Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2018, 12:49 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,262,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
You know "more than a few" people with a Bachelors in Marine Biology? What exactly do they do?
This:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u8KUgUqprw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2018, 01:37 PM

24,623 posts, read 9,454,674 times
As a degree holder, the fact that it took me 120 credits to finally get it tells you all you need to know about how many bloated college credit elective courses I had to take.

Having a college education is not just about getting a job or better chance at a promotion. It is a legal justification to prevent people from being hired. That’s why it takes 120 credits, society and employers know the majority of Americans aren’t going to do it.

I’m glad I have the degree but it’s a scam. The course plan is bloated, just to keep random professors who teach classes about basket weaving employed.

Keep general education, keep courses related to your major, but for the love of God get rid of general electives. That’s 30 damn credits.

Old 04-18-2018, 01:59 PM

45,378 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
As a degree holder, the fact that it took me 120 credits to finally get it tells you all you need to know about how many bloated college credit elective courses I had to take.

Having a college education is not just about getting a job or better chance at a promotion. It is a legal justification to prevent people from being hired. That’s why it takes 120 credits, society and employers know the majority of Americans aren’t going to do it.

I’m glad I have the degree but it’s a scam. The course plan is bloated, just to keep random professors who teach classes about basket weaving employed.

Keep general education, keep courses related to your major, but for the love of God get rid of general electives. That’s 30 damn credits.
Weren't your general electives "you pick"? The reason for those is to have the student stretch his horizons into something not considered before, and nothing stops you from taking something that's corollary to your major.

You're either an engineer or an accountant aren't you?

Old 04-18-2018, 02:05 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times
I am beginning to think that the BEST jobs and careers for most people now are only those that MUST be performed locally and 'hands on" (for example, medical professionals, police and firefighting, home construction or repair, etc.). I think that any job that can be done by machines (computers or robots) or by poorly paid laborers in other countries will be, sooner or later.

Old 04-18-2018, 04:56 PM

10,742 posts, read 5,668,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post

It's too bad that in the process of getting a degree, you failed to get educated.

Old 04-18-2018, 05:54 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Weren't your general electives "you pick"? The reason for those is to have the student stretch his horizons into something not considered before, and nothing stops you from taking something that's corollary to your major.

Those general electives are a godsend for some students, who never would have found their calling, if they hand't been required to dabble in different disciplines. For others, it's a way to round out their education with courses not offered in high school. In Europe, general college electives aren't necessary, because the high school education is much more rigorous than ours. There's more science, economics, world history, and so forth. Some of that has now been added to the high school curriculum for college-bound students in the US, only because flagship public colleges finally started requiring it. But there are still gaps in the education of high school grads, so that has to be compensated for in college.

Old 04-18-2018, 06:09 PM

50,772 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Those general electives are a godsend for some students, who never would have found their calling, if they hand't been required to dabble in different disciplines. For others, it's a way to round out their education with courses not offered in high school. In Europe, general college electives aren't necessary, because the high school education is much more rigorous than ours. There's more science, economics, world history, and so forth. Some of that has now been added to the high school curriculum for college-bound students in the US, only because flagship public colleges finally started requiring it. But there are still gaps in the education of high school grads, so that has to be compensated for in college.
I feel like a big part of the problem is students picking a major before they really know what they want. I had no clue what I wanted to major in when I went at age 26, so I started at community college and took a variety of courses. Then when I decided on OT, I had to go an extra semester to take statistics and one or two other courses in order to meet the transfer pre-requisites of my transfer University, but it was still much cheaper than going to a 4 year from the get go would've have been.

Not to mention I was a high school dropout who wouldn't have been accepted then. CC gave me a chance to start anew and prove myself, earning a.3.98 GPA and with it, a $6,000 award at my transfer school for having the highest GPA of the incoming OT class. People think 4 years look down on CC students, not true.

Especially if you're taking general courses, there's no reason on earth not to do the first two years at CC if keeping costs low is a concern. Then you have time to figure out what you really want because you're not shelling out $45,000 a year.

Old 04-18-2018, 09:23 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I feel like a big part of the problem is students picking a major before they really know what they want. I had no clue what I wanted to major in when I went at age 26, so I started at community college and took a variety of courses. Then when I decided on OT, I had to go an extra semester to take statistics and one or two other courses in order to meet the transfer pre-requisites of my transfer University, but it was still much cheaper than going to a 4 year from the get go would've have been.

Not to mention I was a high school dropout who wouldn't have been accepted then. CC gave me a chance to start anew and prove myself, earning a.3.98 GPA and with it, a $6,000 award at my transfer school for having the highest GPA of the incoming OT class. People think 4 years look down on CC students, not true.

Especially if you're taking general courses, there's no reason on earth not to do the first two years at CC if keeping costs low is a concern. Then you have time to figure out what you really want because you're not shelling out $45,000 a year.
Congratulations! It sounds like it worked out well for you!

Old 04-18-2018, 11:16 PM

50,772 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Congratulations! It sounds like it worked out well for you!
Yes, I am very glad I did it that way. Aside from money, I really liked my CC. I hadn't been a student in years, and the accessability of the teachers at CC was really important in the beginning. My algebra instructor once called half a dozen students at home because they hadn't done well on a quiz he was grading, and we had a test on Monday. She told them to come an hour early so she could go over it again. She really cared that we succeeded. You could just knock on a teachers door and they'd talk to you.

In my university it was different. Even though we had the same small group of teachers the entire program, if you wanted to talk to them about something you had to leave a request for an appointment in their mailbox.

One of my friends, despite my trying hard to help her, flunked out at the end of the first year. I never felt they tried very hard to keep it from happening, and IMO they seemed to be kind of cold about the whole thing.

Old 04-18-2018, 11:42 PM

24,623 posts, read 9,454,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post

I can stretch my horizon through random Wikipedia articles, Netflix documentaries, and the history channel for free. I dreaded paying all that money in tuition per credit on electives.

My major was information management systems, so in the sphere of engineering. Luckily when I go for my Masters it won't be as bloated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
It's too bad that in the process of getting a degree, you failed to get educated.
Guess I'm just another product of that great American education.

Quote:
Those general electives are a godsend for some students, who never would have found their calling, if they hand't been required to dabble in different disciplines.
That's great but the vast majority of general elective courses are picked by easiness for folks to finish their degree. Want to know where the college dropout rate comes from? Look no further than forcing young kids to take unnecessary classes to "broaden their horizon" at the cost of tuition.

Last edited by Rocko20; 04-19-2018 at 12:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities