Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 09:45 AM

4,859 posts, read 6,918,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
That s what I was thinking
Just how to do the LPN route. Because an LPN makes similisr hourly pay to what I make right now in Texas that's like an extra $5 to $10 an hour.

Only downside is program is full time M-F 8 to 4. Part time is 6 to 10 M-T or Then M/W or T/Tr 6 to 10 & Sat 8 to 3. I work variable rotating shifts during the week. Rotating evenings 3 to 1130 on the weekend's.

Without me scanning your other threads on your status my advice to you IF YOU ARE NOT MARRIED OR HAVE SMALL CHILDREN, is to put in applications in all neighboring states with LPN programs as recommended by kyle 19124. After being wait listed the first time, that's what I would have done.

With your grades there are programs all over the place that would take you in a heartbeat.

You can get a part time job to pay expenses at your school's location. Borrow some money for living expenses if you have to in order to get your life jump started. It's only for about a year.

In our area LPN jobs are in such demand that most nursing homes will give you a sign on bonus of thousands of dollars if you stay at least a year. Pay is moving up as well due to the supply and demand.

Once in as an LPN keep taking the pre-requisites towards your RN. Many schools have programs set up exclusively as LPN to RN. Usually (but not always) these are for your Associate degree. No matter. You'll get paid the same as an RN with a Bachelors degree. If you wish to advance as an RN though, you'll need to get your Bachelors as most the time you won't even get an interview.

My youngest daughter went the slow route of CNA to LPN to RN in just this method and it worked out great for her. My wife worked as an RN in critical care for over 22 years with her Associate Degree then got her Bachelors online from a reputable university (be careful on this one) in order to move up in her profession.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 09:48 AM

Quote:
That is what I was considering.

Just how to do the LPN route is the question. Because an LPN makes very similar hourly pay to what I make right now in various State's. For example Texas is about $20-$24 an hour.

Only downside is the program is full time M-F 8 to 4. Part time is 6 to 10 M-T or M/W or T/Tr 6 to 10 & Sat 8 to 3. I work variable rotating shifts during the week. Rotating evenings 3 to 1130 on the weekend's.

So the rub is seeing if work can work with me to make my schedule flexible to go back to school. I could do full time work and part time schooling. I would be done in 2 yrs and most nursing pre reqs in other States are less strigent with time span from when you taken your pre reqs. Most are 10 yrs up here it's 5 yrs.

Down South more LPN to RN programs as well as LPN to BSN programs.

The other rub is LPN school is $30,000 to $35,000 total here. Tried applying to States like Texas for work. If you don't have a license or going to the same company it's difficult to find work out of your State.

That's crazy. Expand your horizons and move to South Dakota for one year just for the tuition savings.

Cost at Southeast Technical Institute in Sioux Falls, SD:

Tuition: $5,472 Fees: $6,808 Books & Supplies: $2,486 Physical and Immunizations: $100 Licensure Fees: $350 Background Check & Drug Screen: $110 Other: $325 TOTAL: $15,651

https://www.southeasttech.edu/academ...nursing_(lpn)/

STI also has an excellent LPN to RN program.

Last edited by jmgg; 04-09-2018 at 10:05 AM..

Old 04-09-2018, 11:30 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,687,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
That's crazy. Expand your horizons and move to South Dakota for one year just for the tuition savings.

Cost at Southeast Technical Institute in Sioux Falls, SD:

Tuition: $5,472 Fees: $6,808 Books & Supplies: $2,486 Physical and Immunizations: $100 Licensure Fees: $350 Background Check & Drug Screen: $110 Other: $325 TOTAL: $15,651

https://www.southeasttech.edu/academ...nursing_(lpn)/

STI also has an excellent LPN to RN program.
Welcome to CT. Taxes, sky high education cost, and crummy weather ha!

Old 04-09-2018, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Welcome to CT. Taxes, sky high education cost, and crummy weather ha!

You should feel right at home in South Dakota. We don't have the high taxes or sky high education cost, but we can sure match your crummy weather. 5" of snow yesterday and we're expecting another delightful weekend as another mid-April snowstorm is forcast.

Old 04-09-2018, 03:15 PM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
You should feel right at home in South Dakota. We don't have the high taxes or sky high education cost, but we can sure match your crummy weather. 5" of snow yesterday and we're expecting another delightful weekend as another mid-April snowstorm is forcast.
Not to jump all over South Dakota but for around the same amount (16K) the OP can move to South Carolina minus the crummy weather with better job opportunity while attending school along with lower living costs in places like Columbia or Greenville-Spartanburg.

Old 04-09-2018, 03:19 PM

9,909 posts, read 7,687,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Not to jump all over South Dakota but for around the same amount (16K) the OP can move to South Carolina minus the crummy weather with better job opportunity while attending school along with lower living costs in places like Columbia or Greenville-Spartanburg.
Funny thing tried applying for job's in both Carolina's. Virginia and Florida as well.

Last edited by RunD1987; 04-09-2018 at 03:45 PM..

Old 04-10-2018, 07:05 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,369,714 times
Check out El Centro College LVN program. I'm pretty sure it's a lot less than $30 grand.

Old 04-11-2018, 07:19 AM

22,137 posts, read 19,198,797 times
Get basic training as a health tech or LPN or LVN. Get a job with the federal government (jobs listed on USAJobs.gov). This gives you full time work experience and full time salary and benefits and paid on the job training and positions you for a career track with advancement.

In addition and most important there are many federal employers who will pay for your further nursing education. I know people who have used this to go from LVN to get their RN then their Masters or PhD in nursing on up to being an NP.

I also know people who have done on their own RN school and finished with around $80,000 in debt but within a year or two of working as a traveling RN paid off all their debt.

Also look into federal government jobs that will forgive/ pay off your student debt if you work x number of yeats or in a certain area.

Best wishes you have many options and a great career ahead of you!

Old 04-11-2018, 04:37 PM

788 posts, read 1,740,442 times
I'm a RN and IMO thosePTAs and COTAs have a pretty good gig. I would not pay 30k to become a LPN. I'd apply to those therapy programs if the tuition was reasonable.

Old 04-12-2018, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rya700 View Post
I'm a RN and IMO thosePTAs and COTAs have a pretty good gig. I would not pay 30k to become a LPN. I'd apply to those therapy programs if the tuition was reasonable.

That is pretty true. Pay for a PTA is, at least around here, pretty much the same as a LPN and it beats wiping butts as being part of your job description. It takes a very caring person to be a LPN and do a good job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities