K in student debt?
That's not credible at all.

Lots of people owe 100K and even far more than that, in student loans.

Old 03-19-2018, 08:19 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
Only on City-Data could it be missed on a thread about declining college attendance the fact that college tuition has outpaced inflation and other COL indicators by a factor of more than five over the last couple of decades while the wages of 80% of American families have essentially remained the same. H1-B visas? Give me a break.

Old 03-19-2018, 08:43 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Only on City-Data could it be missed on a thread about declining college attendance the fact that college tuition has outpaced inflation and other COL indicators by a factor of more than five over the last couple of decades while the wages of 80% of American families have essentially remained the same. H1-B visas? Give me a break.
I mentioned expense being a factor in declining enrollment - post #29
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities