Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2018, 06:55 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
That might be the lofty goal, but the reality is that there are lot of people who are there to get the easiest degree possible, which will enable them to get a better job that pays more money. They don't want to learn. They don't want to expand their minds. They just want the piece of paper so they can get paid more.
And that's fine. They can do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2018, 05:04 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,002,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Frankly, this question is asked in bad faith. You're already showing you have a closed mind with your dismissive reference to SJWs and diversity.

Seems like you just don't want to be exposed to people or ideas that differ from yours and just stay in your own little bubble.

Well you can choose to do this at many different universities and colleges - how you want to engage or not engage is totally up to you. But you will lose an opportunity to learn about other ideas and commune with other people.

Education isn't just about book learning, it's about exchange of ideas between people, collaboration. Seems like you don't care to do the latter.
OP wants to get an education without learning anything new. What's wrong with that?

Old 07-01-2018, 06:34 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,314,290 times
I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with the OP's desire to just get the education he needs for that piece of paper to find a good job and make money; nothing wrong with that at all. I understand his view...he just wants to cut to the chase get his degree and move on with his life, a degree in hand. I get it.

But (IMHO) the point of an education is far more than just learning the three R's, "readin', ritin' and rithmetic'", those are all very basic skills.

There are reasons for those other classes that, currently the OP doesn't realize or care about, OP sees no value in them. OP may come to understand that as he makes his way in this big, huge global community of ours "no man is an island (unto himself)". We as human beings need to learn the things which we have never lived in our lifetimes in order to broaden and expand our horizons with our fellow man/woman.

If he insists on this singular purpose and does achieve only what he thinks is necessary now...in the end he may come to regret it. I have to believe the knowledge and skills he would acquire with those other classes would be very beneficial when he looks to acquire clients (from all walks of life) as well as maintain those relationships through necessary social interactions and obligations. He may end up feeling or coming off as...socially backwards and uninformed; awkward.

Otherwise he is just an 'educated' laborer in the back room doing factory work (nothing at all wrong with factory work or the people who do it, I worked a punch press myself while achieving my higher education). It's a job and it's a paycheck and sometimes that is the best people can do for themselves but it doesn't require or need an education/degree from University.

Again, JMHO and first two cents of the day.

Old 07-01-2018, 05:38 PM

729 posts, read 532,872 times
Default Not looking for job

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
… OP's desire to just get the education he needs for that piece of paper to find a good job and make money
I am not looking for a job. I am retired now for 3 years. I just want the math education through the degrees. But I do not want Marxist, SJW, diversity and/or far left liberal ideology forced down my throat via so called "general education" requirements. If general education courses must be required then, as stated at the beginning post, I want those courses to be in the CLASSICAL liberal arts conservative viewpoint.

I finally found 2 universities that meet my requirements. Oxford and Cambridge in the UK will do. Over there it seems that when you study a subject, you study JUST that subject. No fluff courses. However, it is over there and not here. I cannot afford that.

I have resigned myself to no degrees. I'll just go to the libraries and Amazon and read and read and read.

Therefore:
Moderator, I guess there is no more point to this thread. If you agree, please close this thread.

I thank everyone for their views and input.

Old 07-01-2018, 06:10 PM

What is an SJW? I really hate abbreviations and find them to be quite lazy.

Old 07-01-2018, 06:16 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,496,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
What is an SJW? I really hate abbreviations and find them to be quite lazy.
Social Justice Warrior

Old 07-01-2018, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Social Justice Warrior
That's a new one on me. Never heard of that. Oh well.

Old 07-01-2018, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with the OP's desire to just get the education he needs for that piece of paper to find a good job and make money; nothing wrong with that at all. I understand his view...he just wants to cut to the chase get his degree and move on with his life, a degree in hand. I get it..
True. Some people aren't into the college campus scene. Many professors today can also push their own political viewpoints onto students. I had this experience and it wasn't pleasant. It can completely take over a college class to the point where the professor's ego is on full display and the students don't learn what they should.

Old 07-01-2018, 10:53 PM

2,448 posts, read 893,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvatron99 View Post
I just wouldn't go to college. The whole point is to go and learn and expand your mind, if you refuse to do that, then what is the point?
Just out of curiosity, is that your standard response to the thousands who go to college and have their SJW beliefs confirmed by their profs and diversicrats?

Old 07-02-2018, 10:07 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
That's a new one on me. Never heard of that. Oh well.
People who use the term generally don't mean it as a compliment, and have a very cartoonish viewpoint of what social justice actually is.

As for the OP, it seems like if he or she doesn't need a degree for work purposes or if they think a college environment doesn't suit their needs, they should look into lifelong learning courses, explore options as a non-degree student, or take advantage of online MOOCs or programs.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 07-02-2018 at 10:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities