Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 11:31 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
He likely was already high on the list and would have gotten into a few ivies anyway. Add on that he is black and no school would waitlist him and they would just move him to the front. This is the definition of true Affirmative Action, while still negative it isn’t as much a pick up as it is a seperation from others. An Ivy will not accept a black student with a 4.0 weighted GPA and 1400 SAT. But make that his numbers your guaranteed a spot at every Ivy League school you want.

What You Need For Harvard: Admission Requirements
He had a 25% chance roughly of making it and he smashed their average GPA score at a relatively prestigious high school, Lamar High School Houston, and his SAT was right on the money. I have no doubt he would have gotten into a few ivies, I know someone with a 1500 around SAT and a 4.4 something GPA who got into 5 ivies (she is black). I only know two people personally with better scores than her but both of them had dream schools that they both got into, so I couldn’t compare it to them. I do know a few Indian guys who had similar grades just slightly lower SATs who couldn’t get into any ivies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Speech and debate is a pretty big deal, especially if you're successful on the national circuit. I don't know of any good schools in Houston, but a lot of the Bronx Science team goes to the Ivy League. Same with Harker, Horace Mann, etc.
Okay. Interesting. Thanks to both of you.

Just wondering. My son only applied to one Ivy...Cornell. And he was accepted but didn’t attend.

Old 04-01-2018, 11:32 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,753,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
yes please enlighten us as to why you feel that way.
My feelings have little to do with it.

It's simply a fact that many kids with 1540 SAT's get rejected by elite schools that are looking for something extra. The Texas kid has that something - he's black. Nobody is more in demand than a black kid with good test scores.

Old 04-01-2018, 11:33 PM

9,971 posts, read 5,669,596 times
Hard to say without knowing where his SAT scores and GPA fall within each school's range for incoming freshmen. The data is probably out there somewhere for each school but I don't feel like compiling it. If they both fall above the average, well there's your answer. If they both fall below the average, there's your answer for that too. If they were near the average, or one was above and one was below, then it was probably the tiebreaker for at least some.

Old 04-01-2018, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
My feelings have little to do with it.

It's simply a fact that many kids with 1540 SAT's get rejected by elite schools that are looking for something extra. The Texas kid has that something - he's black. Nobody is more in demand than a black kid with good test scores.
What about his ACT score?

Old 04-01-2018, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Hard to say without knowing where his SAT scores and GPA fall within each school's range for incoming freshmen. The data is probably out there somewhere for each school but I don't feel like compiling it. If they both fall above the average, well there's your answer. If they both fall below the average, there's your answer for that too. If they were near the average, or one was above and one was below, then it was probably the tiebreaker for at least some.
But you don’t find it odd that all of these kids have been black, and with one exception, the children of African immigrants?

Old 04-01-2018, 11:36 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,753,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Okay. Interesting. Thanks to both of you.

Just wondering.
Who are you and what have you done with the real desertdetroiter?

Old 04-01-2018, 11:37 PM

911 posts, read 261,907 times
Wow he was accepted @ all 20..... He has quite a few choices then which to go with!!

Anyone wanna guess which 1 he will pick?

Old 04-01-2018, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Who are you and what have you done with the real desertdetroiter?
Huh?

Old 04-01-2018, 11:38 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,066,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
If you look at prepscholar you’ll see the admissions for every school. GPA wise especially at Lamar High School not many people are beating his GPA in fact it is almost impossible to have higher than a 4.8 GPA imo. SAT wise he matches most ivies or is slightly ahead of the average.

Old 04-01-2018, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambo View Post
Wow he was accepted @ all 20..... He has quite a few choices then which to go with!!

Anyone wanna guess which 1 he will pick?
By all accounts, Stanford. That’s his dream school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities