Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 03:12 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,602,405 times

Advertisements

Re: CPA -- this is a 3-day exam requiring a BA and a certain number of accounting classes. I wonder if the original poster meant a bookkeeping certificate? This is a much easier and less expensive test.

I agree that the OP might want to look into a two-year accounting degree, but the earlier suggestion about a two-year degree in programming sounds like the way to go to me, as well. the initial salaries will be higher and the work more challenging.

If the OP is interested in teaching, there are a lot of positions open in math around the country.

I also agree with the suggestion about visiting the college placement office.

OP, this is a tough situation, but it is repairable, which starts with some good career research and some soul searching. What problems do you want to solve at work each day? Answer that question, and you'll have a direction to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2018, 03:15 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Because, they would be making minimum wage, or slightly higher, otherwise. Or they do not want to be in the skilled trades (plumber/welder/construction/etc.) Or their field does not pay well.

Many fulltime jobs in my daughter's field pay $45,000 to $50,000 after ten years. Sadly, most of those jobs are now requiring a master's degree and not just an undergraduate degree and have a starting salary of $35,000 to $40,000.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Just simply incredible. What field is your daughter in anyway?
Public health/social work.

My sister was a social worker, too. I remember when her son (my nephew) got his first job out of college as an engineer. His first salary, with only an undergraduate degree, was substantially more than my sister was making with a masters degree and 25 plus years of experience.

Old 04-08-2018, 03:58 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,814,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Public health/social work.

My sister was a social worker, too. I remember when her son (my nephew) got his first job out of college as an engineer. His first salary, with only an undergraduate degree, was substantially more than my sister was making with a masters degree and 25 plus years of experience.
Sad. I have 2 degrees in math and did far better than that.

In fact, I am retired now and my retirement income today is much more than the salaries that you've posted.

Math can be a good base for many fields but it is up to the individual to decide what that field might be.

It wouldn't be a good preparation for the CPA though. The math required for a math degree (the "pure" math) is almost totally unrelated to the math required in the CPA exam. But if Op has already taken some intro accounting courses, they could be a start.

Old 04-08-2018, 04:14 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post

It wouldn't be a good preparation for the CPA though. The math required for a math degree (the "pure" math) is almost totally unrelated to the math required in the CPA exam. But if Op has already taken some intro accounting courses, they could be a start.
Of course the OP would have to take coursework, to prepare for a CPA career. But it could turn out to be a good fit for him/her. There's nothing wrong with going back to school for an extra year, or whatever, to develop a career track after a BA. Some people do it, to get a teaching certificate, for example, after getting their BA, and finding they have few, if any, satisfying options. OP, you might find a CPA program that has a summer semester option, so you could finish that much faster. Or a bookkeeping program. Just a thought.

For that matter, the OP could consider a teaching certificate in math. There certainly is demand for that. S/he could practically pick the geographic area s/he prefers to live in; they nearly all need math teachers, if working with kids seems like it might be a decent fit.

Old 04-08-2018, 04:16 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
You need skills not an advanced degree
The rest is about courage
Vocational only from hereon
Accounting has 2 levels flunky and cpa nothing in between been there done that
The flunky competition is unbelievable
I’m just saying
40 years ago they said college grad makes more than blue collar
Today 70%of Starbucks workers have a 4 year degree make $9.34 an hour and pay out of that their student loan
Consider blue or pink collar trade job

Old 04-08-2018, 05:40 PM

724 posts, read 592,967 times
My advise to you: stop worrying about getting a job and start a business. I’ve never talked to one person in my life with a “job†that enjoys it. Use your mathematical skills to create a business for yourself. Read some books on how to start a small business. You may have to do something less than desirable for a couple of years to save up the capital to launch. Have you thought about real estate? Getting a CPA..bookkeeping etc. If you work for yourself you always have a great boss! Most millionaires own their own business.

Old 04-08-2018, 06:12 PM

323 posts, read 221,782 times
I don't understand why you keep saying its your fault. Stop beating yourself down. You sure might have brain smarts, but you're lacking in other areas. You're so young!! Who cares if you live at home. Just get wjatever job you can. You're doing all the right things. Try CPA, maybe try to volunteer or do part time shadowing another accountant? Cut yourself some slack. There are a lot of people trying to find work, regardless of education.

Old 04-08-2018, 07:10 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,690,565 times
There's always substitute teaching, anything dealing with math. You can tell them which grade, subject, and school(s) you want to work at. Teaching means you're done at 2:30 - 3:30 so you have the rest of the day off. Some love that.

Old 04-08-2018, 08:05 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,814,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollaces View Post
There's always substitute teaching, anything dealing with math. You can tell them which grade, subject, and school(s) you want to work at. Teaching means you're done at 2:30 - 3:30 so you have the rest of the day off. Some love that.
I'd go further than that and apply for a full-time math teaching job in one of the high schools where OP lives. Some places have a tough time time finding math teachers, they might offer him a job with a temp (provisional?) teaching certificate and then go from there.

I taught a couple of intro math courses in grad school, teaching is far more difficult than most people think but its good experience. And it would be something very credible even if just for a year or so.

Last edited by Weichert; 04-08-2018 at 09:02 PM..

Old 04-08-2018, 09:47 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,254,136 times
Story of my life! Not sure how much my advice would help because it was long time ago and in another country. But otherwise the same deal: I did well in math in high school and ended up with a Math major in the first year. The only difference was that I realized almost immediately it was a huge mistake because there was just math, math, and math. I didn't know there was so much to it, LOL. So I ended up just dropping off after one year, didn't even bother about trying to get any credit. (Luckily, we had free education but you had to pass a competitive test.)

Next year, I applied at the Economics faculty that had evening classes. The program was meant for what is now called Solution Architects, we were essentially taught how to design enterprise software. We had a very diverse program and I graduated with double major in Economics and Computer Science in 6 years. Because I also worked during the day, I had practical skills as well. This was the best decision of my life and I'm so happy I admitted the defeat by Math.

As others correctly pointed out, many areas in Computer Science and Economics overlap with Math. If anything, you actually have excellent background to branch out into so many professions. All you need is to figure out what you really want to do and put together a plan on how to get there.

LinkedIn seems to be a to-go place for job ads these days. See what's in demand in your area or maybe you can move to be close to the right opportunity? You're young and it has many advantages.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities