Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2018, 05:31 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,348,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
For a bunch of nobodies doing nothing, they sure do scare the bejabbers out of people like you!
Exactly. So who's the snowflake in this situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2018, 06:27 PM

804 posts, read 544,636 times
All you have to know is this. Your with a student talking about racism whether they are racist or not. That person is already dead or is blessed with a family that is wealthy.

Also you have to understand there are things being done to various groups of people, gender, and blah blah. It is important but not the end of the world.

.................................................. .................................................. ......

Go to Cuba?

Mexico has college and so does

Jamaica

Dominica republic

Britannia

Russia ( very selective and narrow )

Learn Japanese and study in Japan. This one guy studied electrical engineer and is now leading a study in

Japan.

Old 07-25-2018, 07:55 PM

2,448 posts, read 892,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Exactly. So who's the snowflake in this situation?
I've mentioned the deleterious effects of SJW dogma as it makes its way into public policy, not just its deleterious effects on higher education. Did you forget that part? I'm starting to wonder if I'm debating some geriatrics who haven't been in a college classroom in many years and whose short-term memories are fading.

Old 07-25-2018, 09:23 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,744,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post

Someone who has been forced out of his hard-science cocoon and made to demonstrate competency in studies of the arts, of history, of the social sciences. That's what it means to hold a bachelor's degree.
If someone is majoring in one of the hard sciences, taking extra classes in the arts, history, or social sciences seem like a waste of time and money. Because you're most likely not going to use what you've learned in those classes in a career in a science field.

Old 07-25-2018, 09:35 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,744,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
No, the point of college is to prepare you to critically think, analyze, and express yourself effectively. To prepare you for life.
And when someone graduates, they'll end up with a mountain of debt, no job, broke, and back living with mom and dad.

Old 07-25-2018, 09:39 PM

2,448 posts, read 892,755 times
"I Was the Mob Until the Mob Came For Me"

Characteristic of other cults:
https://quillette.com/2018/07/14/i-w...b-came-for-me/

Old 07-26-2018, 04:56 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
If someone is majoring in one of the hard sciences, taking extra classes in the arts, history, or social sciences seem like a waste of time and money. Because you're most likely not going to use what you've learned in those classes in a career in a science field.
You need those so you can talk to marketing and purchasing and finance because there is no chance in double toothpicks that they will learn how to talk to you.

Old 07-26-2018, 07:35 PM

Quote:
And when someone graduates, they'll end up with a mountain of debt, no job, broke, and back living with mom and dad.
If you don't know how to critically think, analyze and have life skills, those will happen to you and you won't get ahead.

Old 07-26-2018, 07:38 PM

Quote:
If someone took your advice, that student is probably unlikely to do well in a job interview and can't think beyond his/her own field.

Fortunately we have breadth requirements in school.

Old 07-27-2018, 05:23 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
You really need to put more thought into your replies. In one sentence, you argue that students are in college to be exposed to new ideas. In another, you argue that they're there "to get a degree to help you get a job." Would you like to pick one definitive answer and get back to us?

The only folks on public university campuses these days demanding that they not be exposed to ideas they don't like are SJWs. This is why they push for speech restrictions and penalties for those who deviate from SJW orthodoxy. What do you think about speech codes? I take it you must vociferously object to these codes, given what you've written?

"Political agendas" have no place in the classroom. Period. This is why you should object to any teacher who uses the classroom as a platform to advance an ideology rather than teach.
I was there to get my degrees, not to object to teachers. Frankly didn't care about the professors at all, in the since that my only objective was to graduate, and I did that twice.

Apparently you have no degree, and are a right wing activists. That's your choice if you want to live like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities